PETA...idiots or geniuses?

65 posts

Flag Post

PETA is, of course, completely made up of either insane people or people kept in the dark about the going-ons of PETA.
The members of PETA want to end animal-testing which would lower the quality of life and average life-expectancy in industrialized nations greatly. A little known fact is that they also oppose pets. Sorry all you pet owning PETA supporters, they don’t care about you!
Another of PETA’s goals is to give animals equal rights. If they were granted this, they would all be in prison within 72 hours.
Thoughts?

Flag Post

I’ve seen a few things on PETA, there basic thing what they stand for is good, and the original creators didn’t mean for this to happen. It just got out of hand and taken way too far. They lost sight of there goals and now they are just an angry mob shouting incoherent logic babble. Theres lots of other better alternatives for animal cruelty organizations.

Flag Post

A little known fact is that they also oppose pets. Sorry all you pet owning PETA supporters, they don’t care about you!

What, so they want us to leave animals on the streets for them to get run over or killed? That’s pretty weird coming from an organization that cares about animal rights…

Flag Post

I think that that PETA was good untill it became all freaky, i believe that we should first help inprove human life before we go to another species. Yes somethings done to animals are wrong and should be stopped like fur coats and junk, but other things that we take advantage of must be done.

Flag Post

I stand by a lot of what PETA does, but agree that some crazies definitely got into the organization. As for the pets thing, they believe that animals should be free, not caged, or “owned”.
But they still have done some wonderful things for animals rights.

Flag Post

Peta is, in my view, inherently hypocritical. They euthanize the majority of the animals given to them; to me, this seems to be completely against their stated goals.

Flag Post

Yeah – I saw an episode of Penn & Teller’s Bullshit about PETA. It was pretty scary, and supports exactly what Einar just said. They keep a giant freezer used to “humanely” kill tons and tons of animals.

Flag Post

Yep, Bullshit! is why I knew to look that up.

Basically Peta sucks and you shouldn’t donate money or animals.

Flag Post

Well, we all know that animals like cats are better off living on their own in alleys than ‘caged’ in comfortable human houses with free food! Er, wait…

Flag Post

Hey, that’s their belief, definitely not mine! That’s where I think they go too far. I love animals and think they can make wonderful pets and when given what they need to live, be loved, and have fun, it’s a great experience for all.
I am highly against euthanasia and have taken in pets simply so they wouldn’t be put down until I found a home for them. (a bit of being foster parent I guess) And I also have two cats.
I will say, this thread has made me look into PETA a bit more.
My only involvement with them was supporting them getting PetCo to stop selling small animals, an issue I agreed with them on, but I was not aware of the euthanasia they do. Now I will look through my TiVo for that episode of bullshit.

Flag Post

Yeah, I think many pets love being our pets just as much as we love having them. Sometimes more :)

Flag Post

Of course they do!

Now I am actually rethinking my stance even on the PetCo situation. Is it better to be a malnourished disease ridden animal, or dead? The problem with PetCo is that the small animals they were selling (rabbits, ferrets, etc) were not being properly cared for. PETA had done investigations and I had also read stories from PetCo employees that they did not take care of the animals well, they didn’t want to pay for medication, shots, etc, they would clean the cages infrequently, etc. Better off dead though? I don’t know. What happens to the animals when removed from PetCo? Something I never looked into and now feel naive a bit for supporting their move.
I got a bunny early last year because a friend was sitting for a friend and the little thing was basically abandoned. My friend was going to take her to a shelter because she didn’t want her, so we decided to take her in. She was purchased originally from PetCo, and they told the original buyer that it was a girl with no problems.
Finding out she was bought from PetCo, I immediately took her to the vet. There I found out my “baby girl” was actually a boy who was infested with ear ticks. Based on Bunny’s age and the blood deep inside the ear, they could tell he was like this for some time, and was most likely purchased like that.
We kept him for 6 months and spoiled him rotten until we found a good home for him. His place wasn’t with me since I work too much and he didn’t get as much exercise as he should have. But I would encourage anyone who truly wants to help, is to contact your local shelters and find out about fostering animals. It’s one thing that helps prevent the over population in our shelters and keeps them as no-kill places.

Flag Post

Conditions and hope for change have to be pretty bleak to be better off dead, so I think even if things aren’t perfect at least they have the chance to go to homes, instead of getting put to sleep. Is that what they were suggesting as the alternative? Take them away from PetCo and put them down? If so, doesn’t seem cool. Though if PetCo is going to sell animals they really should take care of them; negligence like that really isn’t acceptable for a company such as them. It can be criminal.

