What's the last book you've read? page 22

586 posts

Flag Post

Just finished Room. Interesting.

Flag Post

Read the Fault in Our Stars a few days ago. Going to start In the Lake of The Woods soon.

Flag Post

I just finished reading Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets, by Nassim N. Taleb.

Now I’m between reading the two volumes of Open Society and its Enemies, by Karl Popper, and The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell. I’m leaning to the latter book, for the former considerably long. Though it’s beach reading in comparison to Das Kapital (Karl Marx), Summa Theologica (Thomas Aquinas), and In Search of Lost Time (Marcel Proust, unfinished).

Flag Post

The Hungry Games:D

Flag Post

World War Z (on the train)… just started Dahl’s autobiography (part 1)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Just finished Room. Interesting.

This was one of the best books I ever read.

Last book I read this year was the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.

Flag Post

I ended up reading You Are Now Less Dumb, by David McRaney. I’ll start Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do? by Michael Sandel tomorrow!

Flag Post

Currently reading Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de bernieres. Same name as the nicholas cage movie a few years ago. I was surprised to find that, unlike the movie, the book doesn’t suck.

Flag Post

Perks of being a wallflower.

Why do nice people choose to be with wrong people?
We accept the love we think he deserve.

Flag Post

facebook

Flag Post
Originally posted by crossbower97:

This was one of the best books I ever read.

So you know what it is? I picked it up on a whim at Barnes and Noble. I understand what the author was trying to do in a first person, Huck Finn kind of way, but the child talk for the first several pages or so just drove me up a wall.

Flag Post

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Flag Post

The Bourne Dominion

I was curious to see how the books fared against the movies

I haven’t watched the movies yet so …

Flag Post

Just finished reading The Crucible.

Flag Post

Almost finished reading the first Dragonlance book.

Flag Post

Last book I read was “The End of History and the Last Man” by Francis Fukuyama. Almost finished “Brothers Karamazov” by Dostoyevsky. Highly recommend both.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Stots:

Last book I read was “The End of History and the Last Man” by Francis Fukuyama. Almost finished “Brothers Karamazov” by Dostoyevsky. Highly recommend both.

I knew a guy practically obsessed with Brothers K…not too many reading fukiyama anymore though lol.

Reading Nazneen Sheikh’s Tea and Pomegranates, basically a short kashmiri cookbook.

Flag Post

Just finished reading 1984. Me being my somewhat conspiracy theorist self, I enjoyed the book and noticed similarities between events in the past few decades and the contents of the book. Although, it’s not like I’m one of those people who are panicking that the internet and its butchering of languages is some form of conspiracy or another that will bring on Newspeak and the destruction of language and, somewhat laughably, independent thought. Unfortunately, I felt that the ending was somewhat rushed, what with the sudden timeskips and unpredictable and rapid change of scenes. I also wanted the Manifesto to be longer than it was. It was one of the best parts of the book.

Flag Post

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. Amazing book as Stots also stated.

Flag Post

I’m having a blast reading Michael Shermer’s book: Why People Believe Weird Things.

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.

Hated that one. :/

Flag Post
Hated that one. :/

I actually liked it. It’s a matter of perspective I guess. Do you not like Dostoyevsky’s work in general or did you not just like that particular one?

And to stay on topic, Friedrich Nietzsche’s “Thus Spoke Zarathustra”.

Flag Post

I’m currently re-reading The Collector by John Fowles. I’m also reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman but it’s rather hard to find time to read at the moment due to school work and other things that I am working on. I’m hoping to finish sometime in the next two weeks but I probably won’t have anything done until after a conference that I’m doing two panels in is over.

Flag Post

I am currently reading Mayan and Aztec mythology by Michael A Schuman. It’s quite interesting but Norse mythology is by far the best. I don’t understand the hype with Greek mythology. It’s nowhere near as interesting.

Flag Post

I’ve started so many books in the past few months, but haven’t finished any of them since I’ve been busy reading for school! I’m really enjoying “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller though!

Flag Post

Richard Feynman’s Six Easy Pieces, which expounds on some of the fundamental underlying ideas, principles and tenets in the domain of physics, lecturing on Gravitational Potential Energy (the conservation of mass and energy) to quantum behavior in the double-slit experiment. Quite a fascinating read for the general public of lay enthusiasts; relatively simple material to get through explained in everyday language, without the obscurantism of jargon or nomenclature. Would recommend.