2008 China Olympics

23 posts

Flag Post

With all the current hoo-hah over the Olympics, I feel that it has become more of a political arena, instead of a sporting event. I mean, sports isn’t supposed to be associated with politics, yet, all the Tibet riots and everything are compromising the true spirit of the Olympics.

With only 5 months away from the Olympics, and China’s pollution problems, and political problems, I do not think that China should have been chosen to host the olympics.

What are your thoughts?

Flag Post

The olympics has always been associated with politics. that is to say it’s always been a Mini-War of sorts for defining who’s countries is better than the others. The Olympics has only been stopped two times, once for ww1 and the other ww2. It may be stopped for a third time for this crisis in Tibet if it does it will be the first in over 50 years. It’s not compromising anything except whether or not the games will go on or not, the atheletes themselves are unaffected (unless someone starts sniping them), and as long as the athletes do what they do then the Olympics will be the same as always.

Flag Post

Yeah, one of the points of getting to hold the olimpics is it’s a chance to show how great you country is. After China the olimpics is going to be held in London, and we’re already having ‘clean-ups’ in some London areas.

Flag Post

I have just heard in the news that China is having a hard time getting enough food for their own people, when they have to feel all the journalists/athletes during the OL. It is a bit “scary” to think about, they are doing all they can to make an impression on other countries, while they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

I mean, they are still a developing country (they say so themselves athleast), and imagine how many poor people they can feed for the money, or how many hospitals or roads they could build?

Flag Post

Did anybody see the group of protesters who ran in front of the guy who was making the speech

I say tip o’ the hat to you Grand ’ol China for cleaning up your air!, not completely, but you get the point ;D

Flag Post

It’s not about who’s country is better than the others in this case, Phatcat, I mean, Tibet is trying to get other countries to boycott the Olympics, and so far, it’s working (ex. Athletes dropping out, Steven Spielberg dropping out of designing for the Olympics because China refuses to stop Darfur war etc.) The Olympic Games should not be a platform for political change, it should be about sports and sportsmanship. The 2008 olympics has not achieved this objective.

Flag Post

It’s kind of ridiculous actually. China is guaranteeing good weather for the Olympics, even if they have to mess around with seeding clouds and other junk like that.

Flag Post

I’d like to ask, how did the Tibet riot compromise the true spirit of Olympics? Let’s take an example. If we were to play basketball in well-lit gyms, then it’d compromise the true spirit of the game if we moved over to a street court? See, that’s why Brasil manages to put out such great soccer players. Because they don’t need to have a perfect maintained field to keep the spirit of the game. The Tibet riot, as reported by foreign tourists in their own home videos, was started by Tibetans and monks. They saw how the whole thing started, yet Western media twisted it around, along with Taiwan news outlets. Good thing about it is that we can immediately see who believes who is told to them, and hold that bias so dearly to them. The Tibet riot isn’t going to stop the Olympics.

Yeti: I have just heard in the news that China is having a hard time getting enough food for their own people

What country does not have a problem with homeless/class discrepancies? If you take a look at USA, they seem to have a similar problem, yet they still held numerous Olympics. All of a sudden, this is a problem for China? Canada’s World Expo in Montreal has left a humongous debt, they kinda shot themselves with the foot. But is that of a great concern now? Are we condemning all other countries that had past transgressions? Nope, seems like people just like to pass the bias against China along without thinking about it. That’s why media works so well, right? So you don’t have to think. You’re still forgetting the revenue that Olympics can potentially bring to a country, monetary and for the economy, so it could be a worthy investment. You also do not know how much money China put toward improving conditions of the western districts of China, but I guess that’s only natural.

yzysg: Tibet is trying to get other countries to boycott the Olympics, and so far, it’s working (ex. Athletes dropping out, Steven Spielberg dropping out of designing for the Olympics because China refuses to stop Darfur war etc.) The Olympic Games should not be a platform for political change, it should be about sports and sportsmanship. The 2008 olympics has not achieved this objective.

You’re funny. :) USA is incapable at stopping the war in Darfur, neither is France, Britain, Germany, and in fact any other country in UN. Yet China gets the hammer? Did they draw straws and China got the short one? Let’s take a look at facts.

1. The conflict in Darfur, while being ethnic and tribal in nature, was triggered by economical/ecological reasons. Global warming was said to be part of the reason that caused the drought, which was the main trigger. Here’s a link.
It will explain the situation.

2. China was criticized for influencing the sanctions placed on Darfur. Now you must ask yourself, how does limiting trade with a country that is fighting because of the limited amounts of life-sustaining resources help the situation? The answer is pretty simple. It doesn’t. Here’s the article behind part of the reason why China did it.

