Internet Piracy

26 posts

Flag Post

What are your views on piracy? Do you think it’s equivalent to real life stealing of goods? Personally,i think that it is bad for business because it takes away potential sales.

Flag Post

Most people who pirate a game/movie usually have no interest in buying it in the first place. Or in other cases they had a legal copy of the game/movie but it was destroyed/lost.

The other people just wouldn’t buy it anyway due to lack of funds.

Flag Post

Generally I believe that if you wouldn’t have bought the item for retail price, it’s morally reasonable to pirate it. You’re not depriving anyone of anything because there never would have been a sale. You’re not ‘stealing’ in the real world sense because no physical item is taken. You’re only enhancing your own enjoyment at zero cost to anyone else.

Not in all cases, but most.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

Generally I believe that if you wouldn’t have bought the item for retail price, it’s morally reasonable to pirate it. You’re not depriving anyone of anything because there never would have been a sale. You’re not ‘stealing’ in the real world sense because no physical item is taken. You’re only enhancing your own enjoyment at zero cost to anyone else.

Not in all cases, but most.

Most games that I priate are either really old games that aren’t sold, games I’ve had but lost, or relatively new games that have a ton of bugs and I’m waiting for them to get sorted out before I buy the real thing.

Pirated a few books but only because they weren’t really “avaliable” (mein kampf translated by non zionist, etc)

Flag Post

I’ll pirate if its an old book that is either no-longer sold, or very difficult to get ahold of. Most of the time I find its more rewarding in the long run to do it properly, as then the booksellers get a feel for what I like, and start recommending other titles I otherwise wouldn’t know about.

Sometimes it offers a conduit to bother the author as well, which is often nice, and something else it would be difficult to replicate with a pirated book.

At one time I would pirate more books, often doing it myself with a digital photocopier and a physical copy of the book. I still have a few old copies of books I pirated that way, laying about. But with the advent of digital publishing, there’s no longer a concern about how much physical space they’re occupying.

It is still a problem occasionally when I find something that is not available in a digital version. Conference proceedings are often annoying like that. If you’re paying over £100 for them, you’d think they would offer a paperless version more often. It’s not as if they have mainstream appeal. In those cases, I am still not above borrowing someone else’s copy and the scanner.

I don’t as a general rule, pirate software. What’s the point? It’ll get written off against tax if I buy it, so I’m not losing money either way. Plus the legal version then gives me perks like being able to update the software as new patches come out, or sell products based on it without running into legal problems myself.

Flag Post

Some series like The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad aren’t coming out in Europe (At least in the Netherlands) and when they do they come out in dvd boxes, and they cost a LOT, like 30 euros or something (About 40 dollars)
That’s really annoying, and that’s why i get the urge to download them sometimes (I dont do it in the end)

Flag Post

Currently, I don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, I could just borrow a friend’s copy and then return it after I’m done with it. Perfectly legal. As for the future, who knows.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

Most people who pirate a game/movie usually have no interest in buying it in the first place. Or in other cases they had a legal copy of the game/movie but it was destroyed/lost.

The other people just wouldn’t buy it anyway due to lack of funds.

You forgot to include the part where some people will actually buy the game/movie if they like it, or buy the following sequels and/or prequels.

Flag Post

Until publisher’s realise there are no oceans on the internet and that they are often quite simply overcharging for the amount of entertainment you get for your money then piracy will still exist.

Alot of games now (for PC atleast) seem to be coming out at around £25 rather than the more common £45 a couple years ago and this is likely to try to get people buying not pirating. £45 is alot of money to alot of people, it’s a days wages on minimum wage and with other bills to pay can you afford all that on a game?

When I talk about value I always think in terms of my wage, how many hours will I have to work, compared to how many hours fun I get from the game. Civ was worth the money, £30+£20+£20=£70 for the game and expansions but I have sunk over 300 hours into it so that is about 25p per hour of entertainment.

The new SimCity which I pre-ordered like a idiot SimCity4 fan on the other hand I have played just 5 hours of because it is awful, at £60 that’s £12 per hour.

When you buy a game and it turns out to be crap, you have lost money, but pirating it is free so you don’t risk your money (unless you get sued to hell of course)

I was very tempted to pirate Civ5 Brave New World, I owned Civ+XP1 and had spent 300 hours in them and could not wait to get my hands on XP2, however as we all know the UK is not 6-8 hours ahead of America, but is atleast 1 week behind. Why oh why do companies not release world wide?

If I am spending money to get a game in a week when I could download it right now then something is wrong!

Flag Post

Yarr, it be a pirate’s life for me and me crew, matey.
On a more serious note, I’d prefer to give EA, Activision, Zynga, etc. as little of my money as possible, and also, it can sorta act as a demo. I’ve pirated a game to see if it’s any good, and if I like it enough then I’ll buy it, but if it sucks then I didn’t pay anything for it and can be on my merry way.

