What if World War II never happened? page 3

106 posts

Flag Post

in ww2 the u.s.a firestormed japans major citys, and atom bombed two citys just because they bombed poarl harbor, wtf. many many many civilians died

Flag Post

Okay. First of all there would have been a world war 2 even if hitler did not rise up. Prior to WW2 japan was advancing territory and trying to conquer and collonize parts of asia. Pearl harbour probably still would have happened though the whole war would have been MUCH smaller (probably just a USA and asia thing and there would be no huge reason to build the nuke (the manhattan project was partly because the germans were trying to create the a-bomb first and so the USA turned a project that just a back yard experiment into something more mainstream). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

But what if no world war 2 at all? Well, most people have said this but deffinately USA would not be the world super power it is today. This, as most people, would say was partly because of great depression as well as no war would have prevented the industrial machine that was america from building up. Japan, as most people said, would definately not be as advance as it is now (the USA invested billions into Japan post WW2) and the culture of Japan would probably look more fuedal and focussed on honour (prior to Japan’s total surrender if you read up on japanese war time tradition you will hear how they do ritualistic suicide, etc). So that we know for sure.

What is more of a mystery for me is other details… such as would America have been economicly supperiour to europe (the depression was world wide, but after ww2 america loaned money out to europe and asia to help them rebuild… they did not have to rebuild anything but pear harbour whilst europe had to rebuild cities, infastructure, industry, etc that were destroyed). Would europe be more rich than america? or would america still be an industrial giant (albiet not the superpower that it is now).

I agree, cold war would never take place. However communism would exist, heck, it might even be one of the major political parties as would facist groups (if you look at politics pre-WW2 you will find alot of countries started to have a rise in popularity of facist and communist political parties…. this stopped dramaticlly when WW2 happened because….well…..they were the enemy) in some of the “pillars of democracy” aka: Britian, USA, etc these political parties were very popular leading up to the war. (history channel specails)

The other stuff I am less certian about. I know technology would definately not have advanced as fast as it did in the 40’s-60’s (alot of that technology was brought out by the war) but there is nothing to say that technology would not have grown at all. I am not sure if there would be a UN (there was something called the legue of nations right after WW1 which was like the UN but, obviously, was hugely inefficient as it did not prevent ww2). I am not sure if woman’s rights would have improved too much (women did get the right to vote before ww2, so they were gaining rights, perhaps it would have happened at a much slower pace had there been no war).

I do know that alot of our comic book heros would be differnt. No WW2, less of a reason to bring in heros such as captain america and etc who “fought” the nazi’s…etc

Ultimately, you can’t say much, you can only speculate

Flag Post

Or maybe not bump old threads that have been bumped many, many times. to say things that have long been said…

Flag Post

if it dident happen maybe we wouldent have the same weapon technology

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyjumba:

If World War II never happened, the Treaty of Versailles would need to be less harsh on Germany. It required Germany to take full responsibility of the war and almost demolished their army. The Treaty also took away some of Germany’s colonies. From my point of view, the Treaty was unfair to Germany. They deserved to get punished, but not like this.

Well actually if you look at how the 1st. World War started most of those who were involved should have been punished. But so the Loser gets punished, thats life.
The treaty of Versailles was bad, but it was soon ignored first secretly and then evermore openly.

To the question:
“What if World War II never happened?”

Depends on which changes to the alternate Time line are made to make this happen.

Just no invading of Poland or Britain and France ignoring the battle with Poland. Would have lead to no world war(at least for a time).
But there would still have been Hitler and the Holocaust would have happened but just contained within the German borders.

Removing Hitler out of the alternative Universe and replacing him with another nazi-leader would lead to more changes depending on the Personality of that leader.

Flag Post

IF WWII never happened we would have more oil, and more people in the general population and the BP oil spill.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ervin014:

in ww2 the u.s.a firestormed japans major citys, and atom bombed two citys just because they bombed poarl harbor, wtf. many many many civilians died

45k 1st A bomb 25k 2nd A bomb i belive it was that died, but hey japan dident decliare war before they attacked you have too lol there are rules to war you know

Flag Post

well i belive the german people made hand guns 1st(i could be wrong) they would be really poor because of black tusday cold war would most likey never of happend there would be more but i cant really thing of some right now

Flag Post

i would just die

Flag Post

Many civilians died at Pearl Harbor, too. The Japanese knew the risks, they just didn’t know they would get THE SH** BOMBED OUT OF THEM. Essentially, they bombed us, we bombed them.. Fairs Fair.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Daniel9laliberte:

45k 1st A bomb 25k 2nd A bomb i belive it was that died, but hey japan dident decliare war before they attacked you have too lol there are rules to war you know

Exactly. the Geneva Conventions demonstrated these rules.

Although, Iraq and Pakistan should be declared an International Threat, as Pakistan has Nuclear Weapons, and might be trading them with Iraq.

Anyway, back on topic.

The world would be VERY Different if there were no Nazis, no Hitler, no Wehrmacht.

Flag Post

Japan would’ve had full control and followers by now.But ont listen to me.Im not smart

Flag Post
Originally posted by undeadcupcake3:

Many civilians died at Pearl Harbor, too. The Japanese knew the risks, they just didn’t know they would get THE SH** BOMBED OUT OF THEM. Essentially, they bombed us, we bombed them.. Fairs Fair.

About 57 Civilians Died and 37 were wounded. And many of those were due to ‘friendly fire’; the shells of AA-guns falling into civilian areas after missing their targets. The Japanese did not waste Bombs or Torpedoes on Civilian targets during the attack.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

No World War, no death, maybe no Israel, although the Belfour thing was signed in 1917, and I guess the Brits wouldn’t have got some real hardcore punishment for conquering half the world, but I guess if Hitler didn’t start the WW2, Crazy Stalin would’ve done that for sure I guess, but it already happened, we can’t change history, so anyways Wars are bad, if WW2 didn’t happen the world maybe would’ve been better in some things and bad in others, damn Serbs started WW1 that lead to WW2, anyways WW2 would’ve happened anyway, those treaties surely made Hitler mad with a big red face like a Tomato.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Ervin, I do not think that if someone bombs your military harbour you nuke his country, I do not think it would be fair.

Flag Post

Heh, hard to tell really. Impossible in fact if you don’t provide someone with a reason. As in: why would there be no WWII? I’d say communism would still be a problem and either try to take over gradually or there would be a WWII just not against Germans. And since Ruskies died by the boatload due to technological disadvantages and some fine idiocy at work (seriously, their way of disarming minefields was charging through and counting the losses as victims of machinegun fire) I guess that one might not have evolved into a global thing either. Not with Germany and their tech fighting against Stalin alongside pretty much everyone else.

With the tense political situation back then I’d say tech would still have some chance to evolve some more though possibly not to the extent it did due to WWII. Germans pretty much proved technological superiority can beat numbers as long as there’s enough resources to go around.

Also Poland would still be screwed somehow :P We had it coming ;) It’s real hard to keep an empire or even a moderately powerful country in that kind of location without going berzerk on your neighbors on a regular basis and times when this would work well (like it did a few centuries back) were long since over :P

Flag Post

Its not really idiocy to send expendable troops into a minefield to clear it. It’s just a very different concept of the value of a human life. Plus, they had so many cheap soldiers that they could afford to do that, and still mount an offensive on the other side.

Meanwhile the mines could only be produced and laid so fast. Effort spent making them, was effort not spent on other munitions.

Flag Post

I suppose putting mechanical flails on a set of tanks (and heck they got plenty of those – they lost about as many as several other countries built in the first place) to whip the mines out of the ground semi-safely really is just another way to do it. But while not trying to insult anyone here (thanks for the moderation, I needed that apparently) I still find the method of making everything expendable slightly inefficient. It’s not like any country has unlimited resources or manpower.

Also that’s pretty much why I think a Russia vs World conflict in preatomic era wouldn’t evolve into a global thing. A few years back (around 1920) Poland was enough to withstand a soviet (as in soviet Russia, not soviet Union) offensive. Historians still refer to it as a miracle, but fact is some technology was at work here as well, aaand… well OK, I won’t call it fine idiocy at work this time, I’ll call it superior tactical skill on our part ;)

Flag Post

boatload due to technological disadvantages and some fine idiocy at work

They had some good commanders, hindered by the party. Their tech?
My friend, I must introduce you to the T-34. Best all around tank of the war, and the best this world’s ever seen. Fast and packing a hell of a punch, they could be produced by the thousands a month. Plus, they also had some pretty smart rocket scientists. They just never really deployed rockets on the scale of Germany. And by scale, I mean size, not extensive use. Used rockets a lot, but not near as big as Germany’s. Also had some early ramjet concepts that never really made it off paper.

Not with Germany and their tech fighting against Stalin alongside pretty much everyone else.

The amazing thing was that they started 3 years earlier than was originally planned. Such a small country being able to hold off the world for so long- if America hadn’t joined in or had they not attacked Russia there would have been one hell of a stalemate. Japan was screwed from the start for a long list of reasons, but mostly old equipment.

It’s not like any country has unlimited resources or manpower.

I believe they had somewhere like a 64 to 1 advantage on the Germans. They had to deploy troops in the eastern parts of Russia, but they’d still have a hell of a lot of troops. For all intents and purposes, their resources were infinite. They were producing somewhere around 10,000 tanks a month. That was a hell of a lot more than the Germans who had to fight the other Allies as well.

Flag Post

WW2 could easily have been avoided if Neville Chaimberlain had stood up to Hitler and not try to appease him.

Flag Post
Originally posted by undeadcupcake3:

There’s a difference between attacking a port with the intent to sink military vessels and firebombing cities.

But total war is… total war.

Flag Post

Actually, they meant to bomb the whole damn port, but they only hit a small area compared to what they intended. They missed the factories, the base housing, and other critical facilities due to incompetence.
Granted, when we firebombed the hell out of their cities, it might seem a little unbalanced, except that the Japanese tried and failed to bomb the US homeland. I believe there was one fighter bomber and a single one of their bomb balloons that ended up doing any damage. Total war is total war: it’s a terrible thing to be engaged in, but when neither side understands the other and one side is totally dominant and one suicidal, well, it sucks for those caught in the crossfire.

Flag Post

Not to mention the Japanese weren’t going to surrender any time soon, and an invasion of the Japanese mainland would probably cause even more loss of life.