AX:Evil must be punished simply for being evil, or should it?

17 posts

Flag Post

Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this. But there are so many deserving of retribution … and there is so little time.
-Walter Kovacs(Watchmen)

Although the lines above are from a from a comic book, but nothing ever made more sense to me than these lines.
My world is black and white, you are either good or evil.
There is no grey area, no evil deed should go unpunished for it was commited for the greater good.
Neither doen one act of greatness justify sinful past.
Agree or Disagree?

Flag Post

Oh, bullshit….there is damn little PURE black & white,,,
and one helluva lot of differing shades of gray in between.
Maybe ya should have made your comic book quote an Ax?

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Oh, bullshit….there is damn little PURE black & white,,,
and one helluva lot of differing shades of gray in between.
Maybe ya should have made your comic book quote an Ax?

I see that forum activity is down so that is why i am making threads randumbly

Flag Post

ranDUMBly
LOL

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:

I see that forum activity is down so that is why i am making threads randumbly

Well you got the dumbly part right. If you are going to make threads with so little (ie nil)real discussion value, as it is a paired down version of another thread still on page one, perhaps you should make them in OT?

There is literally nothing this thread offers the other one does not cover, and frankly the other one covers the topic better, by accepting that shades of gray are going to exist whenever two people’s opinions differ, and any time the natural world is involved. This one refuses to cover either possibility.

Flag Post

Bullshit. The definition of what is right or wrong depends on the current majority As soon as a new one takes over they will deem themselves the kings and queens of what is normal and everybody who doesn’t comply is defective to the new order.

I don’t believe it is black and white when it is all subjective and there is no normal view of the world.

Flag Post

I believe that the appropriate mindset is responsibility.

You should understand the moral schema of your environment, and the consequences of potential actions based on the moral scenario.

Your mindset should be simply to accept the responsibility imposed on you based on your actions.

So essentially, no right or wrong, just evaluate the general moral alignment and perform actions while knowing the consequences.

Whether you’re punished or not is based on your decision.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Immortal7777:

The definition of what is right or wrong depends on the current majority

This.

secondly, you don’t punish every sinful act, as a society, we discourage acts that we deem harmfull(there are probably other reasons but this one is core) enough.
You kill somebody, you have to be brought to trial.
you steal something, we re gonna investigate you and keep a tab on you, annoying and dangerous enough so you won’t commit that sin again.
You walk over the grass, we don’t realy care
(note that we don’t directly punish as to not make individuals paranoïd, we investigate and such and if we prove something, punishment will often follow)

Flag Post

There is no grey area, no evil deed should go unpunished for it was commited for the greater good.

So if someone cuts your hands off for stealing, he should also be punished, right?

Also I love how you connected your value system to a comic book sociopath.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

So if someone cuts your hands off for stealing, he should also be punished, right?

Also I love how you connected your value system to a comic book sociopath.

We are talking here on individual level not about law or society.

ranDUMBly
LOL

That was intentional

Originally posted by powerpos:
Originally posted by Immortal7777:

The definition of what is right or wrong depends on the current majority

This.

secondly, you don’t punish every sinful act, as a society, we discourage acts that we deem harmfull(there are probably other reasons but this one is core) enough.
You kill somebody, you have to be brought to trial.
you steal something, we re gonna investigate you and keep a tab on you, annoying and dangerous enough so you won’t commit that sin again.
You walk over the grass, we don’t realy care
(note that we don’t directly punish as to not make individuals paranoïd, we investigate and such and if we prove something, punishment will often follow)

Well that is the real question.
Should one be punished just because he did something evil or wrong or should one be punished because of the consiquences of his actions?
An example:
In the middle of night, I am going on an empty road at 240 kmph, with no chance of collision or accident, I get a ticket.
Now Rorschach’ fellow would say " Yes you evil doer you deserved it!"
Or I didn’t deserve it as my action although kind of “evil” but has no bad consiquences whatsoever?

Flag Post

There’s no way you can claim there was zero chance of a collision or accident at those kinds of speeds in the darkness.

Flag Post

Just going to leave this here:

“Wallatheena itha asabahumualbaghyu hum yantasiroon”

“And those who, when an oppressive wrong is done to them, they take revenge.”

Quran, Surat Ash-Shuraa 42:39

Flag Post
Originally posted by KakkoiiBishounen:

Just going to leave this here:

“Wallatheena itha asabahumualbaghyu hum yantasiroon”

“And those who, when an oppressive wrong is done to them, they take revenge.”

Quran, Surat Ash-Shuraa 42:39

Its more like
“And those who, when tyranny strikes them, they defend themselves,”
That is the closest translation in english, for the last word (Yantasiroon) literaly means “to win, to be victorious” it has nothing to do with “revenge”

Flag Post

The concept of right and wrong are some of the greatest bullshit that humanity has accepted, amongst such greats as trust, compassion and blind belief.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Helltank:

The concept of right and wrong are some of the greatest bullshit that humanity has accepted, amongst such greats as trust, compassion and blind belief.

Please tell me why ya think this.
Would YOU do w/o them?
Would YOU stay in a situation, esp. a very close one (including a subordinate one), if others were of this mindset?

Flag Post

If you treat an individual as he is, he will remain how he is. But if you treat him as if he were what he ought to be and could be, he will become what he ought to be and could be.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

As long as human judgement is flawed, there will be no fair punishment, however, to placate the the axiom, in ye olden days when they flayed a criminal alive in the public square, it’s foolish to think that wasn’t a deterrent for needless crime.

(Unfortunately in human history, being a criminal has more to do with not agreeing with the people in charge than actually doing anything morally or ethically wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Helltank:

Please tell me why ya think this.
Would YOU do w/o them?
Would YOU stay in a situation, esp. a very close one (including a subordinate one), if others were of this mindset?

Yes, yes.
Any more questions?