Is God really real? page 49

1460 posts

Flag Post

When something is not proven, it is more likely it is not real than it being real. In essence, you are right we “can’t” say he is not real, but we can’t say anything isn’t real, because we’ll never 100% be sure something isn’t real. A “stand still” sounds like you’re right in the middle, but that’s not how it works.

Flag Post
but atheist theories range from sounding exactly like god to being rediculous(abiogenesis is both)

And you think that talking snakes and women being born from ribs is not ridiculous?
Abigenesis doesn’t sound “exactly like god”…that is only your interpretation. For me abiogenesis is the best current working model that can explain the beginings of life on this planet.

Flag Post

God is an man who did something grand and people started talking about it and words were changed and then a gullible writer decided im gonna make a religion to overthrow the king and all those who are powerful and that is how all religions were made except Buddah. Buddah was made from old sayings that told you how to act in the real world and Buddah herself was a goddess for a reason because she can give birth and was the most gentlest and beautiful thing that ever was. But it is how man acts towards each other to see what their religion really is.
NO OFFENSE MENT ONLY OPINION BASED ON BEHAVIORAL ACTS

Flag Post

You move onto the nature of this force. As evidence I have pointed out that Moses wrote down a very long time ago the name “I AM WHO AM”, which seems to be sufficient evidence that God is self revealing and personal. The contrary could be that Moses had a privileged royal education and was a philosophical master himself, which is almost certainly true, but would not likely convince people that the name “I AM WHO AM” was something other than God revealing his nature long before the state of philosophy could have reached such a conclusion… as Aristotle did much later.

It was a brilliant move, certainly. So abstract, so absolutist, a manifestation of identity and existence. It’s a moving thought. One, even as you suggest, recurrent with later thinkers contemplating the topic. I for one don’t find a secular conclusion balking, I see no reason to undercut ancient philosophy from such conclusions. Really, it is only a small step from the brief, mostly monotheistic, rather abstract, Atenism of Egypt. Taoism reached a very similar conclusion. Zoroastrianism had it’s principle ‘uncreated God’. Or perhaps the greatest parallel in the Hindu Brahman.

It’s an idea with a history, many people, many places, many times.

Revelations seems like a really bad mushroom trip.

Revelations makes a bit more sense if you think of it as a Resistance Rhetoric. It is about the overthrow of corrupt, earthly governments (Rome) right under the nose of well… Rome. The bombast, and metaphor serves to obscure the actual message as it is one that would cause trouble if discovered.

Flag Post

no.

Flag Post

Nobody knows if God is real or not… I’m not sure what to believe myself.

Flag Post

Can’t say no. You don’t have proof. Can’t say yes. You don’t have proof, but what made us on this planet supplied with natural foods and water? Something did. I’m not saying it was god. Might be. Who knows?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MidnightWerewolf:

Can’t say no. You don’t have proof. Can’t say yes. You don’t have proof, but what made us on this planet supplied with natural foods and water?

Science did.

Sort of.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MidnightWerewolf:

Can’t say no. You don’t have proof. Can’t say yes. You don’t have proof, but what made us on this planet supplied with natural foods and water? Something did. I’m not saying it was god. Might be. Who knows?

Physics started it, chemistry set the table then biology lined the plates.

Our planet didn’t form to suit our existence, we formed to suit the existing planet. Sure it is a coincidence so many factors were right to lead to the development and supporting of life, but when you look at the number of planets it was statistically likely to happen sooner or later

Flag Post
Our planet didn’t form to suit our existence, we formed to suit the existing planet.

This right here. I like it. I shall steal it too!

Flag Post
Originally posted by mariosuperlative:

I’m not saying Christians shouldn’t be Christians, just saying there’s no proof. That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be faith, however.

that means that they shouldnt be christians.

have knowledge and then theorise and apply your knowledge to theories and grow. since their is no proof of a god, then christians shouldnt BE christians.

Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

god is ssssssooooo real, how do u think the universe was made?!?!?!

We don’t know. That’s why we believe in God. Others don’t. I don’t like it when other believers make it seem like there’s no other way than God, since obviously there are many more beliefs, and many more people without beliefs.

thats why religion exists. its how the ancient people explained things they couldnt understand. we have come a long way, wish people would just ditch this religious stuff. its usely only the bottom of the intellect ladder that are into religious nonsense. and also the mentally damaged.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:
Originally posted by mariosuperlative:

I’m not saying Christians shouldn’t be Christians, just saying there’s no proof. That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be faith, however.

that means that they shouldnt be christians.

have knowledge and then theorise and apply your knowledge to theories and grow. since their is no proof of a god, then christians shouldnt BE christians.

Religion doesn’t work on evidence. It works on faith.
Different concepts.

It only gets problematic when religious people attempt to argue that their religion is in fact based on objective evidence.

Flag Post

no god or he would probably message some scientist the cure of some cancers, and yes our planet just happened to have right conditions for life to start and am sure some where out their there are more.

also when regions 1st started people would believe any thing and con men made big bucks from it more then than they do know as people now know more about things. here’s a few examples

then, some1 sale a cure for spots would simply make a cream from butter and had some random things to give it a diffident color and smell.

now people know what things really work and these cons are harder to pull off.

another thing is back then they believed that some stupid things cleaned hair like our own body waste.

know its 2012 these believes are stil on going as parent bring their kids up with it then they do same with thier ect like we still do with local stories and legends.

