Are we liable

21 posts

Flag Post

I just got a $1600 bill for the internet…

Well, I moved outta home and my mum rang up and canceled the internet but she said she didn’t know if I was coming back. So they said they’ll put it on hold, but apparently what we didn’t know is they just took away the monthly payment and put it on pay $1.50 or so per mb.

Then I used the internet at my new house for a few days before we got our new internet without knowing it was like that.

It sucks so much, do you think we will have to pay because my mum was misinformed? shes writing a complaint letter now.

Flag Post

You will have to pay, we were screwed out of $800 from a cable provider. Things like this happen, companies don’t care about you. Only your money. Pay them and switch internet providers. My advice probably sucks I have no idea what I am talking about.

Flag Post

Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen with personal experience, the company will just throw the letter away and demand payment. I’d figure that unless they had any record of you saying that you DID NOT want that plan, they can easily charge you for it. On the contrary, I’m sure you would like something that says that you DID sign up for the service. Unfortunately, The United States of America Australia (I hope for the sake of correctness, but not actuallity) is in favor of business as opposed to the individual, so I hate to say it, but you’re screwed.

Flag Post

Who would knowingly pay $1.50 per mb? That’s robbery. I think that this entire plan was set up with the sole purpose of screwing people the exact same way they screwed you. They’re probably experts on ignoring complaints and forcing people to pay by now.

Flag Post

Greg’s right, they just set these plans up for 2 people:

1. The people who are ignorant to the fact that 1MB is nothing.

2. The people who try canceling a plan.

It really is a horrible rate at $1.50/MB.

If you don’t mind me asking, who is your service provider?

Flag Post

I was afraid you’s were gonna say that :( Arghh this is something that I can’t afford, I wonder how long I can delay paying it to them.

I’m with Bigpond.

and I live in Australia, not that it makes a difference, any business in any country will screw you as you’s have said.

but I’ms till gonna try. Lots of complaining! hah. I’ll keep you’s posted how my futile attempts go… sweet, there goes my food money. No big deal.

Flag Post

I think you should take this to the media. The media owns the world. Just submit the story to your local newspaper and news station, and if it is published or broadcasted, it may cause the company to back down.

Flag Post

but I’ms till gonna try. Lots of complaining!

Good luck Eggy! Show those bastards who’s boss!

In all reality, if your mom agreed to it you’re screwed(even more so if she signed a contract. Unless Australia has some type of consumer protection law that you can use AKA threaten law suit with, then you might be able to do something.

Flag Post

Back in the dial up days I ran a $400 bill by dialing into AOL with a phone number that was in Princeton, less than 20 minutes away from here, but I guess it was long distance. Whoops.

Had to pay it. Utilities companies know that they control what you need, and theres very rarely a way to get around that fact.

Flag Post

You could try convincing them that your computer was infected with a virus that allowed an attacker to turn it into a fileserver.

I used to get bandwidth warnings from Cogeco and I’d always claim I had some wacky nonexistent virus and they always apologized, offered advice, and left me alone.

Flag Post

Did you get any paperwork to the effect of “you’re now paying $1.50/Mb”? ‘cuz if they just said "we’ll put your account on hold for now" and nothing else, you could argue that you didn’t know there was a per Mb charge, and thus aren’t liable because they failed to inform you of this change in the contract.

Flag Post

You could try convincing them that your computer was infected with a virus that allowed an attacker to turn it into a fileserver.

You’re like those people who spam chat and try to get out of being banned by saying that their little brother was at the keyboard, aren’t you?

Flag Post

we’ll put your account on hold for now” and nothing else, you could argue that you didn’t know there was a per Mb charge, and thus aren’t liable because they failed to inform you of this change in the contract.

Yeah thats all they said, yeah we’re gonna try argue that they misinformed us by not telling us that.

Flag Post

Just pay it, Or show them proof that you did not sign the plan.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bobneson:

If you can’t but didn’t sign anything either ask them for proof if they can’t show it take it to court.

Flag Post

Yes, Take It To Court.

Flag Post

I don’t think after four years your advice is going to be extremely helpful any more.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

I don’t think after four years your advice is going to be extremely helpful any more.

Haha just realised that :)

Flag Post

I do wonder how thing ended up trough after a few years…

Flag Post

was it Telstra by any chance Eggy? They’re fuckheads

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bobneson:

Where the heck did you find this thread and why did you bump it, Bob? It’s over 3 y.o.