Fat Acceptance page 3

69 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

But, here’s a thought: fat ppl dating fat ppl.

Here’s another thought—people dating based on personality and charisma related factors. Now, admittedly, this doesn’t go so well in general practice, but the person’s still the same damn person. I met my husband when he was in the military. Now that he’s piled on 50 extra pounds or so, I still see the same guy—he has no more or less sex appeal to me either way.

It would appear there is a rather large pool to dive into.

Pun intended?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Here’s another thought—people dating based on personality and charisma related factors.

Of course, I was being sarcastic to the twerp that said something stoooopid.
Although, one thing would be very likely….much less “judgment”.

Now, admittedly, this doesn’t go so well in general practice,…
Sadly, it doesn’t.
They say love is blind,,,,
but, it does do well at “brail”.
… but the person’s still the same damn person. I met my husband when he was in the military. Now that he’s piled on 50 extra pounds or so, I still see the same guy—he has no more or less sex appeal to me either way.
With the added years SHOULD come the more mature mind and how it begins to acquire the greater understanding that it’s what’s on the inside that really matters.
Is a woman any less if she HAS LESS? A double mastectomy.
Is either of them less if they lose a limb?
Hearing?…vision?…stroke?

Those “wedding” (commitment) vows sure come home to roost when the in health and in sickness goes “south” on someone. THAT is when ya know if they truly love ya. On a lesser degree, the same is pretty much the same for weight-gain issues.

Pun intended?
Nah.
I’m not even sure if there COULD BE one.
My point there was how rampant obesity is in America.

And, THAT is obesity.
There are a lot of levels, still very unhealthy, before reaching obesity.

Our weight problem in America is basically very simple: junk//shit food is more profitable for those “in control” of things. Were it otherwise, we’d be the healthiest mother-fuckers in the world. We are but sheep herded for our wool….and the occasional lamb for the dinner table.

Flag Post

@karmakoolkid, yeah, even if i have anemia and anorexia?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Here’s another thought—people dating based on personality and charisma related factors.

Of course, I was being sarcastic to the twerp that said something stoooopid.
Although, one thing would be very likely….much less “judgment”.

Now, admittedly, this doesn’t go so well in general practice,…
Sadly, it doesn’t.
They say love is blind,,,,
but, it does do well at “brail”.
… but the person’s still the same damn person. I met my husband when he was in the military. Now that he’s piled on 50 extra pounds or so, I still see the same guy—he has no more or less sex appeal to me either way.
With the added years SHOULD come the more mature mind and how it begins to acquire the greater understanding that it’s what’s on the inside that really matters.
Hearing?…vision?…stroke?

Those “wedding” (commitment) vows sure come home to roost when the in health and in sickness goes “south” on someone. THAT is when ya know if they truly love ya. On a lesser degree, the same is pretty much the same for weight-gain issues.

Pun intended?
Nah.
I’m not even sure if there COULD BE one.
My point there was how rampant obesity is in America.

And, THAT is obesity.

Our weight problem in America is basically very simple: junk//shit food is more profitable for those “in control” of things. Were it otherwise, we’d be the healthiest mother-fuckers in the world. We are but sheep herded for our wool….and the occasional lamb for the dinner table.

So this chart tells me I am over weight and to be “healthy” I should not weigh more than 81 kg.
Fuck this chart.
I’ll make my own chart with black jack and hookers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Roki123:

@karmakoolkid, yeah, even if i have anemia and anorexia?

Probably not
However, that form of “skinniness” does have parallels to obesity:

•The South Carolina Department of Mental Health estimates that 8 million Americans (seven million women and one million men) have an eating disorder.
•Eating disorder statistics provided by the National Eating Disorder Association are even higher, and indicate that 10 million American women suffer from eating disorders.
•10-15% of all Americans suffer from some type of serious eating disorder.
61% of American adults are either overweight or obese.
•One out of every five US adults is classified as obese (BMI of 30 or greater).
•An estimated 10-15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males. Many clinicians believe that this figure is underreported because many men are ashamed to admit that they may be suffering from something thought to affect only women. Newsweek magazine reported 40% of 131 Cornell University football players surveyed engaged in eating disordered behaviors (bingeing and purging), with 10% classified as having clinical eating disorders. Many men suffer from bulimia under the guise of “staying in shape” and use compulsive exercise as a form of purging.
•Seventy-seven percent of individuals with eating disorders report that the illness can last anywhere from one to 15 years or even longer in some cases. It is estimated that approximately six percent of serious cases die. For many others, there are long-term, irreversible consequences which can affect one’s physical and emotional health. Up to now, only 50% all people with this devastating disease report being cured.
•One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia.
•Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia.
•1.1% – 4.2% of females suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime.
•As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa.
•Studies indicate that by their first year of college, 4.5 to 18% of women and 0.4% of men have a history of bulimia.