Flag Post

God is real, but the theory is illogical. See, some people believe in God, other’s don’t. One of them is doing something wrong, if there was or wasn’t. Anyway, we don’t know the truth. Beliefs of gods are respectful, but you might just be praying to a block of air.

Flag Post
Originally posted by StinkyCheeseLady:

Post your ideas and thoughts, your knowledge and the truth about God here. Yes, you may be wondering, why is the amazingly famous atheist creating a thread about is God alive or not, because she thinks she knows that he doesn’t? Well, the answer to that is I wanna know your opinions.

Yeah he exists.

Flag Post

A minor contribution to spur the movement

also, please attend to ignoring the minutiae of the accursed swearing, of which, although all are accustomed with, not all are comfortable reading

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Christ is real. There’s proof!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kwadwo195:

Except that Christ is not God.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kwadwo195:

Where?

Flag Post

I hope someone tell him to go to the doctor and ask him if hes not out of his mind cause I think he does exist.

Flag Post

There isn’t any proof.
Religion = Opinions
Religion does not consist of any facts whatsoever, it’s all based upon your beliefs.

Flag Post

Dear Atheist

Let us speak logically, statiscally and intelligently for just a moment, for here are the undeniable facts, statistical truths that either is an Intelligent Designer or there is not. The chances are 50-50.
The best idea the scientific world could come up with to combat the understanding of an Intelligent Designer (or God), is Evolution.
Evolution states that everything that is, used to be everything that is not, except for a dot at the beginning of the time. The dot exploded, and everything that is, was. Well, of course it took billions of years to become what it is today.
Even though the unfadable intricacies of our world seem to be reasonable and logical to screen design from DNA to Quantum Physics to Molecular Biology, let’s for a moment believe that there is not an Intelligence behind all that is. Let’s believe that the 2 billion forms of life on only one planet in the entire unknown Universe happened by blind chance. Poof, here we are. So the chances would be 50-50.
The Bible is either the Word of the Creator God or it is not, It claims that it is. So the chance is 50-50. Of course the Bible is backed up pretty substantially by scores and scores of indisputable prophecies about nations, kindgoms, people, events and the coming Messiah, most of which were undeniable written hundreds of years before they happened and some over a thousand years before they happened. Nevermind that they have happened in exact detail and that the Bible is the only such literary work in all the world to make the claim of absolute divinity and to back up the claim with revealed prophecies.
But let’s believe that It is not the Word of God, since It claims to be, the chances are 50-50.
Jesus is either the only way of salvation and true fellowship with God, or it is not. He claimed that He was, exclusively. So that chance is also, 50-50.
Nevermind that out of the billions of people who are alive and who have ever lived, that docens of prophecies written many hundreds of years before His life indisputably point in exacting detail to the events of His birth, life, ministry, death and resurrection.
Out of the billions of people, only one single solitary life in all of humanity and all of history displace them all. The life of Jesus of Nazareth revealed in the Bible hundreds of years before His earthly existence. He either is the Messiah He claimed to be, or He is not. the chances are 50-50.
Now here’s a question: Would you play Roussian Roulette with a loaded .357 Magnum? The chances of the hammer falling on the chamber with the bullet are only sixteen porcent, that is 1 in 6. You wouldn’t play Roussian Roulette with your life and a loaded pistol, but you would ignore the scientific truth, the evidence, the Word of God and thousands of years of revealed prophecies so that you could live your life deying the existence of the Intelligent Designer of your life and then spend much of your life desperately trying to prove that there is no God and whom you don’t believe in anyway?
That doesn’t seem like a very reasonable way to live.

What are the chances of you dying today? 50-50. Either you will or you will not die today.

What are the chances that you will die sometime in the relatively near future? 100%.
Death is complete in every generation.

What are the chances you will then discover the absoulte truth about creation, God and Jesus? The chances are 100%.

What are the chances that we will both know the truth very, very soon? 100%

Given these facts and these chances, I’ll take my chances with the Bible and with Jesus. I pray that perhaps, you will too.

Flag Post

No sir. Care to make a 50/50 argument for a Moral God? One that doesn’t revolve his being smarter (omniscient) as a justifying principle for his cruel and ultimately purposefully, explicitly cruel behavior?

If I walk through the pearly gates anytime soon, the only thing I’d want to hear is “I’m sorry.” Jesus came to forgive our sins? I feel the burden is so very much the other way around.

I’m also curious as to what prophecies these are that you’re citing. They do have that awful tendency to come true, but that is a consequence of most prophecies great and small. How do you determine when prophecies are a fulfillment of grand design as opposed to the inevitability of telling enough people something is going to happen, and then they go and do it? ( Looking at you, formation of Israel. )

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ctertle:

Oh boy, another religious try-hard who completely misunderstands science and probability, and refers to some ambiguous events that are apparently proven in the Bible (bonus points for trying to confuse people). Anyone else want to try picking apart his points, or are you like me and gave up when the same shit kept happening over and over?

What are the chances you will then discover the absoulte truth about creation, God and Jesus? The chances are 100%.

No it isn’t, when we die we could just die and be unable to realize what, if anything, happens after or just before death.

Given these facts and these chances, I’ll take my chances with the Bible and with Jesus. I pray that perhaps, you will too.

What about all of the other religions out there?