Steering Hurricanes

7 posts

Flag Post

I was listending to talk radio yesterday I heard a scientist discussing the possablity of steering a hurricane. Apparently they think that if you were to seed, lets say the northwest, section of a hurricane with finely shredded rubber pieces, say from tires. That it would affect the composition of the air/water/cloud masses in that area and it could turn the hurricane in the direction the pieces were seeded. I have also heard that using a laser to super heat the ocean surface in a particular section of the hurricane would steer it in another direction due to the change in the winds inside the hurricane. Anyway I have been looking into it a bit but haven’t found too much info on it, I just thought it would be really cool not to have another NO.

Flag Post

Seems like those theories are possible. But i’m no expert.

Flag Post

Super heating a part of the ocean could work to shift the direction of a hurricane, after all wind is caused from the uneven heating of the earth. However, I’m not really sure how well they could ‘steer’ it. :)

Flag Post

However, I’m not really sure how well they could ‘steer’ it. :)

Yeah, it’d probably start a deadly game of pong across the Atlantic.

Flag Post

I have also heard that using a laser to super heat the ocean surface

Good luck with that.

Flag Post

Yeah, it’d probably start a deadly game of pong across the Atlantic.

Good, Pong needs an update XD

Edit: Hmm, maybe my next flash project which I’ve been too apathetic to start…

Flag Post

Oh, damn! Hurricane pong would be awesome! :)

By the way, I don’t know about the specific things suggested by the OP, but weather manipulation is actually a fact today.