Philosophy

20 posts

Flag Post

Hello, Sookies here. I’ve got something that is nagging me and I really want a serious discussion about it.

I have no idea what philosophy is, or what is it “used” or “useful” for.

If it’s about learning how the world came into existence then that is science not philosophy.

If it’s about personal codes and how an individual views the world then that is religion and psychology/sociology.

If I were to go to an academy and study philosophy, what would I learn that isn’t already defined by science/religion/psychology, or is it one of these old fashioned ancient studies that is now sensibly replaced?

I’d love your insight because I want to watch debate and discussion videos on youtube and I have no idea what philosopher’s are talking about or what their viewpoint generally is, and what your own viewpoint of philosophy is.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Firstly of all, let us ask this question, what is philosophy?

Is it a way to understand life or is it way of understanding life?
Can it be a subject or can it be a teaching?
Is it to question or is it to answer?

Philosophy as defined is the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline. It is to understand our surroundings and thoughts.

A classic example is the question on our existence.
Are we real?
If we are real then why are we able to feel, smell, see, taste or hear?
If we are real then how do we know that we are just not a brain in a jar?

However, there is no right answer because this is philosophy.

It is just how you view it and how others view it.
One may see a Voltorb from a shadow while others may see it as a Jigglypuff from above.

So what is philosophy? The answer is its subjective.
There is no answer to your question. It deals with both sides of the blade here, one of religion and science. It pursues questions instead of answers. You must see beyond what is taught to you that limit your questioning. Plus, philosophy is ever-changing. By encompassing the wide range of subjects, it is difficult not to find that it has changed ever since the beginning of man’s independent thought.

I leave it here with a question. Am I right or am I wrong?

Flag Post

Thanks. So debating philosophy with an atheist would be very embarrassing for the philosopher.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AEBEATIAxSOOKIES:

Thanks. So debating philosophy with an atheist would be very embarrassing for the philosopher.

wtf? where are you getting this?

Flag Post

Philosophy primarily deals with epistemology, ethics, logic, metaphysics – all this stuff branches off to philosophy of science, political philosophy, philosophy of physics, philosophy of language, and so on.

A big chunk of the prominent philosophers are atheists and naturalists, so there’s that.

Flag Post

A big chunk of the prominent philosophers are atheists and naturalists, so there’s that.

Although a Straussian might argue that it would be embarassing for a philosopher to argue with an atheist because the atheist is foolish enough to declare his lack of belief whereas the philosopher hides his under a veneer of conformity.

And that’s not even getting into how a Hobbesian or Lockean would view self-admitted atheists.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RollerCROWster:

I philosophize that this thread will eventually become a flamewar about a completely unrelated subject

You would probably be right.

I like ravens more than crows, Crows are ugly

No they’re not. Crows are cool. Especially in my area. They look like small black chickens. I bet they would even best my cat.

Flag Post

Simply asking what philosophy is, is philosophy in and of itself.
Philosophy is not a matter of information, but the personal, and universal meaning of things.

Flag Post

Philosophy is a profession that you do not choose, but are chosen for.
That is if you are too lazy or retarded to get a real job you start calling yourself a philosopher start talking out of your ass.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:

That is if you are too lazy or retarded to get a real job you start calling yourself a philosopher start talking out of your ass.

Pretty much this, unless it’s Natural Philosophy. Anyone who’s questioned the way things work can be considered a philosopher, so being a philosopher and a cup of coffee will impress people for your coffee acquiring skills.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:
Anyone who’s questioned the way things work can be considered a philosopher, so being a philosopher and a cup of coffee will impress people for your coffee acquiring skills.

A philosophising cup of coffee will amaze and astound everyone, as we’ll be trying to work out how in all the holy hells, a cup of coffee can be sentient in the first place.

Flag Post

The application of philosophy is required to form this opinion. All social commentary is an expression of philosophy. The very idea that philosophy is a sham, is a philosophy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aleazor:

The application of philosophy is required to form this opinion. All social commentary is an expression of philosophy. The very idea that philosophy is a sham, is a philosophy.

Opinions =/= philosophy. You’re over-generalizing the word to mean anything, to such an extent that it would be meaningless.

Flag Post

For the majority of people, philosophy is a past time for those that have the free time.

Flag Post

According to Wikipedia, philosophy is "study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.12 Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.3 In more casual speech, by extension, “philosophy” can refer to “the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group”.4"

And that seems good enough for me.

As for my own philosophical views… I have many. Specify?

Flag Post

Helltank, I’m so very happy that ya asked?
HOW did you arrive at the opinion of women you expressed on the “marriage” thread?
You do understand that it is far from the “norm”?
As a “bell-curver”, I’m always interested in the more extreme POV’s.

I gave ya some rather potent shit over it.
But, since ya’re not in jail or are regularly beaten because of it, then I consider it a “valid” POV.
This is not to say I don’t think (< opinion) ya merit some shit from me….other ppl have to have their own reasons.
My reason is that—and here is the where/why for much/most of my (somewhat?) vehement passion whch I express on this forum—your “attitude” about women does, in so many ways, result in actual negativity that does indeed impact our social makeup.