Why are breasts considered "private" parts?

167 posts

Flag Post

I don’t understand why breasts are considered private parts. They’re just like men’s, only… bigger.

Flag Post

You made an account just to post this? o.o

Flag Post

Human females have swollen breasts because as our ancestors developed from primates walking on all fours to primates walking on two, the primary sexual region (the buttocks) became more hidden from view. Breasts are an example of self-mimicry – to use Desmond Morris’ nomenclature – in this case emulating the two spheres of the rump (consider why cleavage is often sought after).

Breasts are private parts exactly because of their relation to sexuality.

Flag Post

They’re just like men’s

Not really.

Flag Post

Breasts are considered private since they induce sexual urges. Let’s say you were female, (Unless you are…) would you walk around with no top on? I doubt it, with men getting erections all around you. THAT is why breasts are kept private, unless you live in some parts of Europe.

Flag Post

the primary sexual region (the buttocks)

I think you’re using the wrong hole.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

the primary sexual region (the buttocks)

I think you’re using the wrong hole.

He was referring to terms of display and mate-attraction, not use in intercourse.

Originally posted by Developmental:

Breasts are considered private since they induce sexual urges. Let’s say you were female, (Unless you are…) would you walk around with no top on? I doubt it, with men getting erections all around you. THAT is why breasts are kept private, unless you live in some parts of Europe.

That is self re-enforcing to a ridiculously large degree. Consider many older cultures, in the type of culture I am refering to, where breasts are not hidden, mostly becuase no one has ever been taught to think anything of it, they are not particularly prone to the effect of causing men to get erections at the sight of them. In other words, the problem is caused by the fact that they are hidden, so they are hidden to avoid the problem.

Originally posted by Vanguarde2:

OP, think you are confused? Look at this guy from India or whatever..

The dude is trying to breast feed.

God. Help. Us.

It’s actually possible, effectively, though extremely rare. It is possible for a man to lactate, he has the same related organs, only lacking quantities of hormones.

Flag Post

i think wemon have just as much right to take there shirts off as men do

Flag Post

Women’s breasts function differently than men’s. They are percieved as sexual, and I agree with that.

Flag Post

In many cities in America the breast is not a private part. The areola and nipple are considered private parts.

As for the reason I believe most of our sexual repression goes back to Americas Gilded Age. This was a time in America when Christianity was not all that different from the Muslim religion. The temperance movement was started and women were to be covered from the chin down. Sex was for procreation not recreation.

Each generation removes a little more of the absurdity from these times but we are still not that far removed from them. I am 45 years old but my maternal grandfather was born in the 1890’s. Their influence is still felt.

Flag Post

Simples: They aren’t seen very often, just like legs, arms, and ankles have all been sexualized.

Flag Post

The strange thing is, women are allowed to show your breast in public, but only to protest not being able to show their breast in public, because then it is protected by the first amendment. Makes perfect sense.

Flag Post

I’m sexually attracted to a beautiful face, so everyone should cover their faces.

Flag Post

Keep your fetishes to yourself, you freak.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheDavidCarney:

I’m sexually attracted to a beautiful face, so everyone should cover their faces.

(and thus, Islam was born)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Flypurplehamster:
Originally posted by TheDavidCarney:

(and thus, Islam was born)

Actually it involves much more history including figures like Allah and Mohammad. (I know you were joking)

Flag Post

Why do we wear clothes at all when it’s hot out?

Flag Post

To avoid sunburns and STD’s.

Flag Post

Why do we wear clothes at all? I don’t see other animals wearing clothes. We should all just let our junk hang and blow in the wind.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

So if I keep my shirt on during sex it will lower my chance of getting AIDS?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spaghedeity:

Can’t hurt to try.

Flag Post

Why do we wear clothes at all? I don’t see other animals wearing clothes. We should all just let our junk hang and blow in the wind.

Clothing affords protection from the elements and hazardous activities, can advertise social status, and enhances hygiene.

Wearing pants will lower the chance of those sores on your ass leaving behind an STD on a surface that other people will later sit on.

Flag Post

UV rays give you STDs? I will never look at sunlight the same way again.

Flag Post

Did you know that it is possible mention two separate events in a single sentence?

Flag Post

Did you know that it is possible mention two separate events in a single sentence?

If you say it correctly.