Free Koran.

20 posts

Flag Post

Dear Kongregate

As I know most of you live in America or the UK, your countries are locked in a religious war with the Middle East. They have declared to stop at nothing until the devil is destroyed. In this case, we’re the devil.
Before you say something stupid about how their religion sucks, maybe you should consider learning a bit about it before you blabber about your shenanigans. I’ve come to tell you how.
There is a website on the internet called www.freekoran.com that is willing to donate you a free Koran, helping you understand Islam. This way, you may find a religion that you would follow, or you might read it from a skeptical level and decide what you think of it. These are free books for you to use to learn.
I’m not trying to convert you. I am a Christian, but I would like to know about this religion. I would like to know why they will fight America and pals until there’s a loser and a winner. I think because we’re pretty much all living in a country at war, we should at least be able to talk about said war with some level of intelligence.

Request a Koran. Read it. Then maybe someone will take you seriously when you rant about The Middle East.

www.freekoran.com

Mods- If this is considered advertising, lock it. If this becomes a nasty flame war, lock it. Thanks.

P.S

Feel free to try it, I’m not trying in anyway to convert you as I said, just take some time to think about it. Thankyou.

-Anbhas

Flag Post

Spam? Not at all. I think it’d be a great idea for people to read up on the religion, just as most atheists should probably read the Bible at some point (I’m being slightly hypocritical here as I have yet to read the Bible in its entirety).

I’ve seen some reports that there’s some difficulty with some people having these delivered. You’re welcome to try it, but a faster/easier way would be to read it online. I quickly checked through a google search and this was one source for an online Qur’an: http://www.islam101.com/quran/yusufAli/.

If you want some different translations, you can go to USC’s site (http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/) and they have 3 translations (including the yusufAli one I linked above) all side-by-side.

Flag Post

Thanks for those links Phoenix. If you’re having trouble with delivery then I suggest using the links. But, yes it’s faster using those links, I’ve never known about them, so thanks again Phoenix.

-Anbhas

Flag Post

Our history class added a whole week course on what Islam believes during our Middle East section. It was really informative and opened my eyes to what life and religion are like there. I think that if more schools start to do this, the veil of lies America has wrapped over us will start to fade.

Flag Post

@ Nerdrock

I agree completly, schools need to be taught about this, it’s actually quite sad that we don’t learn about this. My RE (religious education) class doesn’t learn anything like this, at this moment we are learning about Life & Death, I’ve even suggested if we could learn about Islam and the Middle East.

Maybe one day, schools will be more interested in learning this. I know to many people who are extremly ignorant about people’s religions. Most of the replies I get from some simple questions are “It’s not my religion or it has nothing to do with me, why should I care?”
One of the reasons why this war started was because of ignorance.

Flag Post

I really do unagree with you guys, i think (maybe its just in my country) theres a very good understanding of other ppl’s religion. And i think that the western/middle east conflict is partly made up by leaders of the middle east, having an interrest in the public to be angry at the western countries instead of their own leaders.

Tbh, i think that the whole “we dont understand eachother” this is made up by someone with political motives.

Ohh.. and why are you saying we “blabber about your shenanigans” i dont know any islam critical posts on Kong. And those who say such things are only a very small part of our societies, as well as its only a very small part of islamic societies who are suicide bombers.

Flag Post

>Ohh.. and why are you saying we “blabber about your shenanigans” i dont know any islam critical posts on Kong.

I believe he was using the royal “you.” Not towards kongregate members in particular but for everyone. And while it may certainly be the case that you are all informed of other religions in Denmark, it certainly isn’t in the US (where I live). It’s also sadly a pretty large part of our society that denounces Islam and its followers and lumps them all into the extremist category. My country is extremely ill informed about certain things and this is one of them (IMO).

Flag Post

I’ve covered in R.E all the biggest religions in the world at the present time (islam, christanity, judaism ect) in detail. It could be up to a year on each religion. That covers the hole holy text of each one, there feastivals holidays ect. It also covers each religions part in the modern world (israil and palistian for judaism ect).

I live in england and 1/3 of my school is of the Islamic faith. When we discuss Iraq it’s a real debate. So I think I know all I need to know about said religion. And I still know what side i’m on.

