Is God really real? page 2

1460 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by tman12:

god is ssssssooooo real, how do u think the universe was made?!?!?!

In that case who created God?

Flag Post

I’m no expert on the subject, so feel free to correct me, but isn’t God supposed to be eternal, always having existed?

Flag Post
Originally posted by tman12:

god is ssssssooooo real, how do u think the universe was made?!?!?!

Big Bang. What created that though…

It’s pretty much in the same situation as God. An effect without a cause.

Originally posted by woodythedon:

I’m no expert on the subject, so feel free to correct me, but isn’t God supposed to be eternal, always having existed?

Yes it is. Which obviously then would raise the question of if God can just exist, then why can’t the big bang just happen? It’s never been a very good argument.

Flag Post

Ok, then if big bang made the universe, where did the big ball of energy came from?

and if you ask a question who god is, you better answer yourself “who am i?” first. if you know who you are, then ask yourself “who made me?”, and if you know who made you then ask yourself “who made them?”, then it goes on and on, you cannot just answer “their parents made them, and my parents made me” that’s answering in general, if you want to answer literally, then you can start by making the list of all your ancestors, you can start from the first person you know. and if you want some easier one, just give me the first person in the list, and where he came from. XD. and since there’s no “First person” in the list, how can you make a list?

Flag Post
Originally posted by asam3:

Ok, then if big bang made the universe, where did the big ball of energy game from?

No one knows. Where did God come from?

Flag Post

Slowly but surely, this argument is reaching its end; a stalemate.

I’ve got a good question… well, good in my mind.

Why would God send his Son to die for us? I was always told that it was so he could open the Gates of Heaven for us. Why were they ever closed?

Flag Post

God might be eternal, he might just as well be a lifeform with extreme powers. We honestly don’t know. He is far beyond our grasp. That is why we believe, and should not research (no point yet).

Flag Post

So all Christians are doomed to blind faith with no hope of ever learning more about a god than what they read in a 2,000 year old book? I pity them.

Flag Post

edited my post, you can start answering my question now

Flag Post

So all Christians are doomed to blind faith with no hope of ever learning more about a god than what they read in a 2,000 year old book? I pity them.

Are you just being an ignorant fool or trying to whack out your frustration? I have no respect for this sentence or you in either case.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

God might be eternal, he might just as well be a lifeform with extreme powers. We honestly don’t know. He is far beyond our grasp. That is why we believe, and should not research (no point yet).

And the Big Bang could have just happened (I know you said ‘might’, this is just a general counter-argument). After all, do we know that the laws of cause and effect existed before the Universe?

Why can’t we search? Even if for religion it is a bad thing, then surely it would be important for science to know that all their theories are wrong? After all, they are the theories that we base pretty much everything on.

Flag Post

@ ion14:

Atheism also requires faith.

EDIT: At the time of writing, Sith and Darkruler hadn’t posted yet, so my post kind of seems unnescessary. Apologies.

Flag Post

Ok, then if big bang made the universe, where did the big ball of energy came from?

and if you ask a question who god is, you better answer yourself “who am i?” first. if you know who you are, then ask yourself “who made me?”, and if you know who made you then ask yourself “who made them?”, then it goes on and on, you cannot just answer “their parents made them, and my parents made me” that’s answering in general, if you want to answer literally, then you can start by making the list of all your ancestors, you can start from the first person you know. and if you want some easier one, just give me the first person in the list, and where he came from. XD. and since there’s no “First person” in the list, how can you make a list?

If you take it back far enough, our most distant ancestor is the first cell or living tissue of some kind. That is where you start the list.

Why does the first cause have to be God? It could be a million other things, so why is God the best choice?

EDIT:

Or lack of.

Flag Post

So if God appears infront of you, that’s the only time you’ll believe in him? then why do you believe that the world is going to end, have you seen it yet? Why do you believe that plants reproduce in different ways? Have you seen it?

i think you’ll say science proves it and it is written, but have you seen it? i think not.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SithDoughnut:

If you take it back far enough, our most distant ancestor is the first cell or living tissue of some kind. That is where you start the list.

Why does the first cause have to be God? It could be a million other things, so why is God the best choice?

Your choice, a person or a germ

Flag Post

And the Big Bang could have just happened (I know you said ‘might’, this is just a general counter-argument). After all, do we know that the laws of cause and effect existed before the Universe?

That’s belief for you, I don’t expect you or anyone else to understand. I cannot answer your questions, so apparently, you should now pity me according to Ion.

Why can’t we search? Even if for religion it is a bad thing, then surely it would be important for science to know that all their theories are wrong? After all, they are the theories that we base pretty much everything on.

Go tell that to the scientists. I have no interest in researching it. God is beyond our grasp.

Flag Post
Originally posted by woodythedon:

@ ion14:

Faith in the lack of anything to have faith in… I don’t understand. Unless I am reading it the wrong way:(

Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Are you just being an ignorant fool or trying to whack out your frustration? I have no respect for this sentence or you in either case.

