Did Jesus fake his own death? page 6

214 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by hattrickhero777:

Well the universe is so complex that it would have to be created by a Being higher then human intelligence. Half of what science is, is theories. Theories don’t prove anything. Do you have proof of the big bang theory? No thats why it’s a theory. Do you have proof of the theory of evolution?

The universe just makes the exsistence of God more obvious. It had to be created by someone other than gases combining.

Please tell me either A) you’re a troll or B) you’re not allowed to vote. Either one would make me much happier than I am right now.

Flag Post

No, people like this still exist. And the phrase ‘Hattrickhero’ would suggest he plays soccer, which is hardly a sport taken up a lot in the deep south. Is it possible that he’s from Northern USA/ UK? :O

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lrdwhyt:

I reckon it’s pretty hard to fake being crucified, if he claims to have been crucified…

He has a point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Smackaine:

No, people like this still exist. And the phrase ‘Hattrickhero’ would suggest he plays soccer, which is hardly a sport taken up a lot in the deep south. Is it possible that he’s from Northern USA/ UK? :O

Hat Tricks are also prominent in hockey, btw.

He has a point.

I’m of the opinion that he was crucified, but the argument could be made that he had a double. Or something.

Flag Post

I am sick and fucking tired of this.

Dude, chill man. You had always been cool….. Yeah I know, hard to hold it when dealing with assumedly hardcore idiots. Just cool it my friend. Not worth risking a burst vessel…

So many eloquent gentlemen getting pissed off at SD…. I miss mask.

Flag Post

Who might this mask be? This mask?

Flag Post

Eeeee. No that one. Its him that I missed. Wish he could somehow return and show his presence a bit in the forums.

Flag Post

Well aneslayer the mask is a Guy Fawkes mask which is supposed to represent anarchy….

Flag Post

Both are still scary. Thanks for enlightening me. Oh remembered the clip I saw somewhere in OT…. there’s a scene where all the audience worn it. Hmmmmmm… Anarchy is for the angry. It’ll burn itself up.

Flag Post

Don’t be discouraged by the length of this reply, if you care to find an answer, then read this.
Light, stars, and basic mathematics seem to disprove the Bible.
A light year is not a time, but rather a distance. It is representative of how long light travels in a year. One light-year therefore equals about 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers). This means that if a new star was created 11.76 trillion miles away from Earth, over the course of a year, the light will only have traveled 1/2 the distance to Earth. Using this fixed time of travel that light follows, astronomers have calculated that the Earth is no less than hundreds of millions of years old, which is contrary to the 6,000 year idea presented by the Bible and Jesus’ lineage.
It stands to reason that the Creator of the Universe may have, whilst unravelling the universe, unravelled light in such a distance that it would seem the light took millions of billions of years to reach us, but I am starting to doubt Christianity, even though I am Christian.
If you care to further your knowledge on the topic of light-year time calculation, just search something along the lines of “light year stars disprove bible”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Yuipon:

Don’t be discouraged by the length of this reply, if you care to find an answer, then read this.
A light year is not a time, but rather a distance. It is representative of how long light travels in a year. One light-year therefore equals about 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers). This means that if a new star was created 11.76 trillion miles away from Earth, over the course of a year, the light will only have traveled 1/2 the distance to Earth. Using this fixed time of travel that light follows, astronomers have calculated that the Earth is no less than hundreds of millions of years old, which is contrary to the 6,000 year idea presented by the Bible and Jesus’ lineage.
It stands to reason that the Creator of the Universe may have, whilst unravelling the universe, unravelled light in such a distance that it would seem the light took millions of billions of years to reach us, but I am starting to doubt Christianity, even though I am Christian.
If you care to further your knowledge on the topic of light-year time calculation, just search something along the lines of “light year stars disprove bible”.

God made the universe to look older than it is, but didn’t do this to deceive us

Makes no sense, I know, but that is the Bible answer to your post.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

God made the universe to look older than it is, but didn’t do this to deceive us

Makes no sense, I know, but that is the Bible answer to your post.

I don’t understand how that is “the Bible answer.” Where in the Bible does it say “God made the universe look older than it is?” Of course, I’m a Christian, but I’m having my doubts. I’m desperately clinging to anything that I can to hold on to this faith, because I like some of its ideas. And here is where I stand with this whole thing; I will hear you or anyone else out on almost everything, but I don’t want bullshit (not to say your reply to me was bullshit, just lacking support). I want stuff backed by logic or reason. Wether that logic is based on the assumption that the Bible is fact, or wether it was based on the assumption the Bible is all lies, I don’t care.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ktrout42:

Did Jesus fake his own death only to “reappear” several years later and gain notoriety and fame? Was he a street magician, much like David Blaine? Or did he really turn wine into water and come back from the dead? Please discuss, I’m interested in what you all think.

Christian religion per se ain’t a bad thing, it predicates love,compassion,peace.. the fanatics like you are the problem.

Flag Post

I don’t understand how that is “the Bible answer.”Where in the Bible does it say “God made the universe look older than it is?”

Because it… Isn’t.

It’s really just head-in-the-ground fanatics trying to justify all the evidence that the universe is billions of years old doesn’t actually contradict the Bible. In doing so, though, they make God into a decieving douche-nugget.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

I don’t understand how that is “the Bible answer.”Where in the Bible does it say “God made the universe look older than it is?”

Because it… Isn’t.

It’s really just head-in-the-ground fanatics trying to justify all the evidence that the universe is billions of years old doesn’t actually contradict the Bible. In doing so, though, they make God into a decieving douche-nugget.

I didn’t think it said anything about that in the Bible. I was looking for a more grounded response to the light-year idea. That being said, you don’t need to trash-talk the head figure of a major religion. I think if atheists and Christians could quit calling each other unintellectual narrow-minded assholes, we could get farther in this discussion. For a topic that started off with some good ideas, it quickly evolved into name calling and finger pointing, and that is just sad.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheKnifeGrinder:
Originally posted by ktrout42:

Did Jesus fake his own death only to “reappear” several years later and gain notoriety and fame? Was he a street magician, much like David Blaine? Or did he really turn wine into water and come back from the dead? Please discuss, I’m interested in what you all think.

Christian religion per se ain’t a bad thing, it predicates love,compassion,peace.. the fanatics like you are the problem.

Just wondering, how was the author of the post a fanatic? I don’t know if he commented, but as for the question, it seemed pretty unbiased.

Flag Post

I didn’t think it said anything about that in the Bible. I was looking for a more grounded response to the light-year idea.

Well I can’t really think of a more grounded way to put it, becuase a light-year is a measure of distance, and there are several ways of figuring out the correct distance of stars, all of which say that stars are pretty far apart.

That being said, you don’t need to trash-talk the head figure of a major religion.

I don’t really think I could say that was trash-talk, since it wasn’t what God was, just what the Christians said to justify the age difference makes him out to be deceptive, which is a douche-nuggety (center) quality.

For a topic that started off with some good ideas, it quickly evolved into name calling and finger pointing, and that is just sad.

Welcome to SD, you must be new here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Welcome to SD, you must be new here.

I didn’t know SD existed until like 3 hours ago.

Flag Post

Where in the Bible does it say “God made the universe look older than it is?”

It doesn’t directly, but the implication is undeniably there.

The Bible tells us that the earth, the universe and mankind were all created, as near as dammit, simultaneously. There is a mountain of scientific observational evidence which demonstrates quite clearly that this assertion is completely untrue. Now either the Bible is lying outright, or it is telling the truth. If it is lying to us, then it is the work of a charlatan and can be discarded as unfit for human consumption. If it is telling the truth, then God, who as we know works in mysterious ways, is playing silly buggers with us, for reasons known only to Himself.

The age of the earth, using the lines of descent claimed by the Bible, has been determined by theological scholars with far more patience than me as being around 6,000 years. Bearing in mind that there is plentiful scientific evidence showing it to be far older than that, either the Bible is lying or God is trying to deceive us for His own mysterious reasons.

Of course, I’m a Christian, but I’m having my doubts. I’m desperately clinging to anything that I can to hold on to this faith, because I like some of its ideas.

You sound a lot like me forty years ago. Liking some of Christianity’s ideas, and some of them are, to be fair, pretty cool, does not mean that you have to embrace the whole religion, nor does it mean that you have to believe in God at all. Perhaps it’s time to let go and move on, as I did.

Flag Post
Originally posted by beauval:

Of course, I’m a Christian, but I’m having my doubts. I’m desperately clinging to anything that I can to hold on to this faith, because I like some of its ideas.

You sound a lot like me forty years ago. Liking some of Christianity’s ideas, and some of them are, to be fair, pretty cool, does not mean that you have to embrace the whole religion, nor does it mean that you have to believe in God at all. Perhaps it’s time to let go and move on, as I did.

Unfortunately, the idea I find most appealing is the “afterlife” one, which of course is not easy to embrace if I don’t believe in it. I can’t think of better way of saying this… let me see. So, I like many of the ideas that Christianity provides us with, but amongst those is Heaven, and afterlife. If my favorite concept that Christianity had to offer was “do unto others as you would have them do to you,” then I would have no problem removing Christianity from my life. I could continue to live out that idea, regardless of wether or not it was associated with Christianity. What I’m saying is that you can be kind with out having to be part of a religion. But thats not the only idea I like. I like the idea of Heaven. And as fate would have it, I can’t go to Heaven unless A) Christianity is more fact than faith and B) I believe in this faith. I still don’t know if you followed, but thats as well put as I can manage.

Flag Post

So we’re really back to Pascal’s wager.

His wager was simply that it is safer to to live as if God exists. But Jesus makes it clear that doing that alone is not good enough. I’m sure you’re aware of that. So unless you are a full blooded born again Christian, taking Jesus into your heart and following him resolutely, it’s all a bit of a waste of time. Self-delusion and duplicity will be found out and mentioned on Judgement Day (should that day ever come).

You can’t choose to believe; you either do or you don’t. Your chosen religion is supposed to bring you joy on earth. If it doesn’t, then perhaps it’s time to have a good long think about it. You have to decide whether this is for you (not just your favourite bits but all of it) or whether you are just kidding yourself. Sorry to be the bearer of sad and gloomy tidings, but I’ve been there, seen it, done that, and I really do understand your situation.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Ok, here is a page google directed me to by searching your recommended phrase, the second one down at that.
This is the basic conclusion reached in this page:
“In short, our limited understanding of space, time, and light do not allow us to know with certainty how distant starlight can reach the earth in a relatively short period of time. Several possible ideas have been proposed which may ultimately prove to be accurate. Unfortunately, we cannot be 100% certain yet. However, we can know with certainty that the so-called distant starlight problem does not disprove the Bible for the following reasons:
1. The distant starlight problem is based on the assumption that the speed of light is a constant. New operational science experiments have shown this assumption to be invalid.
2. Man does not know enough about light, space, time, nor the geometry of the universe to draw any empirical conclusions.
3. The alternative model to Biblical Creation suffers from a worse case of the distant starlight problem and can therefore not be considered a viable alternative on the basis of the starlight problem alone.
4. History has shown time after time that claims made in the Bible that are challenged by opposing views in science have always shown the Bible to be true in the end. This typically happens once enough data has been collected and once technology has advanced to the place to allow us to make better observations.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

Oh look, another “Christianity is wrong because” thread.

Except it isn’t, like, at all.

There are obviously going to be posts and sub-topics about how unrealistic some things in the Bible are, but the original topic and most posts in this thread are not like that.

Originally posted by WiiHugger:
4. History has shown time after time that claims made in the Bible that are challenged by opposing views in science have always shown the Bible to be true in the end.

Nope. Since if you look at the constantly brought up point about Noah’s Arc, the Bible either is not wholely factual, or made a fictional storie in at least one case.

Also, just because of what the site is, I’m really leery at their fact checking.

Flag Post

Last post then I need to go to bed.
I haven’t read the entire thread, but if you are saying it is false due to no evidence of the ark, then I say that the wood probably rotted away long ago.