Scientists are predicting Ice Age. page 2

44 posts

Flag Post

Do you mean that scientists have predicted an ice age sometime in the future? They’re right. There will be another one at some point, as it happens in cycles.

If you assume previous trends will hold up, we’re due one anytime now. However human pollution of the planet over the last century is something the earth hasn’t seen before, it’s not possible to assume the precedent holds true.

Flag Post

>Yeah, an ice age is coming. Once global warming kills off the human population and our caveman survivors are unable to produce any more pollution, our polar ice caps will eventually return.

I can only hope that was sarcasm.

>Adapting to small changes over hundreds of thousands of years =/= surviving drastic changes over one hundred years

But whatever global warming can theoretically do is far outmatched by the tempature difference from winter and summer. The theoretical “drastic” change is from 1 to 2 degrees (F) over the next hundred years. Things vary more than that per day.

Flag Post

Adapting to small changes over hundreds of thousands of years =/= surviving drastic changes over one hundred years.

I disagree. Most evolutionary scientists accept the theory of punctuated equilibrium. Species stay the same over long periods of time and then exhibit rapid change. A recent news article in Nation Geographic shows just how fast species are capable of evolving when necessary. Lizards exhibited large change over a period of only 30 years. Link

Flag Post

You must have watched “Day after Tommarow.” Dude, that’s a science fiction movie. the earth goes through a stage of cold weather, and a stage of warming up.
Proof: so you ask? Earth plunges into ice age, earth heats up causing snow to melt, earth gets hot, Global Warming, most of the heat leaves earth’s core, earth in ice age again.

AN ICE AGE IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NOW, IN THE VERY DISTENT FUTURE AFTER EARTH HEATS UP, IT MIGHT

Flag Post

“we’re due one anytime now”… Ok… aren’t we due everything and anything apocalyptic soon? EG the Mayan 2012 prophecy, a giant meteor, Yellowstone super volcanic eruption, etc… and now this as well? I hope it all strikes at once.

Flag Post

“we’re due one anytime now”… Ok… aren’t we due everything and anything apocalyptic soon? EG the Mayan 2012 prophecy, a giant meteor, Yellowstone super volcanic eruption, etc… and now this as well? I hope it all strikes at once.

We’re due one anytime now in the sense the typical precedented time between ice age cycles suggests we’re due the next one 50 years ago, give or take a few hundred years, iirc.

Day after tomorrow has really minimal scientific backing and afaik very few professional proponents of global warming theory would give the film’s science any credence.

Flag Post

lol so half the globe is going to be covered in ice, and the other half will be burning up! Nice!

Flag Post

lol

Flag Post

lol so half the globe is going to be covered in ice, and the other half will be burning up! Nice!

I will descibe what it will be like in the following diagram.

Its the Earth!

Hot Side -—> (I) <——— Cold side

The line in the middle is the perfect temperature, which survives. That is actually where Australia is.

Flag Post

Australia isn’t on the equator. At least not much of it (or any, I can’t remember).

Flag Post

No sir, you have mis-understood. That is the vertical equator of burning up and frozen.

Flag Post

Yellow stone was suposed to erupt over 2000 years ago (i can’t remember the #). It is possible that the eruption will cause the climate to decrease into an ice age, (it happened before, volcano exploded in Japan, world tempurature decreased by 1 degree). but that still doesn’t prove that any thing will happen. It will take a long time for he world to cool over into an ice age. Now, for those who watched Supervolcano on the discovery channel, i don’t know how long it would take to cool earth down with the ash in the air.

Flag Post

billyfred yur so hilarious lol

Flag Post

When the end of the world comes, no one of us will be here, maybe your sons, your poor sons

Flag Post

In a nut shell if global temperatures get to high, it will melt most to all glaciers worldwid, which will in turn dump a ton of fresh water into the oceans, this has a very strong chance of slowing or stopping the movement of ocean water around the world, decrease temperatures worldwide. The ocean absorbs almost all the heat from the sun and as the water current moves around the world it redistributes heat.

Flag Post

THAT IS SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO GAY

Flag Post

THAT IS SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO GAY

Jesus, I think we may have another 11 year old on our hands…

Flag Post

we cant have a ice age if we do we will all freeze and the people in the future will find us froz if they do we’ll tell them wat happen in the time right now and if they dont we will never exist and we’ll start back at the dinosoar age and every thing will start all over again

Flag Post

we cant have a ice age if we do we will all freeze and the people in the future will find us froz if they do we’ll tell them wat happen in the time right now and if they dont we will never exist and we’ll start back at the dinosoar age and every thing will start all over again

Is this a tag team of stupidity? This is the SERIOUS DISCUSSION forum.