Capital Punishment In England

27 posts

Flag Post

do you thinkcapital punishment is right and if so shoulnd it be return to england

Flag Post

This topic would be a lot better if you told everyone when it was banned from England, as well as why you think one way or the other.

My opinion on this is no. Having the capital punishment anywhere, wont solve crime. It is just an easy way out for rapists, terrorists (Most notably Saddam Hussein. As well as Osama…once we catch him if he isn’t already dead), serial killers, etc… Its basically a “Get out of this miserable life” card.

If anything, I’d suggest for the world to STOP using the capital punishment, make everyone who’s done something horribly wrong, sit there and think about it until they perish, naturally.

Flag Post

/agree with razor.

Did you know that it actually costs [i]more[/i] to put a person on Death Row and execute him/her than it does to keep them in jail for all their life?

Flag Post

Does anybody have a source for that? I’m not saying it’s false, but I’ve heard both stories and I’d be interesting to see which costs more.

Flag Post

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=facts&menu=1%22

Flag Post

Interesting page. While I think a lot of the reasons on that anti-death penalty page are bull, I guess if it really is more expensive (they don’t say why, btw), then I think there isn’t a really good reason to have it =P

Flag Post

No, in fact, that page is very bad. It doesn’t reference any sources whatsoever, relying on rhetoric to get it’s point across.

It was just the first one that came up in Google, and I was in a bit of a hurry.

Flag Post

Heh, understandable. I found this site http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/ off Google and am looking into atm, seems to be alright =P

Flag Post

less then 60 years go a man got excuted at wandworth prison in england for a crime he did not comit.
my opinion on this matter is no because no one has the right to take anothers life.

Flag Post

It depends. Most liberal people don’t want to have capital punishment, seems inhumane to them. Conservative people think otherwise.

I suggest, it goes to the “fear factor of killing other poor humans” part that people should consider.

Flag Post

I’m somewhat cynical about the matter. If it saves money, kill them, if not, throw them in jail (However, I do admit the number of people released from death row is a little concerning).

One thing I always thought was interesting was; what’s worse, killing an innocent person, or condemning a innocent person to life in prison?

And legendblaze, I think that would only hold up if you were a total pacifist, and opposed to killing of any kind. Although that statement is true for U.S. citizens, what are the rights of criminals?

Flag Post

I used to be very much pro-death penalty. To my mind, you forfeit your right to life if you willingly and purposely commit a significantly heinous act. Heck, for a while, I was full on eye-for-an-eye. That is, if you rip out someone’s intestines and strangle them with them, the same should be done to you. That’d sure as hell deter me from doing it, I’ll say that!

I have since started to re-consider this whole “right to life” thing. I’m honestly still not sure where I stand.

However, the fact that it costs more (legal fees and such included) to kill someone than the imprison them for life is the most compelling reason to me to drop the death sentence. I mean, really, how many lifers have actually gotten out early and gone out and killed someone again (I honestly don’t know – anyone have anything on this?)? If it’s a low risk, can we really justify the cost and the killing?

Flag Post

You know if you kill an inmate you can make room for another. Just throwing that out there so we wont have to keep enlarging prisons and building new ones. So yes it does in my opinion cost less in the long run than keeping them for life. Anyways if someone murders a family of four and eats their puppy it should be left up to any survivors, relatives, or family friends if they want him to spend the rest of his life in a prison where they feed you, give you shelter, entertainment, exercise, ect. Or they could chose to have him killed in whatever way you feel necessary.

rip out someone’s intestines and strangle them with them

fact is all he will do is go “oppps that was a bad idea” because he was stuck in a shitty place and told what he did was wrong enough that it (I dont mean this in any evil sense) “brainwashed” him into thinking that way.

Flag Post

A little off-topic but related because its a bit of an alternative to the Death Penalty (Dun DUN Duuuuuun).

I’ve always like judges who always put in ironic punishments like (I’m using a petty crime as an example): You attempt to steal a car, you are forced to live in a car. :P

Just my 2 cents.

Flag Post

Ohhh yeah I heard this from my dad (he has had some experience with jails). Anyone who commits premeditated murder and turns around and says he is sorry diserves to be tied upside down and beaten like a pinata untill they feel like killing again.

Flag Post

The death penalty is only useful when it is swift and common.

It doesn’t work in societies that believe in a right to life — as most western ones currently do. I say we sidebar it until our society returns to an era where life means very little. It only serves to stir up controversy and wasteful spending on lawyers and appeals until then.

Flag Post

I’m forced to agree. Life in prison is cheaper, faster, and just as effective, while still maintaining that pesky “right to live” thing. While I think I personally am in favor of the death penalty on moral grounds, when it comes to practical applications it’s just not worth it.

Flag Post

why should we kill people to show that killing is wrong?

Flag Post

Haha, a fine point. The ever-ironic parent slapping the child while saying “Don’t hit people!”

My moral justification is that these people have forfeited their right to life by committing such heinous acts. We want to discourage such acts from being performed in the future, and to do so one could argue that the best way is to have a very severe penalty for it. So the question becomes: is life in prison a sufficient enough deterrent to avoid casual murders? Or should we instead start cutting people’s hands off? What is an appropriate punishment for rape and murder?

Flag Post

Well, death panelty is a great way to deal with prisons over populating. I believe death penalty is a good way to get rid of society’s worst without having to contain them for years and years while new wrong doers join them and the prison gets overcrowded and overpopulated. On the other hand, another good way to deal with that situation is like they did in the T.V show Oz. Put all the inmates in a closed hall all day long, let them eat and work, and most importantly kill each other. If there isn’t enough room in their “emerald city” send them to gen pop. and when someone gets killed put them in emerald city. Great way to get rid of a lot of prisoners without taking their right to live or risking any legal action.

Flag Post

how do i put pictures on as i know a good picture for this topic?

Flag Post

You can either just post a link, or put the link between !s and that will embed it.

Flag Post

how bout this graph then :O

Flag Post

Wow. Is that US or UK (or other)? That’s actually a very compelling graph. I’m trying to think how that can be manipulated or explained (perhaps in some historical or statistical context) other than that death sentence is a great deterrent. I suppose the one question I have is how much of a delay is there on death sentences? (in the US it takes years, if not decades)

Also, just to note for those glancing at the chart: those two lines are on very different scales. There are many more murders than executions (Total Pop / 66,000 times as many, actually).

Flag Post

Similar graph here: http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

I think it’s the USA, the (grayscale) graph is at the bottom. The rest of the article is quite interesting too (though I have only skimmed through it).