Earthquake in China

23 posts

Flag Post

Hi guys, I think you might have heard about the natural disaster in the Si Chuan province in China. I am only 500 kilometers away from there and I could feel the earthquake. Some people even died in my city because of cellings from toilets fell down on them. 15 deaths in my city and over 15000 in death toll as of 15th of May 2008. 40000+ people are missing and most is expected to be dead. This is some serious stuff man. So, why should we not just have a topic in here to talk about it.

So, what do you guys (or girls) think of this disaster?

Flag Post

Though it could have been prepared for [earthquake resistant buildings, evacuation if you have the equipment to say there is going to be an earthquake] the chinese government are dealing with it quite well, much better than Burma

Flag Post

Wow – that’s amazing to hear from someone over in that area.

Between this and the Myanmar typhoon we’ve had a horrible past week or so of natural disasters (the US was also hit by a series of tornados, though the death toll is negligible compared to those other two). Best of luck to everyone involved, especially to those who are searching for people still trapped over there.

Flag Post

i think any significance of this is over-shaddowed by the fact that china have enough wealth to deal productively with an earthquake. And more importantly (i dont know what it would be like to live in china) when wathcing the bbc enws the government in china always seem so ready and patriotic to help the people affected. The interrnational communty should be focusing on Burma where the deaths will escalate to twice those of china…

Flag Post

I’ve been to Sichuan before, and while it is kinda bad in general, I heard that the government’s been doing pretty well managing it. I mean, 50,000 deaths is bad no matter how you slice it, but in Burma things have been going to **** in a handbasket. A 7.9 earthquake could’ve been a lot, lot, worse.

Flag Post

Yeah, they handled it pretty good actually, but still, China said this morning the death toll might roll up to 75000 because of all the missing people. They’ve only retrieved about 1000 people and still 50000 are missing. But it was kind of cool to be where I was because we got send home from school in like 2nd period. Yay but, still. Wow.

Flag Post

Good luck Orakk.

Flag Post

Burma’s well over twice the deaths. China’s been estimated about 20,000 last I heard, while Burma’s looking at over 100,000. They’re still both far worse than anything the US has ever experienced AFAIK.

Flag Post

The fascist government, or lack there of, isn’t performing a massive cover up this time.

Flag Post

I’ll be donating money to the cyclone and earthquake relief.

Flag Post

mmm, my point is though, why do a country whose government holds such great wealth as china need an earthquake relief fund? surely they can (over?)adequeately deal with it themselves. Its like donating money to support those effected by the disastrous lincolnshire quake earlier this year. The chinese government save money by not pumping as much resources into the rescue and then exploit the stupid westerners whove seen the crying faces on tv. Lots less would have been crying too in the first place, if the buildings had been made earthquake proof.. but due to the ginese dictatorship ripping people off, they accept bribes to lower the standards of building regulations.

GLAD YOUR FUNDING A GOOD CAUSE

Flag Post

It’s things like this that make me glad i live in englad. Good old safe England, In the middle of a tektonic plate :)

Flag Post

hahaha :):)

i too enjoy this honour,

Flag Post

Move to Canada. No hurricanes, gets past 30C in the summer (way better then England – doesn’t rain as much either), no hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes. Only snow.

Flag Post

dam china took a big hit

Flag Post

Sorry for threadomancy but…
There was a terrible film off china state tv of a man phoning his wife for the last time as he was trapped in rubble, the chinese government is milking it slightly but at least they are letting aid in and administering theirs.

Flag Post

Actually, that’s hardly even a little hit. There’s 1 billion people in China.

Flag Post

it’s too bad china got hit with that big of a quake!! I’ve donated money already too relief efforts.

Flag Post

the earthquake came from china to Vietnam

Flag Post

nooooooooooo i have a freind whos in china

Flag Post

Actually,did you guys hear about the man who was buried under rubble for like 70 or 80 rubble and finally came out but died in half an hour later? Good thing I live seriously far from China.

Flag Post

If something is not done about the breaking dams a lot more people are going to die. Not that it would affect China too much. Like Venderman said, there’s a billion living in there.

Flag Post

Dude my friends dad lives in China for bussinss woder if he got hit or not.