What's the last book you've read? page 18

586 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by toward_eternity:

I’m currently ready “Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers” and “Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment.” Both are very interesting.

Are you a medical or biology major?

Flag Post

sorry to bump this once more, but I just love this thread.

last thing I read was “Of the standard of taste” by David Hume, which is an essay that deconstructs the idea that one’s taste cannot be debated. pretty good read and holds a very compelling argument, one of the few reads I’ve done in the past couple of years that almost completely changed my perspective on a specific subject.

Flag Post

Happy to have you bump it. I always forget about it when it’s not on the page.

The last I finished was Count Zero, by William Gibson. Who is always a delight. Vintage scifi prophetism, deftly wielding current and future corporate problems with a splash of the virtual as the new world – locus for the melting of previous cultures.

Still chewing through Dr. Strange Essential’s vol 4. Gibson’s Mona Lisa Overdrive. Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus.

I should look into that Hume.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

Happy to have you bump it. I always forget about it when it’s not on the page.

The last I finished was Count Zero, by William Gibson. Who is always a delight. Vintage scifi prophetism, deftly wielding current and future corporate problems with a splash of the virtual as the new world – locus for the melting of previous cultures.

Still chewing through Dr. Strange Essential’s vol 4. Gibson’s Mona Lisa Overdrive. Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus.

I should look into that Hume.

I’ve already read both William Gibson’s books you mentioned, amazing reads, especially if you realize how vintage it actually is.

do look into the essay, by the way, it’s short and you won’t regret it.

Flag Post

This:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15983708-beyond-belief

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

The last book I’ve read was Pet Semetery Written by Stephen king. It is a book of much excellence. It kept me very entertained All the way through. It does not have any flaws in my opinion. If I could only read one more book for the rest of my life, It would be Pet Sematary.

Flag Post

Last book I read was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I loved the entire series and can’t come up with words to describe how much I loved it.

Flag Post

Goosebumps

Flag Post

The last book i read was Narnia about 3 years ago when i was 11.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Roki123:

The last book i read was Narnia about 3 years ago when i was 11.

Just to be anal…Narnia isn’t a book.

My last and current book was/is “The Opium War: Drugs, Dreams and the Making of China”

Flag Post

For school: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, written by Himself

For pleasure: The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings, written by Brandon Sanderson

Flag Post

Well, I just finished ‘The Sister’s Grimm’ by Michael Buckley… Couldn’t not finish it after starting it at the end of my student teaching. Now, though, I’m reading ‘Die Trying’ by Lee Child (Jack Reacher novels).

Unless you count me flipping through the ‘Books of Skyrim’ … :)

Flag Post

The World According to Clarkson vol. 2, a collection of Jeremy Clarkson’s observations on the insanity of the world around us. Sometimes serious, sometimes witty, but always deliciously politically incorrect. He’s a national treasure, absolutely priceless.

Flag Post

Ender’s Game. Took forever to find.

Flag Post

I’m currently reading Tuck Everlasting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Natamora:

Well, I just finished ‘The Sister’s Grimm’ by Michael Buckley… Couldn’t not finish it after starting it at the end of my student teaching. Now, though, I’m reading ‘Die Trying’ by Lee Child (Jack Reacher novels).

Unless you count me flipping through the ‘Books of Skyrim’ … :)

The whole lot of Jack Reacher novels are excellent, imo… and can’t wait for the next to come out here :) Currently reading ‘Mary, Mary’ (Patterson)

Flag Post

I just finished reading “The Elephant Tree”

Flag Post

Chronic Pain and Addiction edited by M. Clark and G. Treisman.
A bit out of the range of my normal faire, but worrying will only take you so far. Felt it was high time I understood more of the interplay between incurable chronic pain, and the tendency of many sufferers to slip into a whirlpool of drug addiction.

Flag Post

I read a book called pinguins stopped play.

Written by an english guy called Harry Thompson (worked for the BBC), simply about his passion for cricket. He simply goes around the world, wanting to play cricket on all continents, starts his own team, and alot more. even though I didn’t understand much about cricket, it is a great comic book to read, and it has taught me more about cricket.

A book that is still on my wishlist, is the book of Sun Tzu, called the art of war.

Flag Post

Trolling isn’t just for the internet:

For those who love to hate Dan Brown

Flag Post

It’s amazing (and sad) that some people haven’t read an entire chapter book in their life.

Flag Post

It’s lulzy that some people seriously call novels ‘chapter books’. I so hope you’re still in primary school.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

It’s lulzy that some people seriously call novels ‘chapter books’. I so hope you’re still in primary school.

My daughter (11) calls them chapter books; that’s the usual terminology when you’re in elementary school. And on that note—how the hell could you get to be an adult without making your way through a reading book? She has to test on (reading) books of her choice for AR (Accelerated Reader) on a regular basis to even get out of primary school.

Flag Post

Kindly Inquisitors by Jonathan Rauch (the tolerating the intolerant thread prompted me to reread it). Really terrific little book about free speech if you’re into that sort of thing.

Trolling isn’t just for the internet:

For those who love to hate Dan Brown

Literary critics need to go away.