What's the last book you've read? page 20

586 posts

Flag Post

Started reading The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, today. This one is going to take a little while (750 pages + reading philosophical analyses).

Originally posted by AbusedZebra:

On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

That book was an extreme pain to read. His prose is somewhat difficult (though nothing compares to philosophers such as Immanuel Kant) and the technical terms are abundant.

Flag Post

hooray for awesome ultra control.

doesnt quite mention what would happen in case of famine though.

Flag Post

Harry Potter: The Sorcerer’s Stone
I’ve just started to get into the Harry Potter series, I’ve finished the first book and am now reading the second.

Flag Post
Started reading The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, today. This one is going to take a little while (750 pages + reading philosophical analyses).

It’s worth the time – quite an excellent read (as every Dostoyevsky is [my all-time favorite author, edging Tolstoy by a hair]).

Just wrapping up Kill Everyone. It’s probably my favorite MTT book I’ve ever read if you’re into that sort of thing.

Flag Post

Silence, by Shusaku Endo, was my last book. It was strange, but a worthwhile read.

Currently, I’m reading Blood Meridian. It’s my third Cormac McCarthy book.

Flag Post

Just finished the last Sookie Stackhouse novel Dead Forever After by Charliane Harris. Was not happy with the end though.

Flag Post

Just finished reading The Giver by Lois Lowry.

Flag Post

That is an easy question and i will be glad to answer that. That last book i’ve read was “Please stop laughing at me,” By Jodee Blanco. It basically starts out with a person. And other people. The people were laughing at her so hysterically, that young Jodee Blanco couldn’t take it anymore. Therefore, she stoop up from her moping and said to them all: “Please. Stop laughing at me.” Then they stopped laughing. The moral of the story is to use your words.

Haha. Just kidding. That’s not actually what happened.

Here’s the real story, it happened in real life. It was about a girl who always did the right thing but was constantly tormented and bullied by everyone around her. She was bullied so much that you couldn’t believe what actually happened to her. By the end of the story, it shows her having a class reunion with all her high school students who bullied her and attacked her. She then got over her fear and anxiety of them because as adults, and meeting them in a new way in the adult world, she overcame those who bullied her. You can look her up on youtube and listen to her very inspirational speeches that she gives to schools all around America to help stop bullying. Because it can hurt people.

Flag Post

Prince of thorns. Turned out to be one of my favourites.

Flag Post

Hunger Games.

Flag Post

the last book I read that wasn’t assigned in school was The Hobbit. currently reading some random animorphs book.

Flag Post
Originally posted by samuro2:

Here’s the real story, it happened in real life. It was about a girl who always did the right thing but was constantly tormented and bullied by everyone around her. She was bullied so much that you couldn’t believe what actually happened to her. By the end of the story, it shows her having a class reunion with all her high school students who bullied her and attacked her. She then got over her fear and anxiety of them because as adults, and meeting them in a new way in the adult world, she overcame those who bullied her.

Oh, yeah, that story

Flag Post

The last book i read was the Beyonders book 1 and it was amazing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by generalvalter:

I’m hoping to get my hands on SuperFreakonomics at some point. Dubner and Levitt are fun economists.

Can’t wait to have my mind blown again

Flag Post

Just started Les Misérables. Find it enjoyable.

Flag Post

A 1,000 page Archie comic book.

Flag Post

Pet Semetary

Flag Post

Last book I have read was Brave New World, current book is 1984

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Last book I have read was Brave New World, current book is 1984

On a Dystopian roll?

Flag Post

50 shades of grey

before that i read the lusty argonian maid vol 1

Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

50 shades of grey

before that i read the lusty argonian maid vol 1

Next up…Lady Chatterley’s Lover?

Flag Post

“The heart of Buddha’s teaching” by Thich Nhat Hanh.

it’s been a tough time in my life and some elements from this book helped me go through it with more ease.

Flag Post

Game of Thrones – working my way through the box set :)

Flag Post

Apocalyptic AI: Visions of Heaven in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Virtual Reality.

For some strange reason, the book really, really appeals to me. It could well be something to do with my own views and its’ being convergent, and it being smack-bang in the middle of my interest area. Only published at the end of last year, I’m not finished yet, but it offers some really thought-provoking insights onto where we’re heading as a species and as a civilisation.

I’ll include an excerpt from the introduction to give you an overview of what the book is about:

Apocalyptic AI authors promise that intelligent machines—our “mind children,” according to Moravec—will create a paradise for humanity in the short term but, in the long term, human beings will need to upload their minds into machine bodies in order to remain a viable life-form. The world of the future will be a transcendent digital world; mere human beings will not fit in. In order to join our mind children in life everlasting, we will upload our conscious minds into robots and computers, which will provide us with the limitless computational power and effective immortality that Apocalyptic AI advocates believe make robot life better than human life.

Flag Post

I could picture you liking that. Have you ever read the book version of I, Robot ?