Knockout Game

40 posts

Flag Post

You guys have probably already heard about this, but it’s a game teenagers play where they basically go out and punch some random person in the face.

What are some things that law enforcement and/or community groups like a neighborhood watch could do to prevent this? Other than just telling people to be more alert.

I’m curious as to what ideas people will think of. Also, sorry in advance if a similar thread has already been made and I just didn’t know about it.

Flag Post

Whatever happened to lighting on fire a bag of dogshit on some one’s porch?
Don’t these kids know they could have a huge hole blown in them?
Or, do they ATTACK only small children and old ppl?

Flag Post

I’ve heard of this, but I didn’t here about the teenagers doing this to random people. From what I’ve heard they just did this in schools and only to other students. Of course that could only be the case in my area.

Flag Post

Like any ‘random’ crime, there’s not much you can do. It’s called ‘Happy Slapping’ where I live, and I thought it pretty much died out a few years ago, possibly because of the number of ‘victims’ who ended up beating the shit out of the people who hit them.

This was my favourite one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ILHJ2AUW0

Flag Post

Knockout game started as a fake “teen fad” created by a news station to create a fake panic to bring in more views.

Now a few losers are copying what they see on TV, reinforcing the artificial panic

discuss how media is to blame for all of society’s ills

also, proof

Flag Post
Originally posted by RollerCROWster:

Knockout game started as a fake “teen fad” created by a news station to create a fake panic to bring in more views.

Now a few losers are copying what they see on TV, reinforcing the artificial panic

discuss how media is to blame for all of society’s ills

also, proof

Media is to blame for all society’s ills. I’m infuriated, but this doesn’t surprise me.

Flag Post

Maybe the operative word isn’t BLAMED on the media.
Perhaps it is a misspelled: Flamed…by the media.

Flag Post

Yeah, curious how the majority of the press claimed that it was a thing among (snip) thug urban youths, and that those same sources tended to be right leaning. But racism is dead in america because you folks elected a black puppet for the rich white hegemony.

Flag Post

Where is JHCO when you need him?
Such a thing actually happened to me once, to teenagers jumped at me, they ended up getting hurt and I took them to their parents.

Flag Post

This wasn’t a thing in my area until I had seen it on the news. Then it blew up. I saw video’s on Facebook, youtube, etc.

The biggest problem was that it went on the news! People continue to talk about it and people continue to learn about it. & considering it’s such a quick and seemingly harmless thing to the people who do it, I don’t think their can be enforcement. I believe it requires people to stop talking about it so nobody new learns about it and it dies off on its own.

Flag Post

Treat it the same way you do any other violent crime. Educate as to what doing this, actually does to the other and to yourself. Provide self-defense classes to at-risk groups where possible, educate as to self-defense laws, and prosecute, prosecute, prosecute, whenever you possibly can.

Eventually all those who wish to partake in such activities, will be guests of the prison system, or suitably warned that this is what awaits them if they assault a random member of the public.

If they still go ahead and assault a random person, they do so with the full knowledge they are committing a crime, and full acceptance of the consequences should a person retaliate in self defense or press charges against them. It ceases being a game at that point, as all parties are aware it is simple assault.

Flag Post

Chop off a finger for the first offence…. after all, it’s seemingly harmless. (But yeah, prosecute and publicise…. ‘Teen gets 3 months hard labour for ’happy slapping’ aka common assault’

Flag Post

I’m fine with that Don. They hit another person without provocation. Bodily assault with intent to harm.

If it helps, they can think of their three months in prison as part of the game. Part of the joke. They hit someone and the system hit them back.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dreadlover1:
I believe it requires people to stop talking about it so nobody new learns about it and it dies off on its own.

Ya mean kinda like what should be done about trolls?
The truth of the matter is that “the media” does wield strong influence on social behavior.
It can do it by making a mountain out of a molehill as in the instance of the OP.

A 1986 movie, Stand By Me, depicted mailbox baseball. Shortly thereafter, a rash of it was happening in my area…both in the cities/town & in the country. I don’t have a clue about the rest of the areas the movie played in, but since “kids will be kids”….I well imagine this “sport” wasn’t limited to the idiots in my local.

To show just how far this shit can go in negativity, one resident in the country was really pissed about having had his mailbox destroyed a couple of times. Upon hearing their mailbox being vandalized again, the father & son (grabbing a .22 rifle) gave pursuit. They caught up to the car & got it stopped. As one of the teens emerged, the son fired a “warning shot” over the teen’s head. PROBLEM: the shot was low…the kid was killed.

I don’t know about the other XXXXXX mediums mentioned in the link, but I feel the movie Stand By Me wouldn’t have “suffered” at all by having left that scene out of it. Yet, untold numbers of ppl wouldn’t have had to suffer replacing their mailbox and the anger of being “violated” by senselessness, random vandalism.

As a kid in very rural south-central Kansas, I’d never heard of mailbox baseball.
I’d heard of outhouse tipping.
I’d heard of cherry bomb/M-80 in a mailbox.
Neither one of those were viewed as “harmless fun”.

I wonder if such penchants for “youthful” destruction happens in other nations?

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Um, you’re aware other nations are filled with members of the same species, with the same psychological wiring in their heads?

Sorry, there isn’t really a non-sarcastic answer for such a mind bogglingly obvious question. I’d say it was rhetorical, but for the way it fit into your context.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Um, you’re aware other nations are filled with members of the same species, with the same psychological wiring in their heads?

Sorry, there isn’t really a non-sarcastic answer for such a mind bogglingly obvious question. I’d say it was rhetorical, but for the way it fit into your context.