Flag Post

But this isn’t true. I’m less likely to date a fat person for reasons other than physical apperance. Fat = lack of stamina and 95% of the time physical fitness/healthiness. I’m less likely to be attracted to someone who doesn’t have similar ideas of fun, many of mine which involve physical exertion. EG. team sports, cycling, walking, hillclimbing.

Hearing?…vision?…stroke?

No, because these are usually not a direct consequences of somebody’s bad choices. A better example would be smoking, in this case I do think that somebody who develops a disease caused by smoking 2 packs a day is at fault.

Those “wedding” (commitment) vows sure come home to roost when the in health and in sickness goes “south” on someone.

I like how you’re only willing to bring tradition into the equation if it helps your argument. I thought as a liberal you would be against this? However i’ll still address this. Yes if my S.O. was fat I would be a truly committed partner and help them in their time of sickness by making them get off their ass and eat less.

And, THAT is obesity.

I agree with the last paragraph, though it really is only ignorance which causes people to think easy/cheap = unhealthy when it comes to food, my family has been poor my whole life yet i have the a pretty damn good diet.
The link you provided isn’t very useful IMO. BMI is pretty awful, i seem to remember back when i was fat having a lower BMI than my skinny/muscular brother. BF% is where it’s at :P

P.S. sorry if the formatting in this post is awful, this is my first real use of quotes

Flag Post
Originally posted by harvey33:
Originally posted by TheBSG:

I like how one of the only ways to get conservatives to want to help other people be healthier is to tie their bank account to the situation.

“I am making a pledge to only post things that add to a thread.”

Don’t really see this being upheld in either of your posts. This is the exact reason SD is so uninviting, most of the regs just want everything fixed without actually putting any effort into changing it. That and text walls laced with the most unnecessarily complicated words just to show us all just how smart yous are. I don’t mean to sound as if i’m specifically pointing my finger at you BSG, but this is a pretty good example.

I knew someone would say this, honestly I was just joking and consider myself a conservative anyway. Probably could’ve implied that better.

Oh, and he literally said what I was going to say, so it’s not so much me piling on. I actually have nothing more to add to this thread but that.

I’ve held back quite a bit since I made that pledge, and these posts really don’t count, at least for me, as malicious or uninviting. Thanks for keeping me in check, though. ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBSG:

I knew someone would say this, honestly I was just joking and consider myself a conservative anyway. Probably could’ve implied that better.

Oh, and he literally said what I was going to say, so it’s not so much me piling on. I actually have nothing more to add to this thread but that.

I’ve held back quite a bit since I made that pledge, and these posts really don’t count, at least for me, as malicious or uninviting. Thanks for keeping me in check, though. ;)

Heh, it’s fine, sorry for not seeing the joke, im pretty new to forums etc. and a bit out of touch with internet language.

Flag Post

Does that mean I was channelling BSG for a minute there?

Flag Post

Fat acceptance? I don’t think there is such a thing. Even with the fat people we love, we worry about their health. Even when we start putting on pounds ourselves, all it takes is a doctors visit to put a little fear into our habits.

It really is a matter of health, not appearance.

Flag Post
Even with the fat people we love, we worry about their health.

Very true. I miss John Candy.

: (

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

Bursts into tears.

Flag Post

Only his early stuff. Stripes, Canadian Bacon, Planes Trains and Automobiles. His autobio sucked.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

Only his early stuff. Stripes, Canadian Bacon, Planes Trains and Automobiles. His autobio sucked.

Chris Farley too, although, not sure if a thinner man’s heart could have handled that much drugs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aleazor:

Chris Farley too, although, not sure if a thinner man’s heart could have handled that much drugs.

Might as well toss in John Belushi.
The point being: obesity didn’t stop us from being greatly entertained.
I guess we were able to see/get past that.

Flag Post

You forgot Uncle Buck!

Also, Canadian Bacon (if IMDB is to be believed) was his last movie – not exactly part of his “early stuff.”

Flag Post

Good point.

Flag Post

fatties go back to tumblr

Flag Post

And, THAT is obesity.

The funny thing about obesity—it’s really more common than people visualize or think. When they hear the term obesity they tend to think this, when most obesity really starts here. While most of us would quantify the last shot as just kind of frumpy or non-fit, those overweight standards encompass a lot of things. I seem to remember that I was technically categorized as overweight when I was in the military, even though I was a size 6 and in great shape.

Might as well toss in John Belushi.
The point being: obesity didn’t stop us from being greatly entertained.
I guess we were able to see/get past that.

To our credit, we really didn’t harshly judge guys like that on their weight; it was actually part of their comedy personality and appeal. Besides, there’s something to the “big bear” persona—John Goodman had been voted Sexiest Man Alive by some major media.