3. China was also criticized for the military trades with Darfur. The $100M arms deal was not unnoticed by the world. But compare that to the US military bases that are now in the region in Africa. China was said to be interested in oil, but it seems that US is the leading export of oil from Africa. Here’s the link.

4. Quoted from wikipedia, look there for sources please. "On the opposite side of the issue, publicity given to the Darfur conflict has been criticized in some segments of the Arab media as exaggerated. Statements to this effect take the view that “the (Israeli) lobby prevents any in-depth discussion and diverts the attention from the crimes committed every day in Palestine and Iraq.”51…"
Link to wikipedia

Einar: It’s kind of ridiculous actually. China is guaranteeing good weather for the Olympics, even if they have to mess around with seeding clouds and other junk like that.

Of course they would promise good weather. What merchant will say that their product is discoloured and not pristine? Who would say that the event that they are hosting will be rained on? If you can control the weather, would you not try to influence the rain? State of California is known for cloud seeding. In different parts of China, sometimes this is necessary to alleviate the drought. What is ridiculous about it?

Flag Post

I think you get paid by china :P

What i was trying to say is that i dont think China should be given the OL, they dont have te resources to. You are comparing China to USA and Canada, which is two countries who are both very “rich”, which china is not.

Flag Post

Does that mean you are paid to hate China?

You guys say the Olympics are too politicized and try to defend the “true spirit of the Olympics”, yet call for China not to be host for an entirely political reason.But in my mind, the Olympics is both a meeting of athletes and, whether it was intended or not, a powerful political forum. The Olympics is a huge amount of publicity, and no country wants to look bad when they host. I have to agree that China has many problems, from economic inequality, air/water pollution, information censorship, and the whole Tibet thing. But the fact that China is now squarely in the world’s eye forces the Chinese government to actually address these issues that have been pushed aside for so long.

Flag Post

Yeti: What i was trying to say is that i dont think China should be given the OL, they dont have te resources to. You are comparing China to USA and Canada, which is two countries who are both very “rich”, which china is not.

The Olympic Committee determined China is fit for the Olympics, and I think they are more eligible to make the decision than you, who probably has never been to China.

I am an individual of sound mind and free will. No country can pay me enough money in the world to sway my opinion of it. There are certain points of China that require some criticism, such as how foreign countries managed to build so many chemical plants near water ways within China, which released toxins into the rivers. Chinese officials really should look into enforcing quality control on all products leaving China, and tightening safety regulations on such chemical/production plants and factories. These are things that are worth criticism. Not some international issue in which no one else is contributing constructively, by individuals who are poorly informed.

How much you know about an issue, and what you know about it shows how much you rely on your media to bring in your knowledge. For some people, this is a spoonfeeding of complete reliance.

Flag Post

I completly suport the china olympics. everyones just jealouse. also some of you guys are brainwashed by western media. what they are doing is propoganda and some big western media companies already admit fault. Montreal gazette, CNN have posted wrong info against china and they admited it. =/

Flag Post

You’re funny. :) USA is incapable at stopping the war in Darfur, neither is France, Britain, Germany, and in fact any other country in UN. Yet China gets the hammer? Did they draw straws and China got the short one? Let’s take a look at facts. 1. The conflict in Darfur, while being ethnic and tribal in nature, was triggered by economical/ecological reasons. Global warming was said to be part of the reason that caused the drought, which was the main trigger. Here’s a link. It will explain the situation. 2. China was criticized for influencing the sanctions placed on Darfur. Now you must ask yourself, how does limiting trade with a country that is fighting because of the limited amounts of life-sustaining resources help the situation? The answer is pretty simple. It doesn’t. Here’s the article behind part of the reason why China did it. 3. China was also criticized for the military trades with Darfur. The $100M arms deal was not unnoticed by the world. But compare that to the US military bases that are now in the region in Africa. China was said to be interested in oil, but it seems that US is the leading export of oil from Africa. Here’s the link. 4. Quoted from wikipedia, look there for sources please. “On the opposite side of the issue, publicity given to the Darfur conflict has been criticized in some segments of the Arab media as exaggerated. Statements to this effect take the view that “the (Israeli) lobby prevents any in-depth discussion and diverts the attention from the crimes committed every day in Palestine and Iraq.”51…”

Exactly what I am saying. China is NOT the only factor that is causing the Darfur conflict, so the Olympics should not be used as a platform to criticize China. However, that is what is happening right now. In addition, China has not done any significant actions to decrease pollution and all, how can athletes compete safely?

Flag Post

The Olympics have lost the ‘spirit of sport’ a long time ago… The question is would more money be lost if the Olympics TAKE place in China or not.

