Badger cull page 2

35 posts

Flag Post

This debate has been going for a number of years now and still worth a look back at the original report in 2007

A bit like the curate’s egg, that one. Quite an eye opener in parts, almost unintelligible in others (I struggle with stuff like statistics). But I can’t deny that the conclusion of that report is as you stated. The links I provided are much more recent, so perhaps things have moved on a bit in the meantime. They certainly should have in six years. The TB free England link is either part of or affiliated to the NFU, the other is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, so I think they deserve to be taken seriously.

The solution is testing, quarantining and separation of livestock, and vaccination, however a few shotguns are alot cheaper and governments like cheap ways to look like they are tackling a problem, while actually doing nothing

Vaccines are not up to scratch, and are not expected to be for several years. And anyway, the EU has decided to make them illegal because of that. That leaves testing, which is ongoing, and quarantine, which may not be practical or even affordable in some cases. The National Farmers Union packs a hefty political punch, so it looks like the cheap solution is what we are going to get for the foreseeable future. They need to be seen to be supporting their members just as much as the government needs to be seen to be decisive. Even if, as may possibly be the case, they are both wrong. And judging by a comment on the BBC story yesterday by an anti-cull activist that it means the “extermination of the badger on British soil”, there is not much in the way of credible opposition.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

its only in pilot areas so it is a great way to find out if it works, if not oh well, worth a try.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cloud190:
Originally posted by DarrenC13:

It’s inhumane that they suffer in poor countries. Please don’t use bongo bongo land it is kind of offensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYK4BztRW0 he crys at the end saying it’s horrible but he does not donate himself.

No, no, you don’t understand, i’m not TRYING TO BE OFFENSIVE. In fact if you read my comment, it was a quote! Did you not see the news about the guy who called a certain country bongo bongo land! Don’t even post that i’m being offensive when I clearly posted that I hate people who say bongo bongo land!

no you said and i quote “haters of bongo bongo land” which means you hate people who hate africa

Flag Post

Reminder:

Read every post very well or read it twice. We’ve had enough misunderstandings for today.

Reminder:
Stop changing what you say cloud.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lastheart:

its only in pilot areas so it is a great way to find out if it works, if not oh well, worth a try.

I think you can only call something a “pilot” if it’s not been done often. It hasn’t worked in any previous trials, why should it start working now?

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

This debate has been going for a number of years now and still worth a look back at the original report in 2007

The summary is on page 3 of the PDF (paper page 5) and is only a couple paragraphs as I know some SD users don’t like reading.

Here is the important bit:

If someone was to think really hard. Anyone could tell that you’re right. It won’t make an impact on BTB at all.

The ISG’s work – most of which has already been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals – has reached two key conclusions. First, while badgers are clearly a source of
cattle TB, careful evaluation of our own and others’ data indicates that badger culling can make no meaningful contribution to cattle TB control in Britain. Indeed, some policies under consideration are likely to make matters worse rather than better. Second, weaknesses in cattle testing regimes mean that cattle themselves contribute significantly to the persistence and spread of disease in all areas where TB occurs, and in some parts of Britain are likely to be the main source of infection. Scientific findings indicate that the rising incidence of disease can be reversed, and geographical spread contained, by the rigid application of cattle-based control measures alone.

Basically the Independent Scientific Group on Bovine TB reach the conclusion that culling makes no real impact on the prevalence of bTB and can actually help spread the disease as badger’s flee from cull areas. The solution is testing, quarantining and separation of livestock, and vaccination, however a few shotguns are alot cheaper and governments like cheap ways to look like they are tackling a problem, while actually doing nothing

Wrong. If there are no badgers, than there are no infected ones, right? They want there to be as little infections as possible. They are making the infections by badgers go down an amazing Infinity% down to 0.

Flag Post
Originally posted by betterplayer:
-snip-

Wrong. If there are no badgers, than there are no infected ones, right? They want there to be as little infections as possible. They are making the infections by badgers go down an amazing Infinity% down to 0.

How are they going to achieve this 100% kill rate and who the hell authorized the local extinction of a species?

Also did you miss the whole part about how infected cattle also carry and transmit the disease?

I get the feeling you are either a moron, a troll or both by how much thought went into your post

Flag Post

Reminder:

Read every post very well or read it twice. We’ve had enough misunderstandings for today.

Reminder:

Reminder:

Reminder:

I’m not changing what i say! What do you mean?

Flag Post

It’s inhumane that they suffer in poor countries. Please don’t use bongo bongo land it is kind of offensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYK4BztRW0 he crys at the end saying it’s horrible but he does not donate himself.

No, no, you don’t understand, i’m not TRYING TO BE OFFENSIVE. In fact if you read my comment, it was a quote! Did you not see the news about the guy who called a certain country bongo bongo land! Don’t even post that i’m being offensive when I clearly posted that I hate people who say bongo bongo land!

no you said and i quote “haters of bongo bongo land” which means you hate people who hate africa

before you said that i was the one being offensive. You have changed your words, i haven’t changed mine.