Illusion of Time page 2

38 posts

Flag Post

Remember, these are all theories. The basis of a theory is that it is a suggestion of what happens, not what actually does. They are all guesses in a sense. We only go on the theory which sounds the best, the one that seems truer than the others- but be careful though. They may not be true because they are all a guess so choose on your theory wisely.

But more on the topic at hand- Time travel is one of my favorite aspects. Einstein’s theory of relativity suggests that it is possible to bend the space time continuum and travel back in time. I do not believe this is possible. Why? Well, here are a few reasons.

If you could travel back in time, or if the human race or any other future dominant species discovered how to time travel they would have came back into the past and it would have been recorded into our history books. People notice anything these days, and considering that nobody has come to what they consider to be the the past (which in turn would preferably be our duration of time on Earth at present) in all of the years that the human race has inhabited Earth, I highly doubt that in the future time travel will exist. Also, the fact you can travel back into time is outrageous anyway, if someone from the future hasn’t come yet and shown us what wonderful things have became of our wonderful race, or something else interesting about the future, then it pretty much tells us that time travel will never exist.

Plus, if you put into consideration that even remotely trying to realistically imagine how a time machine works is practically a technological nightmare, you will not only start to realise how it will never happen in the future, but also start to realise how ridiculous it sounds… There isn’t a known element or compound that has “time altering” effects, so how is it possible to create a time machine in the first place? Even so, we do not know a force other than an anomaly such as a black hole that can bend the space time continuum. And you couldn’t harness the power of a black hole because it will suck you up and remove you from existence as soon as you would try. So how can you create a time machine in the first place?

And another thing. Time travel also suggests that there are seperate time placements, which I very highly doubt because if there were then people may not be travelling through time at all, the could just be “jumping” from different placements. I really really doubt this, because nobody has come from the future, or from alternately so called: “time placements”. So there’s another theory that time travel is impossible.

Regardless. This is a theory, just like newtons theory of gravity, or Hawking’s theory of black holes. If Einstein is correct, yes you can bend the space time continuum but no race on Earth will ever be able to do it, and only anomalys which shouldn’t be there in the first place can perform time travel. If the future is set to invent a time machine we’d have future visitors every five seconds. Which obviously has never happened. Of course this in itself is a theory. You don’t have to believe it, but like every other theory, please take it into consideration.

Well, now you’ve heard me go on and on and on about this subject, I’ll be looking forward to hearing people responses. Thanks for reading, and leave me a shout it you have any Q’s. Cheers! :D

Flag Post

Where not discussing time travel…

Flag Post

Billy, if you had read the thread, you would know that it does relate to the topic.

Flag Post

But more on the topic at hand- Time travel is one of my favorite aspects. Einstein’s theory of relativity suggests that it is possible to bend the space time continuum and travel back in time. I do not believe this is possible. Why? Well, here are a few reasons.

I hope not to bore you, but I would like to reference a transformation in Einstein’s theory of special relativity:

t= t’/(1-(v ^ 2)/(c ^ 2))

Where t and t’ is time in different reference frames, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

Write that down if it helps you visualize what I’m about to point out (I’m pretty sure I got it down right). Now, the only way to have a relatively negative advancement of time is to have a relative speed of higher than the speed of light. Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism (if I am right) says nothing can travel faster than the speed of light… so I don’t see how Einstein would confirm time travel.

Perhaps you are thinking about instant teleportation via wormholes (which are extremely hypothetical) which would not break the careful symmetries in relativity. This is possible, but highly unlikely given the current model of physics.

I agree with most of the paradoxes you wrote down, but there are a few theories which can combat this (and I’m not sure of their credibility, just heard them):

- All matter travels through time, meaning that right now, matter is no longer in the past, it exists here, and if you were to travel into the past, you would meet an infinite (or finite but unbounded) void :-)

- Time “branches” when contradictions are made

- Our very existence is consequence of time travelling

Just stuff to think about :-)

Flag Post

Well, it can really be thought of as a way to describe the starting of cycles and their continuation.

Flag Post

I do understand, yes. However I’m very sure that Einstein stated that one of his theories (not too sure were talking of the same one…) suggests it is possible to “bend the space time continuum and allow time travel”. How, I can’t quite recall but I am sure that’s what he stated. But other than that, I think I have proved time travel is impossible in many aspects. What do you draw out of all of this? I think it’s a pretty fair argument. You?