Flag Post

Well yzysg, to look at this objectively, we look from the standpoint of Steven Spielberg. I believe this is his first time being the artistic director of an Olympic Games. He is an US citizen, the country who is placing various trade sanctions on Darfur, yet US oil companies are still highly involved, as are US natural gas companies. From his position, to criticize China would be kind of shooting himself in the foot. What is happening right now, around the world, is more than just Darfur. There’s the Haiti conflict, the Belgium political dissolution, the Brasil instability, the war on Iraq, religion conflicts between Islamic faith and Catholic faith due to the recent baptism of a Muslim journalist (if I get this wrong, do excuse me, I am not completely 100% of the religious side of the journalist), etc. What is happening right now is all around the Globe, but you criticize one country. To be honest, I am sure that the pollution will not affect the athletes in the least, since they would have shut down all pollution-causing structures in the area. Anything outside is a different story. If pollution is the main focus, then it should not be linked to the Olympics.

Flag Post

I see your point Tipthejester.

But again, i feel i have my right to criticize China.

I think that alot of what their goverment do is wrong, they are letting way too many western moneymen build factories and abuse cheap labour. I see that the OL will give them a financial boost, but is it the right way to do it anyway?

Flag Post

I think that alot of what their goverment do is wrong, they are letting way too many western moneymen build factories and abuse cheap labour. I see that the OL will give them a financial boost, but is it the tight way to do it anyway?

There’s the argument that a job is lost every time a job gets offshored. But it is a reality that globalization is affecting the international economy, with things such as factories or IT call centers no longer confined to a certain country’s borders. And in this case, the Chinese government is definitely not hurting their own people. If they didn’t let “western moneymen” build their factories in China and “abuse” cheap labor, there would be millions of lost jobs.

And what do you mean with that last question? It’s like you asked yourself a question, but didn’t answer it. Yes, host cities hope that the Olympics will 1. make money and/or 2. create positive publicity that will lead to increased tourism, better reputation, and whatnot. This is because preparing for and hosting the Olympics is a very expensive affair. But the main purpose of the Games is not to improve their economy. Its a place to host an international athletics competition.

To be honest, I am sure that the pollution will not affect the athletes in the least, since they would have shut down all pollution-causing structures in the area. Anything outside is a different story. If pollution is the main focus, then it should not be linked to the Olympics.

I think you’d agree that pollution is a serious problem in China, so I think it’s silly that you could say it will not affect the athlete’s in any way. A marathon runner, for instance, will be breathing that pollution for more than two hours, and being irritated by air contaminants will probably affect their performance. Of all the issues, I think pollution is actually one that is relevant to the Olympics, since that is the air that the athletes have to breathe. But with only a few months to go till August 8, it is already too late to swap cities or something ridiculous like that. I only hope that the experience will spur China to implement real measures to curb air and water pollution.

Flag Post

I feel bad for all the athletics that have worked so hard… and might not be able to join because of politics… it’s a real shame. This should be the one place to put world problems on the side. And just have fun and compete.

Flag Post

Im sorry it was a typeo its supposed to be “right way to do it”

And no i dont think its a shame to shut down factories at the cost of labour for poor ppl in china. Because its only a very small amount of the money that actually goes to the common worker.
I know that globalization is good for the world economic, but in a bad way. Its creating a bigger difference between poor and rich, it might be a noble thought to make a lot of jobs, but its crappy, underpayed and sometimes dangerus jobs.

Flag Post

I disagree with many of the political and social policies of China, but that doesn’t mean that countries should boycott the Olympics because of it. Perhaps they are not handing the Tibet riots as well as they could – let the riots be their own topic. As much as I don’t like China, I have to agree that there is nothing wrong with hosting the Olympics there.

Flag Post

Yeah Holly11, some athletes trained all 4 years, in the prime of their lives, and to have it curbed because of politics? That’s really a shame. They might never be in that top shape ever again. How many ’4 years" does a person have in their prime? Not too many.

Rastiln, we share the same avatar! But I think mine is cooler :p

Flag Post

In reply to the original poster. The Olympics have always been riddled with politics. 1936, Jesse Owens being one of the more famous (or infamous ) political points. Munich 1976 disaster. The boycott by USA because of Russia’s war with Afghanistan, then 1984 with Russia boycotting Los Angeles.

This thing that is happening with Tibet will continue to grow,as neither USA or UK will step in. Brown and Bush will talk about it, but there is no profit to be made from saving them. After all, if Tibet was full of oil fields, they would be in there already.

Flag Post

Hmm… Personally, I don’t think that China or GB should have got the Olympics. But that’s a different question…

The problems in Tibet are serious, and need to be fixed. Sadly, nobody is going to fix them.