Why Pray? page 2

37 posts

Flag Post

I’d be really interested to look at those studies. Most of the studies that I found (http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2005/07/does-prayer-work.html, http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/10_october/15/does_prayer_work.shtml, http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=2106) show that prayer doesn’t have a significant impact.

Flag Post

there have been studies conducted with random number generators in relation to prayer and meditation and it has been discovered that such acts can in fact influence the outcome of such devices.

Presumably one would have to assume, if accepting these studies’ results and applying Christian doctrine, that it is NOT a divine response causing any imbalance. I’m skeptical however as I’m sure you can understand.

Flag Post

OK, a quick Google search to yield this which contains a reference to the EGG Project for more specific findings along a scientific approach.

Presumably one would have to assume, if accepting these studies’ results and applying Christian doctrine, that it is NOT a divine response causing any imbalance. I’m skeptical however as I’m sure you can understand.

I did not tend to imply in any form that these studies followed any particular doctrine, nor do they represent any correlation with the divine, but rather the effect of such behaviors as discussed in the EGG project (link above).

Flag Post

Why smoke?

Flag Post

praying increase hitpoints by 50* you experience level. Other times it increases your armour or damage, so thats worth it

Flag Post

Thats aslo why being a dumb-arse isn’t worth it.

Flag Post

I have a hard time believing someone just sat down and “created” the story of Jesus and the Holy Trinity (seriously, who could even come up with that without drugs??), but perhaps that’s not what you meant.

Sigh, why do people always jump to the conclusion that it’s drugs if someone comes up with something so completely original and creative that no one else could ever think of. Just because thats not how your mind works don’t assume it of everyone else’s. ’

I find praying ridiculous as well, probably the biggest stand alone evidence that could convince me by itself is the fact that nothing that is 100% impossible has ever come true from praying.

E.g People pray there family member gets well from cancer and they do.

People pray there family member gets there leg that was blown off to regrow, and it doesn’t.

Just because something has a 0.0000000001% chance of happening, it doesn’t mean it can’t. If everyone in the world prayed for something impossible all day every day, it wouldn’t happen.

Flag Post

Give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he’ll feed his family for the rest of his life.
Teach a man to pray, and he’ll die praying for a fish.

Flag Post

Give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he’ll feed his family for the rest of his life. Teach a man to pray, and he’ll die praying for a fish.

I think I have a new favorite quote.

Flag Post

Sigh, why do people always jump to the conclusion that it’s drugs if someone comes up with something so completely original and creative that no one else could ever think of. Just because thats not how your mind works don’t assume it of everyone else’s.

Eggy, I was primarily kidding, though it’s fairly well known that many song-writers and artists do at least feel more creative with some extra “stimulation”. Additionally, hallucinogens have been used in relation to religious experiences in the past as well.

Flag Post

Oh I didn’t realise you were kidding… my bad. Yeah some do, but no where near most.

Flag Post

When i read this thread i am remined of this small story

‘There was a small village by the coast, and one day a storm hits the village. As the water level rises, a religiouse man prays that god save him from the flood. As the police knock on his door and askes him if he needs any help, he replys "No, I have prayed. God will save me. The water continues to rise untill it is 1 story high. A small boat floats by and people yell at the man through his window if he needs any help, but the man insits that God will save him. When the man is stood on the roof of his house, the water swelling around him, a helicopter hovers above him, and the rescuers plead with him he lets them save him. The man is again strong in his faith that God will save him, and dissmises the helicoper. As the water rises the man drowns in the rough current. When he gets to heaven, he yells at God for not saving him, But God smiles and replys "I sent the police, the boat and the helicopter, what more do you want?’

Know one expects God to reach down and pluch a fish from the water (reffering to previouse posters). But if you pray for a fish, You might find someone with the knoledge to teach you to fish.