Flag Post

mxmm, if I recall correctly, the speed of light was actually more like a barrier than something nothing can go faster. In other words, there could be, in theory, particles that move faster than light, but cannot actually ever go SLOWER than light. I can’t remember where I read it, so it is sketchy.

Flag Post

Well I can understand why you quoted: “Time “branches” when contradictions are made” but I don’t get the first one you put: “All matter travels through time, meaning that right now, matter is no longer in the past, it exists here, and if you were to travel into the past, you would meet an infinite (or finite but unbounded) void”. Surely that is evidence to back up the fact time travel is impossible? It even makes the description of black holes more reasonable, which are anomalys which bend/alter the space time continuum. Furthermore, I think that the third theory: “Our very existence is consequence of time travelling” Is a theory I have always thought sounded like a very *un*theoretical suggestion that has had no real thought put behind it before it was realesed to the public. It is a very unknown factor, and I think we really need to think about it… Technically it contradicts my argument that time travel is impossible for us because it is sort of saying that time travel is possible for us in a way, and I have proved it wrong. Other than that, It was a great argument put through. :D

Flag Post

Hmm… I beleive I forgot something.

Oh yeah!

Welcome to the SD forum, Maglor. Have fun here, you seem like you will be really active, and more people just makes things more fun.

PS: I realize that the cliche “The more the merrier” would have been easier to type. Of course, I am the same person typing this P.S…Uh…. Yeah… Forget it.

Flag Post

Thanks milskidasith. I’ll add you as a freind, you seem freindly enough! :D

Flag Post

Anyways. What you were saying about the speed of light being more like a barrier is partly true- it’s more of a limitation than a barrier. Obviously, you’ve heard the famous equation:

E=MC2.

Well, that is what you were explaining. To put it more simply, E is Energy, M is Mass and C is the speed of light. So, E=MC2 is Energy is the same as Mass and The speed of light Squared. In a nutshell, this means that as you gain speed, you have to add more and more energy. This increases your mass and the faster you go, the heavier you get, which in effect makes the energy input rise more and more.

This also explains that light, is infinite mass (an anomaly) and is the limitation to speed because it is infinite energy, it can travel ridiculously fast. This also proves that it is impossible to travel that speed because you would use up every peice of energy in the universe (which we do not know if it is finite or infinite). You cannot use infinite energy. You would have to use up infinite energy in the universe which is impossible, so if anything the “actual” Limitation is just before you acheive the speed of light. But we say the limit is the speed of light which is considered easier.

“But what does this have to do with time!?” You scream at me in anxiety. Well, It is said that it is only possible to time travel by achieveing the speed of light. Which is impossible according to this theory. However, I heard somewhere that You don’t need to travel the speed of light to acheive time, you can achieve it by travelling less, so I don’t know where that leaves you.

Flag Post

If you could travel back in time, or if the human race or any other future dominant species discovered how to time travel they would have came back into the past and it would have been recorded into our history books. People notice anything these days, and considering that nobody has come to what they consider to be the the past (which in turn would preferably be our duration of time on Earth at present) in all of the years that the human race has inhabited Earth, I highly doubt that in the future time travel will exist.

Well first, if we were so advanced to time travel, we would be advanced enough to perhaps be invisible and hide, thats plausible right?

if someone from the future hasn’t come yet and shown us what wonderful things have became of our wonderful race, or something else interesting about the future, then it pretty much tells us that time travel will never exist.

Why would they risk potentially altering time itself, by telling us what happens in the future could perhaps destroy it.

Or

What if you bring parallel universes into it. Billions of exact universes, that if you went back in time, it branches out a new one for you and you alone. So hence in this universe, no where never going too see a time traveler but if you go back in time, you get a new one created for you.

So how can you create a time machine in the first place?

And thats where we come back to square one these days :D

Flag Post

I do understand, yes. However I’m very sure that Einstein stated that one of his theories (not too sure were talking of the same one…) suggests it is possible to “bend the space time continuum and allow time travel”. How, I can’t quite recall but I am sure that’s what he stated. But other than that, I think I have proved time travel is impossible in many aspects. What do you draw out of all of this? I think it’s a pretty fair argument. You?

Perhaps what you heard had something to do with time in black holes? (I haven’t researched this, so it’s possible it has passed me by)

If so, even a more interesting question is posed: Does thermodynamic time flow backwards (that is, from more entropy to less entropy) inside of a black hole’s event horizon?