Flag Post

I’m all for animal rights, don’t get me wrong, but PETA takes it way too far. Animals are not people, and are not equal to people. But like I said, don’t be cruel to animals, don’t torture them, and make sure you take care of them properly. Just don’t treat them as though they care that they aren’t free.

Flag Post

Neglect like that is criminal, is it not?

Flag Post

What always shocks me is extreme animal rights groups who are prepared to do physical harm to people who are involved in animal testing. This seems like complete hypocrisy; you’re taking away that person’s rights. People are animals too (or something). Also, they should be first in line for potentially deadly drugs tests, that haven’t been checked at all on animals.

Flag Post

Here is a page with some info on the Petno (PetCo: Where the pets go to die) campaign.

http://petno_petco.tripod.com/

It contains a lot of incidences of PetCo in the news for animal cruelty and charges have been pressed in many of the cases, so yes, the neglect is criminal.
In many cases (like mine with my rabbit) there is sometimes no proving that the illness in your pet was from PetCo. Most people do not take small animals, ferrets, birds, rabbits, etc, to the vet. I actually had to do an intense search for a vet in my area who would look at a “rodent” and had to drive 45 miles to the closest vet who would. So many times, the problems go unnoticed.
Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to share this.

ETA: “Incompatible animals fighting and literally eating each other alive, animals forced to live in cages with feces caked on so thick that it can’t be scraped off, and sick and injured animals denied veterinary care and placed in a freezer to die.”

Atleast PetCo and PETA can agree on the freezer killings.

Flag Post

Well where do we start. There is a whole lot of BS coming from this organization. They are the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Ethical treatment? I hope they never have a bird run into their car or they run over a bunny. oh and they have better not have pets because according to their leader by owning a pet means that the owner has put that animal into slavery. That includes fish, birds, cats, and dogs. Oh and you can’t ride our own horses, cows, chickens, etc. apparently PETA also feels that animals are the exact same as people. They feel that the holocaust is the same as what we do to animals. To all the Jews that might read this. Are you alright with your ancestors being the called same as a chicken by PETA? I definitely wouldn’t be ok with that. PETA supports the ALF. Those a-holes bomb research areas and other places that have used animals for testing. Did you know that most of the animals that are set free by the piece of crap (put very nicely) organization the ALF actually die because they don’t know how to fend for themselves in the outside world? If you were dying of cancer and there was a cure for your cancer but you had to kill a few mice in the process, would you? How about your grandma who is a diabetic? Are you going to tell her to stop taking insulin because it probably has animal products in it? Basically what I am trying to say is that I’m sick of this organization preaching about what we are doing wrong to animals when in reality the PETA organization and all of its members are some of the biggest hypocrites.

Flag Post

Shischkabob, they’re bigger hypocrites than you know.

One of the leading members of PETA is diabetic, and uses insulin, which was developed using animal testing. Her comment? “Using insulin is ok because I have to defend animals.”

Flag Post

l33t3r: i saw a penn and teller show on showtime about that…i thought it was pretty funny

Flag Post

I have come to the following conclusion: PETA, each of you should jump in a lake and drown while Alligators chomp you to bits and you burn in Heck for all eternity while being- (Technical Difficulties) Alright fine, I’ll shut up now! Summary, PETA is evil.

EDIT: Also, I take offense at my ancestor being called a chicken. Darned Anti-Semites.

Flag Post

Fostering animals is a great way to do your part. There’s always someone out there who will want to love a pet, and taking in animals until they find a new home is great. I’ve done it a couple of times in the past and it was a pretty enjoyable experience. Much better than letting the animals live their days in cages.

I am honestly not sure about my stance on putting down animals. In general I am against killing, but my family has put down one of our cats. When we had purchased the cat (then a kitten) years back, the previous owner did not inform us about all the health problems the cat actually had even though the owner had the paperwork, and basically gave us papers that weren’t true health reports. As years went on we stared noticing problems, which led to repeated trips to the vet. That poor cat was so sick, and it was eventually in so much pain that the list of problems was simply staggering. It would start making the most awful yowls, and it was apparent that it was in quite a bit of pain. We still tried to spoil her rotten, but after a certain point, we decided to put it down to put it out of its misery.

As much as I am against putting animals to sleep, I don’t know what better option there is if an animal is simply in too much pain and has problems beyond rectifying. The thought of euthanasia disgusts me and in general I feel that too many animals are put down for the wrong reasons.

Flag Post

Yeah, anyone who thinks animals are equal to humans have a few screws loose. Animals should be treated well and never abused, but not treated equally or greater than humans.

Flag Post

As a vegetarian I think they are terribly loud and misguided.

Flag Post

You know what, PETA should just colgate (hang themselves)