Synesthesia page 2

33 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

I said “may”. Also, she didn’t even study synesthesia or anything related, so I’m now looking for someone who can properly diagnose it. Until then, my synesthesia is a maybe. Strong maybe, and one that I hope turns out to be yes, but still maybe.

Oh? You seem pretty convinced.

Now, I’m no psychoanalyst, and dislike posters trying to read my mind as much as you do, but there’s a term that does spring to mind for this situation: projection. Or to riff off of dd790, you WANT it to be true so it BECOMES true, but only in a figurative sense. Why would anyone want this? Because it’s a relatively harmless disorder that fascinates other people (like aspergers, but with fewer negative connotations).

I’ve had it since before I even knew what synesthesia was.

doesn’t your life in all seriousness feel absolutely cold

Not really. But I still think that heat vision would be cool and a nice bonus.

I’ve always believed that your doctor should tell you clearly and thoroughly what is the disease/illness/ailment you are suffering from, and if there are any doubts you should look it up on Wikipedia or a trusted medical site. This is so that if you find any anomalies and your doctor fails to spot them, it’s time to bring it to his attention. If he insists he is right and that your observations are wrong, change doctors.

Flag Post

Helltank, are you implying that you’re better equipped to practice medicine than a trained medical professional?

Flag Post

No, I’m implying I’m equally equipped to practice medicine as a person who has never studied medicine in her life.

Flag Post

Hopefully you now understand how this:

Isn’t it pretty dull to have numbers and words as they are. No colors or pictures? Like being trapped in a black-and-white TV show.

Doesn’t actually occur. You’re not trapped, and life is not ‘dull’, simply because you don’t have a sense you cannot really picture having, and cannot picture how it would affect your life.

Originally posted by Helltank:

No, I’m implying I’m equally equipped to practice medicine as a person who has never studied medicine in her life.

If she’s a psychiatrist, she has a graduate degree in medicine. Very sure you can’t actually get one without studying medicine. You are certainly welcome to try without study, but you won’t get very far.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Helltank:

Do you not see the huge, glaring error there.
Sure, if ya want to place a high value on YOUR cognitive skills….fine.
HOWEVER, are ya all that sure that (given the bell-curve factor) ya’re as EQUALLY equipped capable as those ppl (even the very finest) at the extreme end of the curve that represents very high mental ability? There is a difference between being equipped and being capable.
Are YOU the equivalent//EQUAL TO that very last person “at the top” of the group that _has never studied medicine.

Plus, beyond this overt lack of a solid grasp of the capabilities of those ya compare yourself to as shown by how ya define “equal”….ya kinda, sorta put yourself a few steps to the rear by saying: “never studied medicine in her life

Maybe she did it in her DEATH?

Flag Post

She’s a therapist. She did her studies in psychology, not medicine.

I tried to understand karma’s post, but couldn’t. What’s your point, karma?

All I’m saying is that since neither of us studied medicine, we’re of equal ability to judge. She said it herself that she wasn’t qualified to diagnose synesthesia. Neither am I asserting 100% that I have it.

Flag Post

Whereas you did your studies in…oh right, nothing at all. That doesn’t make you equal in knowledge, since your only knowledge is whatever you pull off wikipedia to justify your fantasies. So I’m fairly sure she knows more about medicine than you do, despite having ‘only’ studied psychology. But hey, feel free to ask a real doctor if internet self-diagnosis is reliable.

Flag Post

Why is everybody so interested in this malady all of a sudden?
And why does “synesthesia” always show up in blue letters?

Seriously though everybody on the internet suddenly wants to be afflicted with synesthesia or aspergers, these aren’t fun afflictions.