How am I being an ignorant fool? I have no frustration to whack out, and whether or not you have respect for me, people will STILL try to research. Whether it be scientists or religious fanatics. The sentence was supposed to show the desperation many people have with listening to the same line over and over again in a Christian mass. I was born and raised a Christian. After my mother passed away, I listened to these Readings with a renewed vigor. But all I heard was, “Be nice until you die. Then you win.”
Please explain to me how anyone can be totally satisfied.
Tell that to the 1st and 2nd Century Europeans that beat that into their enemies with swords and chains.
Tell it to the priests and Christians in the ’60’s and ’70’s that swore up and down a wall that homosexual men and women were doomed to an eternity to hell.
Tell that to the priests that have little Timmy the altar boy giving them a happy ending under the desk.

I don’t beat down anything until I know exactly what it is I’m beating down. I’ve done my homework.

God isn’t a person, though. It’s accepted that HE or SHE is a loving, caring, all powerful being. Coincidentally, exactly what most people want in a ruler.

Flag Post

So if God appears infront of you, that’s the only time you’ll believe in him?

No, because then belief would be pointless. I would simply know that he exists.

then why do you believe that the world is going to end, have you seen it yet?

I don’t know if the world will end, but I can predict that the expansion of a sun into a red giant with certainly not be a good thing.

Why do you believe that plants reproduce in different ways? Have you seen it?

Yes I have. I look at my garden and I see it, I’ve also seen many examples through my experiences in biology classes.

i think you’ll say science proves it and it is written, but have you seen it? i think not.

Two reasons why this whole post was nonsense:

1) You evidently don’t understand how evidence works. If you can see the effects of something, you can deduce that it is very likely to exist. You can never be 100% sure, but you can be damn close.

2) Have you seen air? No, you can’t. So how do you know that you are actually breathing?

3) More importantly, have you seen Jesus? Have you seen God? Did you see the creation of the world? Unless you did, then your argument is pointless.

This post shows that you evidently have no idea what you are talking about. God is not a person, and a single celled organism is not a germ. And I believe I said a million other things, not two.

Anyways, why is a person the better option?

Flag Post

That’s belief for you, I don’t expect you or anyone else to understand. I cannot answer your questions, so apparently, you should now pity me according to Ion.

I know what you are saying, I spent a lot of time with almost exactly the same beliefs as you. It was just a general counter-argument before asam decided to attempt to use it as proof.

Don’t forget, my suggestion is little more than a belief as well. (Unless it does have evidence that I don’t know of).

Flag Post

How am I being an ignorant fool? I have no frustration to whack out, and whether or not you have respect for me, people will STILL try to research.

Research a bit more or tone down what you said. “Doomed”, “blind faith”, “no hope”, “pity” are all very extreme. Any justification between those words? You have no idea about me or 99% of the rest of the Christians.

The sentence was supposed to show the desperation many people have with listening to the same line over and over again in a Christian mass. I was born and raised a Christian. After my mother passed away, I listened to these Reading with a renewed vigor. But all I heard was, “Be nice until you die. Then you win.”

Personal experience does not explain global experience. You do not know what we hear in our church, the church next door, the church on the other side of the world. All you know is what you heard in your church and what you made of it. Perhaps you weren’t interested, perhaps you weren’t listening, you don’t want to be a Christian and therefore you do not like what they said. Simple.

Please explain to me how anyone can be totally satisfied.

As a Christian? As an atheist? Do what you like and skip what you don’t. I like being a Christian. You don’t. Solved?

Tell that to the 1st and 2nd Century Europeans that beat that into their enemies with swords and chains.

Sure, shove it towards religion and let’s not forget to completely remove all traces of every single other war that has been fought over the ages. CHRISTIANITY DID IT! BURN THEM!

Tell it to the priests and Christians in the ’60’s and ’70’s that swore up and down a wall that homosexual men and women were doomed to an eternity to hell.

Well, screw them. Not everyone is like them. If their personality makes them do bad things, they are to blame.

Tell that to the priests that have little Timmy the altar boy giving them a happy ending under the desk.

“Tell that to the scientists who have been developing nukes and allowing millions of people to be slaughtered.” Emotional effort doesn’t work here, sorry. Such stuff happens daily. You blame the priests, but once again “forget” about the rest of the world.

I don’t beat down anything until I know exactly what it is I’m beating down. I’ve done my homework.

Pretty one-sided homework you have there. What about non-theists?

Flag Post

Out of curiosity why has the Bible never been updated? I thought it would have made sense to modernise it with perhaps an appendix or something to explain or recount Christian matters in the past 2000 years.

Flag Post

Out of curiosity why has the Bible never been updated? I thought it would have made sense to modernise it with perhaps an appendix or something to explain or recount Christian matters in the past 2000 years.

They are the words of a few believers in the past. Their beliefs will not update any more. I see them as a base, those beliefs were held in their time. We “update” our beliefs throughout time, but not in the Bible.

Flag Post

who rules the government, a person right? why vote for a person if a germ is better?

and anyway, i believe in air, cause i feel it. why do you believe in science?

Flag Post

why do you believe in science?

Science is but a description. There’s much more “beneath” it.

Flag Post

and God is an icon, and, as everyone says, everything is an iceberg, not just science and got, you only see the surface, bu do you see what’s underneath?