Flag Post

I believe he was using the royal “you.” Not towards kongregate members in particular but for everyone. bq.

I see your point, but hes posting @ kogregate forums..

Flag Post

Spam? Not at all. I think it’d be a great idea for people to read up on the religion, just as most atheists should probably read the Bible at some point (I’m being slightly hypocritical here as I have yet to read the Bible in its entirety).

Oh I tried, I really did, but I got so bored my mind kept wandering off, I’d rather read a maths book…..the only way I’m ever getting through the entire bible, is if I have nothing at all to do, like… I go to prison.

Flag Post

LOL – sorry, that was pretty funny. Perhaps some sort of “Bible’s Greatest Hits” would be useful, eh? And really, much of the Bible either doesn’t apply (Leviticus) or is just kinda strange (Songs of Solomon??). I think primirily Genesis and perhaps the early books in the New Testament, along with Revelations, would give a good background. But I’m not Bible scholar – would anyone who knows the Bible well agree with that “Best Of” compilation?

Flag Post

There are bibles that cut down what is being said to a more modern understanding. Revelations is a very intresting read, as long as you imagen it as non-literal.

Flag Post

Why should atheists read the bible? and why the bible in particular?

An atheist doesn’t need to understand other belief systems in order to develop their own. Faith is the culmination of a persons knowledge and the conclusions an individual draws from it. No specific text will offer any greater insight than another.

I’d like to have the time to read the Koran.. well, at least attempt to.

Flag Post

arseiam – it depends on what you’re looking for. In general, as an educated person, it’d probably be a good idea to at least get a strong understanding of each religion, if not actually read their holy texts. However, specifically in the case of the Bible and much of the English-speaking world, the Bible has such a huge influence on people’s lives, art, culture, history, and even entertainment that having a good grasp of the Bible can increase your understanding of many of these things. Is it necessary for an atheist? Certainly not. I suppose I shouldn’t have singled them out, and should have simply said that most people in Western culture should probably read some of the noteworthy parts of the Bible just as basic education. We read Genesis in high school. It was not taught as fact, and was accompanied by other creation stories, and in no way did I (an agnostic) find it offensive to be reading the book. It was purely a text and part of education.

Flag Post

Interesting…. though I struggle to agree with referencing the bible in particular, after all, it only covers about a third of the world population. What about books like The I Ching, The Iliad, the Kabbalah, War and Peace or Einstein’s Relativity? Surely they have as much of a role to play in the shaping of an individuals knowledge and developing a context of their role in the broader world.

I’m probably being twatish and should get of my high horse. I guess what is most important is that people read… period. Most people barely get past glossy magazines and actually read anything with substance…. which is why we have threads written by people hoping that others will learn more about the Middle East. shrugs

I’m also agnostic though a more detailed definition would be secular humanist with anit-theist tendencies who believes in science and the fact that it is faliable enough to never prove or disprove the existence of god. :)

Flag Post

This is a common tactic used if you ever get a physical address of someone you don’t like. Send them at least 100 korans

Flag Post

arseiam – (btw, I just figured out what your name was…I’m slow today…) The reason I’d choose the Bible above all of those other books is because of its influence. No other book has influenced Western society (which most of us are in) more than the Bible. You’ll find quotes, references, parables, etc. all over the place, and without knowing the source material you miss a lot of these. Granted, I’m pulling a good bit of this argument from my philosophy professor who tried to talk me into taking an Intro to the Bible class at school (which I regretfully failed to do), so I can’t site a bunch of examples, though I’m pretty sure Shakespeare is loaded with Biblical influences.

Flag Post

wait, people really believe that the middle eastern are the devil? That’s sad. They need to get away from the computer more often.

But seriously, most of the people I know realize that most of the people there are people, and that only a small segment of the population are in the “fanatic” groups, where they are willing to kill themselves to kill people.

Flag Post

It’s not just people facing there computers.

Flag Post

I find it interesting when people point out how Islamic churches in the Middle East aren’t more active and public in condemning terrorist actions, as if it’s a sign that the teachings of the Koran somehow endorse flying planes into buildings.

I’m just waiting for Christian churches in America to unify around the message of condemning the war in Iraq, or around the threats of military action against Iran. Somehow I don’t see that happening, especially with how long it took the Catholic church to condemn the damn Holocaust.