Where do you draw the line? page 2

33 posts

Flag Post

There is alive, and dead. The conflict is against the spikes, and you have the possibility to get yourself into bad spots and die, so it fits the rules of a game.

Flag Post

There’s actually a whole lot of game states in ragdoll avoidance games. The ragdoll’s current position and vector, the spikes’ current positions and vectors, points scored and probably time elapsed all contribute to the game state; change any of them, and you’ve got a different game state.

Flag Post

cmon guys, i know you have more to say about this

Flag Post

I don’t think a game needs a definate goal… but it at least needs possible things to aim for. You can… make a game out of things that aren’t themselves a game.. i.e. not intended to use for playing.. but with the possiblity for something to aim for… and also the “aims” can be as abstract as your mind will allow… these things could lead to anything outside the computer as well. I was thinking along the lines of RPG’s to begin with… but then that other stuff started to come into view.

random example time!!

-moving between icons on your desktop by holding down the arrow keys, and seeing if you can get it to stop at particular points.

-Throwing things in the bin from a distance.

-seeing how accurately and speediful you can draw checked pixels in paint.

-In an FPS, seeing how well you can keep aim at people’s heads, while jumping around, and without shooting.

Even within a game.. you can find games of your own.. if you want to. That last random example i think is a good example to be given to this question: is a game still worthy of being called a game if you are not provided with proper feedback?

I think I’ll leave it there =/. This is just a few thoughts… if you don’t agree with any of this or think I went way too general or anything then fair enough, cos I just thought I’d just share a moment of my random thinking lol. Also, I’m sorry if alot of this is unclear and doesn’t make much sense.

Flag Post

this is really intresting, seriously, no sarcasm. well, im not sure if i can make a good contribution to this, but ill take a stab at it.

so a game in its most basic form is something with two ultimate outcomes. win and loss. sometimes, the win and loss conditions are not exact, and are decided by the player. for example, a game of “horse”. the win condition is: you copy your opponents shot, such as in basketball, or you do something more amazing then your opponent, such as in “skate” in tony hawk games. however, what actually determines your win or loss is determined by the move befor you, when the game starts, no conditions are set. I honestly have no idea where im going with this. i guess what im saying is in a game, there is just win and loss. so that means “click the button” is not a game, consitering there is only a win condition. and “crossing bridges” is not a game beacuse there is only a loss condition. i guess that stick figure penalty isn’t a game either, there is no win of lose. however, in some way, it can be a game using Zantiers method, make a game out of it. so lets say you fire up stick figure penalty and say “if i chose a weapon that busts this guys head open i win, if is head doesn’t bust open, i lose”. now there are win a loss conditions specified by the player, so if he uses a shotgun and shoots his head off, he wins. if he uses the foot, his head doesn’t break, he looses.

wow, i just made that up as i went, what a mouthfull…

Flag Post

This is just a few thoughts… if you don’t agree with any of this or think I went way too general or anything then fair enough, cos I just thought I’d just share a moment of my random thinking lol. Also, I’m sorry if alot of this is unclear and doesn’t make much sense.

that makes perfect sense

acidlava, i like your input too.

So, phoenix, would a flash animation be considered a game if you could set you own win/ loss conditions

Flag Post

i’m not sure i’d need anything more than a set of rules, player(s), and a set of goals (in the sense of anything which should give the player direction as to what to do. could be general like “get more money” or something specific like “get $10,000”)

i don’t think i’d need the player to be human. and i’d probably leave this open enough that a game with empty goals could still be called a game. or without rules or players. though… this would be the trivial game :D

i don’t think victory conditions or winning/losing needs to be a part of it. or even a method of comparing two players, or comparing a players status in one instance of the game against an earlier instance of the game. being “better” doesn’t have to be meaningful. i think those are just additional rules, like ‘the player wins if ______’ and a goal saying ‘the player should try to win’

Flag Post

hmmm, this may not need reviving but i want to mention somthing else.

me and cooldragon23 were talking about my newest(and only), game.

By these definitions, does my game count as a “game”?

if so, or if not, should these definitions be redifined?

link to my game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/physcomonkeykid/armageddon

EDIT: it is really hard, even with the rules, deciding which is game and which is not