Flag Post

There are poor people out there. It’s a good thing.

Flag Post

i think we may pirate whatever we want cuz we have freedom of internet. if game developers want us to stop pirating they should find another job. and tpb doesnt work anymore and even proxies dont work anymore and they think that will stop piracy but there are like 10000 pirate sites

Flag Post

The things I pirate I generally wouldn’t bother with otherwise. It’s one of those ’it’s free and I have some extra time, so why not’ things. Or else, if it really interested me, I’d wait until it came on TV and I’d record it.

To all those who are adamantly against it, why would it be any better to borrow a DVD from a friend? Or to take music from someone else’s iTunes?

Flag Post

what is keeping us from saying “don’t track up”, if you have nothing to hide then don’t hide it.

Flag Post

Honestly, there wouldn’t be so many game pirates if more developers put out demos. Sure, it reduces sales, but I’d much rather buy a game once I know that it’s good and I want to keep playing it, otherwise I’d pirate it to get a taste, in which case I’d be more likely to simply keep the pirated copy and not buy a legit one.

Flag Post

I believe all forms of copyright law are illegitimate and wrong.

Flag Post

Piracy is bad. Really bad… But producers and retailers aren’t doing much to improve the problem either.

Flag Post

Interestingly I have recently purchased a game from a very respected and highly reputable game publisher called EA Games. As this game is now very cheap and doesn’t make them much money they have discontinued support for the game and it does not work on Windows 8 in it’s current form.

To solve this problem I have found a pirate crack which means the game that I legally purchased is now playable, however the fact that I had to go and search for an ‘illegal’ crack for a game I bough and that pirates seem to care more about the game’s players than EA do are not really great slogans in the Anti-piracy campaign

Flag Post

Interestingly I have recently purchased a game from a very respected and highly reputable game publisher called EA Games.

I’m not sure I’d call them Highly Respected. EA is pretty openly loathed by a great deal of the gaming community.

Here’s their response to being named “Worst Company” on a consumerist poll, again, two years running now.
http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

The hate on for EA has at least seemed to become something they are aware of. I for one find the company pretty irksome. Primarily for buying up excellent IP and then gutting it, and anti consumer security schemes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

Interestingly I have recently purchased a game from a very respected and highly reputable game publisher called EA Games.

I’m not sure I’d call them Highly Respected. EA is pretty openly loathed by a great deal of the gaming community.

Here’s their response to being named “Worst Company” on a consumerist poll, again, two years running now.
http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

The hate on for EA has at least seemed to become something they are aware of. I for one find the company pretty irksome. Primarily for buying up excellent IP and then gutting it, and anti consumer security schemes.

Yep I agree, I put it in italics as I was being sarcastic.

EA are pretty much the pro-piracy advertisement.

Flag Post

Oops, yup. Seems so obvious in retrospect. Heh, my apologies.

Flag Post

Piracy is driving entertainment and software industries to ruin.

There are poor people out there. It’s a good thing.

By that logic, I could steal anything that I can’t afford. The world’s upside down, don’t you see?

if game developers want us to stop pirating they should find another job.

Sorry, but this is just… ridicoulous.
I mean, you just can’t write something like that and still be supporting piracy without doubt. That’s what will happen, and then you’ll be screwed up because there will be no new games. And it will be your fault, and everyone pirating’s fault.

To all those who are adamantly against it, why would it be any better to borrow a DVD from a friend? Or to take music from someone else’s iTunes?

That’s a good point. The most used argument to defend piracy it’s that it’s sharing. But the difference between sharing a CD is that when piracying the file is massively downloaded by a great number of computers. And that hurts the creators more than just sharing a CD.
Edit:

Flag Post
Originally posted by potentpillow:

Honestly, there wouldn’t be so many game pirates if more developers put out demos. Sure, it reduces sales, but I’d much rather buy a game once I know that it’s good and I want to keep playing it, otherwise I’d pirate it to get a taste, in which case I’d be more likely to simply keep the pirated copy and not buy a legit one.

I agree with this. If I had a chance to see what the game was like before I buy it, I would be more open to buying it, but I dont want to spend money for a game I know I wont like.

Flag Post

Piracy will always be a big problem in the entertainment industry. No matter what you do, you cannot stop it. Doesnt look like anybody is making the effort either.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chris2Fly:

Piracy will always be a big problem in the entertainment industry. No matter what you do, you cannot stop it. Doesnt look like anybody is making the effort either.

Actually, there are game companys fighting against Piracy. I lost the article, but it was about game company’s adding glitches to fight back against it. Spyro, they make portals fail to open, eggs impossible to find, and changes the opening menu screen to German. I forgot which game, but they turn all the guns and ammo into chickens that do no damage. And multiple game company’s has been doing the same.