Why do the liberal Democrats want to take guns away from Americans?

5861 posts

Flag Post

Why do the libs want to take gun rights away from Americans?

It is known that in his second term Obama plans to try to change American’s right to bear arms. He wants to change the constitution for christ’s sake!

Why are so many people, mostly libs and democrats, afraid of gun ownership?

Why can’t they leave gun owners like myself alone and worry about their own affairs? Why do they seek to change the world into their vision of what is right?

I am a responsible gun owner, I protect my guns, lock them up when not used, I do everything by the book of law, yet I still get harassed and talked down to by liberals who think I am a redneck hick because I own and shoot guns.

How is it these so called educated and worldly people be so stupid when it comes to this? I just don’t understand the exact nature of their hate towards gun owners.

The overwhelming majority of gun owners by nature are safe owners, it’s the bad seeds that give gun owners a bad name.

Then you get the anti-hunters who attack gun owners. I do not hunt, I just enjoy collecting guns, and shooting them at ranges and in my back yard. I actually like to clean them and reassemble them. Libs seem to assume that if you are a gun owner, you are a hunter. Not true.

I have no less than three locks with separate keys to get to the point where you can re-assemble one of my guns to use. I have a digital lock on my gun safe’s, plus extra protection on my high caliber weapons. For christs sake the last key to get into the big safe is in itself IN a safe.

There is also this notion that gun owners are stupid people who enjoy violence. That’s not true. I am training my children to be safe around guns, to respect them.

It’s the parents who have terrible gun safety who’s kids find their loaded, unlocked gun, and blow their head off or their friends. My kids, including my daughters, will never do that.

So I ask you all, why does President Obama like rumored want to take on gun ownership rights in his second term? It is rumored he feels only the police and the government should own and use guns. And in general, why do Democrats want to heavily punish gun owners, and in fact revise the constitution to ban them?

- WarMachine2009

Flag Post

The reduction of gun ownership could mean safer streets, since less people could get to guns easily. Besides, some people may not be as safe with their guns as your are. There are always the tragic stories of young children killing their siblings on accident because of unprotected guns. But Obama would be taking a great risk if he wanted to change the constitution.

Flag Post

It’s probably a bit more complicated than just taking gun away from americans.

It’s genrally guns that are in circulation for the sole purpose of shooting another human being that they want to reduce this includes people that would only use one in self defense. In most countries where gunownership is illegal you can obtain a license to own a gun for the puposes you do.

It’s a hard call to make weighing up peoples freedoms agaisnt the possible saving of lives.

I know many people that can safely control a car while over the alchol limit should these people not have the freedom to drive if they want to.

Flag Post

The overwhelming majority of gun owners by nature are safe owners

Where did you get these statistics?

Flag Post

Thai t00k arrr guunz!

Flag Post

Why? Because like it or not, not everyone is as good a gun owner as you. Idiots + guns = a dangerous combination, and out of a population of over 300m, just think how many gun-owning idiots there are in the US…

I’m British, and we have far stricter gun control laws – handguns are 100% illegal, as are semi-autos, and long-barrelled shotguns of no more than 3 shots are heavily-regulated and only legal when genuine and valid need is shown (self-defence isn’t a valid reason). Rifles are also massively-regulated with firearms licenses. Air-weapons are available, but over a certain PSI you need a firearms license.

Of course some people still have them, criminal and non-criminal. But if you get caught with one, you’re in deep trouble.

The murder rate here is almost 4 times lower than it is in the US. The percentage of murders involving a gun is 6.6%. In the US, the percentage of murders involving a gun is way over 50%… and a gun is used in over 70% of murders of those aged 13-35.

You can probably see where I’m coming from… stricter gun control would undoubtedly lead to less murders, because the more guns you take out of the hands of the common idiot, the less chance there is of that common idiot killing someone.

That, no doubt, is why such proposals are said to be on the table.

On a personal note, I’d really like to target-shoot and stuff like that, and think it’s a shame morons reduce freedoms for the rest of us. So I’m not anti-gun at all – I’m anti-idiots-with-guns.

Flag Post

For one thing, I have a feeling Obama won’t get a second term.
And for another thing (I can’t remember where i saw this) “If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns”.

Flag Post

The right to bear arms came before there was a government-established militia or army. Back then, you had to defend yourself and your property, as the government sure couldn’t do it for you. Now, we have police, sheriffs, and a number of federal levels of defense.

The right to bear arms is a relic from a time long gone, and now it is being abused. The right is allowing guns into those who quite frankly shouldn’t have access to them (be it from mental disability or some other psychological or physiological condition). I believe the right to operate a motor vehicle would make far more sense than the right to operate a firearm.

I wish to know why certain people fret so much over this right being revoked, and claiming it “unconstitutional” is irrelevant. The constitutions of each and every state gets changed quite often with every general election, and the US constitution gets changed periodically with federal elections. However, we don’t go around complaining about the fact the constitution was changed at every public election, do we?

The fact is, our constitutions will change as time progresses and certain rights become either necessary or irrelevant. We the people had a right to form a militia—and we still do, according to the constitution—but if we do so, we will be struck down quite quickly. We have the right to free speech, yet if we talk (even jokingly) about harming a public place or a high-ranked official, we attract the attention of the FBI and, in rare cases, are slapped with conspiracy charges.

The right to bear arms is a relic from a different time. It’s a relic from a time where carrying a sidearm was necessary to support and protect yourself and your family. However, I personally know quite a number of Americans who live quite nicely without a firearm in their possession, myself being one.

Why do people cling so tightly to their ability to wield a firearm, especially when other rights granted by the first ten amendments are also being violated?

Requesting explanation from someone who whole-heartedly believes in their right to bear a firearm. And please, don’t use constitutionality as a basis.

Flag Post

It is known that in his second term Obama plans to try to change American’s right to bear arms. He wants to change the constitution for christ’s sake!

[citation needed]

Flag Post
Originally posted by WarMachine2009:

Why can’t they leave gun owners like myself alone and worry about their own affairs? Why do they seek to change the world into their vision of what is right?

The conservatives try to do the same thing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by blood18:

Yes, but in a good way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zman1995:

Yes, but in a good way.

That’s not necessarily true.

Flag Post

Yes, but in a good way.

No, maybe not, but still the constitution says that we have the right to bear arms, just like we have freedom of speech, we can say “Obama/Bush sucks”, or we can say “Obama/Bush is the best president ever”, and the government can do nothing about it.

Flag Post

No, maybe not, but still the constitution says that we have the right to bear arms, just like we have freedom of speech, we can say “Obama/Bush sucks”, or we can say “Obama/Bush is the best president ever”, and the government can do nothing about it.

And when the law gets changed to it being illegal to have a weapon, it will say just that. Laws aren’t always permanent.

Flag Post

Yes, but in a good way.

So I ask you all, why does President Obama like rumored want to take on gun ownership rights in his second term? It is rumored he feels only the police and the government should own and use guns. And in general, why do Democrats want to heavily punish gun owners, and in fact revise the constitution to ban them?

- WarMachine2009

As you have said these are rumors that either have not been confirmed yet and if they have would you please site your source that says he is for sure going to try to take that right away or even that he is going to try to change the Constitution.

Flag Post

Yes, but in a good way.

Now try yelling “fire” in a crowded theater, and see how much the government can’t do about it. Learning the basics of law should be mandatory in school.

Why do the libs want to take gun rights away from Americans?

Because conservatives are war mongering Neanderthals:

Hi! We need to launch a full scale attack on Iran ASAP!

Now if you want to have a real debate, try doing some research and stop spouting whatever crap pops into your head.

Flag Post

Why can’t they leave gun owners like myself alone and worry about their own affairs?

They have to change and make better the nation, or else why pay them millions of dollars?

I am a responsible gun owner

Not everyone is, and because of this this a change is needed.

I have no less than three locks with separate keys to get to the point where you can re-assemble one of my guns to use. I have a digital lock on my gun safe’s, plus extra protection on my high caliber weapons. For christs sake the last key to get into the big safe is in itself IN a safe.
It’s the parents who have terrible gun safety

I am quite sure a lot of people keep them in places easily accessible, for when the need comes, they (think to) have to be quick.

I am training my children to be safe around guns, to respect them.bq.

Good, but there must be someone that teaches how to use them.
(reasons may be good or bad)

“If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns”. bq.

True, but only in-laws can give them guns.

it’s a shame morons reduce freedoms for the rest of us.

yes, but wath can we do? can we kill them? no. they have rights, they are people.
can we arrest them? no, to be moron is not a crime. we cant do anything. because our rules give us freedom. I am free to go 200mph. after that they will make me pay, i will go to jail. bt i will be free again. i will DO it AGAIN. i will teach my childrens to be like ME. They will do it with their childrens. Its like cancer, you dont stop it and it will slowly take everything.

Flag Post

I honestly can’t see the big issue here. Why not just learn to trust the police like we do in other countries, and find yourself a new hobby? Guns are made to kill people, and for the manufacturers to profit from just that. I can’t see how that is so fascinating, if not fascinatingly cynical.

Flag Post

to trust the police

you got another problem

Flag Post

You can probably see where I’m coming from… stricter gun control would undoubtedly lead to less murders, because the more guns you take out of the hands of the common idiot, the less chance there is of that common idiot killing someone.

That’s not true. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Flag Post

what is strange is that most people forget the second part of the second amendment, the government has full power to take our guns away if we aren’t part of a militia, or military group. this coming from a gun owner, just FYI

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkAlexander:

to trust the police

you got another problem

Not being steeped in constant and irrational fear of everything and everyone?

Originally posted by burningcheez:

That’s not true. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

That in no way refutes the statement you quote, it is simply an alternative situation. The United States can’t seem to decide on either situation and prefers to wallow in a state of constant mismanagement and poor regulation.

Flag Post

That in no way refutes the statement you quote, it is simply an alternative situation. The United States can’t seem to decide on either situation and prefers to wallow in a state of constant mismanagement and poor regulation.

You’re right. I guess I was assuming he also meant less strict gun control would inevitably lead to more murders.

Flag Post

Well he could have meant that, I see what you mean.

Flag Post

Why do the conservative Republicans want to make NASCAR a weekly national holiday in America?