Good grief, vika…lighten up. There’s no need for such a snide retort.
And, oddly enough… I’m seen as the acerbic one on SD.
Ya’re turning into Jan. LOL

The question was obviously rhetorical….with a dash of sarcasm tossed in.
It was also offered in the hope it might generate/stimulate some discussions of similar incidents in other nations. I’m well aware of “hooligans” in GB. But, since the OP is about a particular incident…I was wondering just what other forms this mindless violent crap takes in their countries. After all, we may be of the same species and have the same psychological wiring in our heads, but as has been pointed out (even by YOU) in discussions of guns…the CULTURAL applications of behavior in nations other than the U.S. can be quite different.

I hope that doesn’t boggle YOUR mind. ;-)

Originally posted by donseptico:

Chop off a finger for the first offence…. after all, it’s seemingly harmless. (But yeah, prosecute and publicise…. ‘Teen gets 3 months hard labour for ’happy slapping’ aka common assault’

LOL…Don.
But, I can’t help but wonder if ya aren’t somewhat “serious”.
After all, there is a history of cutting off the hand of a thief.
I know find the finger loss method to be a doable thing if absolute proof is found.
This has been my position in the discussions on gun violence. If a gun is used in the commission of a crime, hefty mandatory prison terms for it. Likely terms much stiffer than the crime itself.

This brings up the concept of Federal mandatory sentencing laws for drug offenses. A kid can find himself very deep in legal issues that he didn’t have a clue about until he gets caught w/ an amount of illegal drug in his possession. The war on drugs has a very ugly, powerful, destructive weapon.

“Other examples of draconian mandatory minimums mentioned at the hearing included a 10-year sentence received by an 18-year-old first-time offender caught with less than two ounces of cocaine, a 22-year sentence received by an 24-year-old woman who sold 13.9 grams of crack to a police informant, and a 25-year sentence received by a 46-year-old father of three who sold some of his painkillers to someone he thought was his friend.”

Another view of Federal mandatory minimum sentencing
It is my understanding that such ways to get around the “mandatory” part (pleading guilty) include ratting out other “criminals”….even friends…even friends that wanted no part in just “holding” a stash for a day—he was set up in order to reduce the sentence of his “friend”. This was the essence of a recent movie (Snitch) , which was based on a real-life story.

But, on the flip side…most first-time offenders of other crimes (usually the very young) are let off w/ only probation….no time served. Part of this is due to the simple fact that we just don’t have enough jails to handle the situation. A lot of kids know this and have little problem w/ committing crimes because they know if they ever get caught, there’s little to suffer.

Flag Post
It was also offered in the hope it might generate/stimulate some discussions of similar incidents in other nations. I’m well aware of “hooligans” in GB.

Its really cheesy but this Meme stands true in my case

Hooliganism or mindless violence is very low around these parts.
The incident I posted earlier, you know what happened when I took those teens to their fathers?
They didn’t try to bribe me or asked for forgiveness, they just said
“Thank you for coming to us but if this ever happens again, get them thrown in jail or drown ‘em in a river, we don’t care.”
and before any one asks, the reason I didn’t go to police neither tried to hunt them down or something was simple, there are plenty of people who would do that and destroy those boy’s lives, but few who would put them on a straight path.

Flag Post

Thank you for clarifying. Given that you usually address every topic in an exclusively America-centric way, usually twisting it to harp on about America-centric issues (I’m not judging, I twist issues to my own core areas as much myself, I just try to be aware when I’m doing it and back off), it seemed prudent to point out that humans outside of America are still humans, and still respond to cultural memes in the same way those inside America do.

I honestly couldn’t tell if you were even aware you were doing it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by donseptico:

Chop off a finger for the first offence…. after all, it’s seemingly harmless.

Ah, I hope you don’t believe that I think it’s harmless. I’m saying the one’s who partake seem to believe it’s harmless.

Flag Post

Ah, just realized I’m thinking of a whole ’nother shitty game like this. I realize now what this is. I actually agree with making it assault, and most likely a felony due to the intent to knock them out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dreadlover1:

Ah, I hope you don’t believe that I think it’s harmless. I’m saying the one’s who partake seem to believe it’s harmless.

I don’t think any of us view chopping off a bodypart as an ideal punishment for violence. (Well, not until artificial fingers as powerful and flexible as the originals are on the market. Then, chop, chop away. Part of the monies for each replacement finger will be going to me anyhow… *ahem*)

Rather they have to be aware their actions have consequences. Education is a big part of that, as is ensuring the weaker members of the public can defend themselves against an attack and that everyone is aware of what self defense can and cannot entail.

You don’t even have to lock them up for three months following the first offense. Some slap-happy teen assaults another person and is caught. A night in jail, plus a strongarm interview with the police, putting the fear of God into them figuratively speaking. Short, and sharp punishment, may only end with a caution, but it has done its work. Reminded them that actions have consequences, and if they perform the action again, they had best be prepared for the consequences.

Flag Post

But education draws attention to the game and the crappier kids will want to partake. So where does education and ignorance blend into proper handling of the situation?
If you ignore it, it may die off or it may not. If you educate about it, you run the risk of it growing. Although it may also die off with education too.

Flag Post

Education is always going to superior to ignorance. Those who find it funny to assault others, knowing full well of both the risk of injury to the other and the potential punishment, would be the same subset who are likely to endulge in casual or opportunistic crime anyway, because they lack the empathy to bond with other beings in the first place.

Better to educate and inform, so the more intelligent potential perps realise it’s not worth it, and so the potential victims are armed and informed against it. Those who wish to commit assault anyway, there are prison and rehabilitation programs in place for. Better to weed them out against a backdrop of an informed populace than an ignorant one.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator