The similarities between WWI, WWII, The Cold War/Korean War, and The War in Iraq.

35 posts

Flag Post

Throughout my studies in History, (I’m still in High school) I noticed similarities between all the wars in the recent Millennia. It seems all of it has something to do with a dictator, and an unruly issue containing some form of political control. Now I ask you, Since America was involved in all of these events, are we part of the problem? And also, are we too powerful a Nation for our own good (American issue)?

Flag Post

I don’t think it would be fair to attribute responsibility of WW1 to the US. It was more down to extreme nationalism and alliances in Europe than anything America did. Nor was it particularly down to one dictator. The Korean war was one of ideology, to stop communism spreading, so you couldn’t really attribute that to a dictator.

Flag Post

I assume you meant century, and not millennium.

Anyways, the Iraq war is pretty unique in that list. In both world wars, the US was a late-comer to the party, waiting until we were directly and overtly attacked in both cases (the British ship Lusitania carrying US civilians in WWI and Pearl Harbor in WWII). And in all three of your first examples, we were involved in order to prevent the spread of something we perceived as a threat. In WWI and WWII it was the threat of a military expansionist empire in Europe (and the Pacific in WWII), and in the Cold War (which wasn’t a war, so it doesn’t really fit in your list) and Korean war, it was to prevent the spread of the threat of communism.

Iraq was none of these things. There was no overt attack on the US by the country of Iraq to prompt the war (you can’t argue 9/11 with how I worded that sentence). Also, we were not there as a response to the spreading of a threat. Our two rational were to stop the human rights abuses in the country, as part of the dictatorship, and the second was their suspected development of weapons of mass destruction.

Flag Post

How was WWI the fault of the United States? Did we not join until 1917?

Flag Post

And also, are we too powerful a Nation for our own good

with power comes corruption

Flag Post

So there isn’t any corruption in poor countries?

Good to know.

Flag Post

It doesn’t matter how much power you have in an absolute sense, only how much power you have relative to those around you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by pmr0078:

And also, are we too powerful a Nation for our own good

with power comes corruption

With daybreak comes light. Since we are stating the obvious.

Flag Post

I know of one that all share in common and CANNOT be disputed.

Death.

Flag Post

For the World Wars, America stayed out until they were attacked.
WWI: German submarines sank American ships.
WWII: Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:
Originally posted by pokarnor:

WWI: German submarines sank American ships.

WWII: Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.

America almost invited those attacks. They just were waiting for it.

The tactics are Romulan in nature. lol

I see them having it coming with Pearl Harbor, but they didn’t deserve to have an attack from the germans in WWI.

Flag Post

Although not entirely on topic, one thing I’ve noticed is that WWII (at least on the European side) was much like the rise of Napoleon. Napoleon and Hitler both came to power from not very influential families, took power during a shaky time (French Revolution/economic hardships), and used nationalism to spur large armies to take over Europe. Finally, both faced their downfall from trying to invade Russia.

Wars sprouting from dictators certainly aren’t confined to the 20th century, they’ve just become more a deal since democracy has grown to be a standard. And no, I don’t think these are America’s issue at all.

EDIT:

I see them having it coming with Pearl Harbor, but they didn’t deserve to have an attack from the germans in WWI.

I’m pretty sure the reason they attacked the British cruiser was that it was secretly carrying supplies from America, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. You can’t expect to stay neutral while supplying your allies with weapons.

Flag Post

It was a British ship in WWI, not an American ship.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Malachi:

Although not entirely on topic, one thing I’ve noticed is that WWII (at least on the European side) was much like the rise of Napoleon. Napoleon and Hitler both came to power from not very influential families, took power during a shaky time (French Revolution/economic hardships), and used nationalism to spur large armies to take over Europe. Finally, both faced their downfall from trying to invade Russia.

Wars sprouting from dictators certainly aren’t confined to the 20th century, they’ve just become more a deal since democracy has grown to be a standard. And no, I don’t think these are America’s issue at all.

EDIT:

I’m pretty sure the reason they attacked the British cruiser was that it was carrying supplies to Britain, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. You can’t expect to stay neutral while supplying your allies with weapons.

If I’m correct, Germany was also trying to make an alliance with Mexico, giving them help with taking back land in America from the American/Mexican War.

Flag Post

Oh, right, the Zimmerman Telegram.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Malachi:

Oh, right, the Zimmerman Telegram.

Exactly. Either way, Germany would’ve done it to convince Mexico to ally them and the rest of the Central Powers.
(Germany was with the Central Powers, right?)

Flag Post
I’m pretty sure the reason they attacked the British cruiser was that it was carrying supplies to Britain, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. You can’t expect to stay neutral while supplying your allies with weapons.

Spain was technically neutral in WWII, well, non-belligerent at least.

Flag Post

well america did wait until someone attacked them but if you also count technological diffrences

Flag Post

“As long as man lives, there will always be wars”

Einstein

Flag Post

Is our history education this bad?

WWI – America, violating neutrality laws, supplied the UK alone (not entirely our fault as the British had a hand, but we made no effort to fix this situation). Germany took the war to the sea to try to open up British blockades, and we used that as an excuse to start arming ships (despite Germany modifying its SOP several times to placate us). Eventually Germany said “to hell with it” and drew our non-neutral ass into the open. Note that the excuse for hostilities was Germany suggesting Mexico fight against us if we decided to enter the war.

WWII – Once again, America violated neutrality laws and supplied the Allies alone. We also prompted Pearl Harbor by attacking the Japanese economy.

Flag Post

WWI-Americans fight Germany WWII-Again but with Japan Cold War-Too much Communism Korean War-South Korea need Americas Help,and War in Iraq-…..No idea but its fought in Iran,and Afghanistan

Flag Post

SaintAjora,they didn’t attack the Japanese economy.They cutted the Japans Coal Supply,and Japans Leader got mad and told Japan to lauch a air attack at Pearl Harbor

Flag Post

America didn’t fight the Korean War people, the United Nations did… with 95% of the forces being US troops.

Flag Post

I’ll go in order.

WWI was not started by America, and we only came into the war after the sinking of a British ship carrying American civilians.

WWII was started by hitlers lust for revenge against Europe for the state of Germany after WWI, and the united states did not enter until being attacked by the Japanese, at which point hitler declared war against the United states. The Japanese attack was to weaken the US so that we couldn’t intervene in their conquest of the Pacific and create an empire.
Mind you, in my humble opinion, if we hadn’t entered, Britian would’ve taken a larger amount of casualties, prehaps even taken over by the Germans, which would’ve given them a single front to take Russia, causing the Russians to take massive casualties and most likely lose the war as well.

The Korean war happened after Pyongyang attacked Soul, and most of North Korea. At which point the United Nations declared a police action against Pyongyang and landed troops to defend the south. After the south was liberated, UN forces pushed north in order to eliminate the North Korean threat completely. China, fearing that it would be invaded after North Korea, poured troops south to combat the UN troops. Eventually they both stalemated on the 49th after ping-ponging back and forth.

The Cold war-Not a war, no comment.

Vietnam was started to stop the spread of Communism, as it was believed that if South Vietnam was captured there would be a domino effect (As there was) causing the spread of communism between most other southern Asian countries, and possibly further. The united states again did not start this war, but intervened to prevent the previously stated domino effect. In 1973, all US forces were out of vietnam after agreeing to a cease fire between both sides. Over the Next two years, North and South Vietnam both broke this Cease fire and eventually South Korea was overtaken, and US embassy personal and American Citizens had to leave quickly.

Desert Storm happened after Iraq invaded kuwait, and threatend the Sauddis, which caused another UN police action. After an intense air campaign, UN forces spearheaded into Kuwait and launched a left hook, cutting off most of the Iraqi Republican guard force, and eliminating them.

The Afghanistan War was caused after the events of 9/11, at which point US army rangers/Green Berets (I can’t remember which, anyone help?) landed in Afghanistan to seek and eliminate Osama Bin Ladin and the Taliban.

The 2nd Gulf War, or “The Iraq War”, was a result of Suddam Hussains brutal campaigns against humanity, and the suspicion of amassing WMD’s. After invasion, an insurgency erupted in Iraq, which lead to increased fighting, eventually calmed by an increase of US forces, advances in Counter Insurgency, and heart and mind tactics.