Cosmology

14 posts

Flag Post

Well I have my astronomy 2 final tonight (comprehensive) and I just can’t seem to tear myself away from lurking the forums in order to study. So I thought I’d just start a thread discussing the cosmological wonders of the universe so at least I might prepare myself a little.

So if you have an thoughts, ideas, questions, or whatever, post ’em here.

Flag Post

wow i have no idea watsoeva!!

Flag Post

String theory is what I put my money on. Everything is all connected and if we can figure out the right energy formula we should be able to jump time and space. And if that isn’t on the final just tell them that super novas are bright.

Flag Post

Yeah string theory is interesting, but I have to take the side with many that until it is falsifiable it is more science fiction than science. Maybe in 20 years, however, something drastic will happen and allow us to actually test it – until then, meh.

Flag Post

wow did you go back in time to post before you posted?

Flag Post

wow did you go back in time to post before you posted?

I must have found the secret to time travel somewhere in my rant of string theory. :0

Flag Post

Try studying so you don’t fail the test. That is just my $.02, though.

Flag Post

The test was surprisingly easy (for me at least), I heard the others had trouble, however. ;p

Flag Post

I don’t support the String Theory. Its pretty much the smartest people in the world saying “What if”.

Flag Post

I’ll say that String Theory is being tested somewhat. As you know, there must be ten demensions of space and one of time to exist.

At CERN, the Large Hadron collider will be testing for extra demensions by seeing if energy is less after a collision of particles than during the collions of particles (Jumping for one dimension to another).

I suggest seeing this talk by Brian Greene for more information on String Theory: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/251

Flag Post

Hare, every theory is a “what if”. If it is disproved, it’s no longer applicable. If it isn’t disproved, we consider it true.

Flag Post

Or at least highly likely. A theory has to be repeatedly proven not false through experimentation. A hypothesis is what may or may not be true.

Also, look. MY COMPANION CUBE HAS RETURNED!

Flag Post

Logical positiveism. (or whatever the english term is)

Unlesss I’m completely mixing up my philosophy here.

To quote one man whose name I can’t remember:
“The greatest merit a theory can hold is that it has not yet been disporved”

Bah, I need to read up on my philosophy. Been a few years since I had it in uni.

Flag Post

Well, I’m supposed to be revising for Psychology & Computing exams I have in 8 hours… And I need some sleep at some point tonight…