Too Much Spam, Put The Foot Down page 2

43 posts

Flag Post

Ive trolled on heaps of websites befor. Its just to piss people off, and to vent anger, mainly if they did something you dis-agree with, like banning you.

Flag Post

Extreme I don’t think it would be a good idea to put Flash cookies on someones computer with out THEIR permission It could interfere with something on their computer and then maybe erase it.

I don’t think you understand. I meant like Flash save files. That combined with MAC address banning (is that possible?), IP banning, and a browser cookie would make for one annoyed person everytime they create a new account.

Flag Post

it think that there is enoth spam. it’s nice to have a nice and nice combination of real languege and spam because let me tell you a story but the spam wasnt to be goodnight amsterdamm

Flag Post

I don’t think you understand. I meant like Flash save files. That combined with MAC address banning (is that possible?), IP banning, and a browser cookie would make for one annoyed person everytime they create a new account.

You are correct that there’s nothing wrong with using flash cookies, since most of these games put flash cookies on the computer. It wouldn’t do any harm, certainly. I suppose the problem is the more you do to try to stop people, the more inclined they are to get around it just to prove they can. It’s the hacker mentality of “you can’t stop me”. If you don’t try to stop them, then they have nothing to prove and gain nothing by trying to get around you. Registering a new username is trivial and unimpressive and so does nothing to prove one’s superiority.

Flag Post

So I guess the real question is “to ban, or not to ban”.

Why don’t we try a system where people aren’t banned, their accounts are just nullified. They can’t place highscores, chat, or make forum posts, but can still earn badges.

Do we have a set date that greg’s user moderation system will be implemented? I suppose we should wait and see how that turns out before suggesting more fixes.

Flag Post

Why don’t we try a system where people aren’t banned, their accounts are just nullified. They can’t place highscores, chat, or make forum posts, but can still earn badges.

This is exactly what we do now, except we don’t allow them to earn badges. Why should they continue to earn badges? I don’t understand the logic there.

As for user-mod, I don’t think anything is going to have a set date at this point. There is a lot on Kongregate’s plate right now and they’re doing a great job, but I don’t think they’re at a point where they’re making deadlines on specific features. It’s more organic, fluid environment at this point. Of course, we’re also still in beta ;-).

Flag Post

I think it’ll keep a few of them from creating new accounts (they don’t want to lose all their work, unless they’re hackers).

Well, I guess we’ll just have to wait a few months. Remind me to revive this topic when that happens. =P

Flag Post

a reformed troll. Now that you’re civilized, theres a question that I’d really like to ask. What is the point in trolling?

well mine was mainly because of this The bulling Thread
( see my post in that thread) mainly back when i was a “bully” all i wanted was to eb the center of attention when i spammed everyboady takes notice of you and the useres here dont ignore trolls they just give them me attention but yea iv changed my ways now

Flag Post

Too Much Spam, Put The Foot Down*. And yes, I have noticed an extreme amount of trolls on Kongregate that really aren’t anywhere else. The only thing i can think of is more MODs..:\

Flag Post

I suggest Juze as a mod.

• Oh Extreme I see now sorry, Yes that would be a good idea.
  • EDIT:I wanttobreak, well you don’t use “real” language. Your post Is spam, I don’t even know what it means, Have you any idea what you are talking about?

Flag Post
  • People Posting spam but not knowing that they are.
  • There are a lot of young people here on Kongregate that post on the Forums and sometimes don’t realise that their post is either: Useless, Insulting, Spam and So on.
  • People keep creating useless threads that just get locked and sit on different pages.
  • I think Moderators should have a delete thread option, Or the offender may be given a Whispered warning or something and then resulting in a ban if rules are not obeyed.
  • Also, Any more ideas on how to stop spammers creating multiple accounts. Keep on Discussing.

Flag Post

Anyone else find it ironic that a thread about spam gets forcibly bumped back into existence?

Anyway, forums mods do have the ability to delete and thread and use it when needed, as well as whispered warnings. I fail to see the point of this thread…

Flag Post

Sorry for threadomancy but, for one thing: I have no problem with people chat spamming. Normally it is quite comical however, spamming on the forums is incredibly annoying. I hope it is dealt with quite severely on this forum in particular.

Flag Post

You should look at the way some other forums work… I mod on a forum for OGame, and also for a game called Warpfire. We have a user warning system, so if a user does something wrong on the board, like spamming or flaming, you give them a warning from it and it shows up on their profile. 3 or 4 warnings, and the user is banned for a few days. Another few, a longer ban. Another few, and a permanent ban. If they make another account, that account is banned too. And yes, people can easily get around IP bans, but if they’re willing to go to that effort to troll the boards, there’s not much you can do to stop them anyway.

Flag Post
  • Swearing: One Thing I was thinking of was say like in chat they have a filter so when some one swears it comes up in stars *********** Like that.
  • Maybe Use this in the forums as well, I know that it is easy to bypass the filter by adding any punctuation Marks.
  • Maybe have a Pop up screen warning, The only problem is if they have a pop up blocker, Though you could have it inbuilt into the Kongregate server so it is a Part of The Kongregate Site and instead of creating a new window just a little box in the middle of their screen pops up.
  • Triple – Quadruple Posting, I heard a rumour that a warning already pops up if you have Triple Or Quadruple posted, Am I right?
  • So please Discuss and Give your Opinion.

Flag Post

Protecting =/= Censorship

Flag Post

Huh, What?

Flag Post

What should be understood here is.. what is the mentality of that individual who chooses – against the grain of etiquette – to regress into a spamming moron who repeats the same phrase repeatedly until everyone elects to mute them.

I think it’s a combination of the frustration of boredom and ineptitude owing to a lack of experience on the ’net.

In my very first time in a chatroom (erm.. BTW over 12 years ago in Resort) I could think of nothing to do or say but bark like a dog. SO I yapped, and did so repeatedly. After 8 or 9 barks the Mod warned me that I was spamming and I stopped. Simple as that! I’ve Never done anything like that again for being aware of what spamming actually was.

People who spam the chat area of this website are not participating in a conversation or playing any games. So – hiding behind the veil of anonymity – they lash out. The chat area on Kongregate is so limited that it is sometimes even difficult to hit the perpetrator’s name to mute them let alone give them a warning that they are spamming. But in my mind, there’s no real concern about what these spammers are doing. They just get muted.

Sure there are Trolls – you only give them capital by arguing with them. And there are hackers, who advertise Flash hacks. I will always report the latter who use the chat area to market wares because they encourage gamers to download software that could compromise their PC’s security. Compared to the offence that trolls can cause and the damage that hackers can do – spamming really is the least of our worries.

Behind the veil of anonymity people can exhibit extremely offensive behaviour patterns amongst strangers that they would not reveal any where else. Simply, because nobody can step up and smash their faces in. Muting them is adequate protection. But It is the hackers that the site admin needs to concentrate their attention on. Hackers will quite happily be muted and ignored since they only need to convince one “mark” in a room of a hundred to do their damage.

To this effect I ask for a single button method for reporting hacker’s behaviour – like the profile pane methods reading like “Add as Friend” “Mute” and “Report hacking to Admin.” and some chat history could be recorded to a reasonable degree. If anyone abuses the chat forum – or misuses the “report” button – then the admin can make their own mind up and take action.