Euthanasia

14 posts

Flag Post

Just want to know peoples view on euthanasia. I know that is a terribly complex issue but and just want to know what people think.
In my opinion I think thatin certain situations it can be justified. I find it strange that if a pet or any animal in fact is in such pain in death the only humane thing to do is to put it out of its missery so to speak, when on the other hand many wouldnt think the same about a person. Im prety sure that humane comes from human, but its strange then how we arent humane to a human. It is like we respect the animal more than a person. We have the right to die with dignity and excruciating pain or being so drugged up that you arent really there and just wither away is not my idea of dieing with dignity. Of course there is many problems to it like who deciedes it to be done and at what stage. Iv heard of a story that a son asked for his father to be euthasasied(probably wrong word) just so his death wouldnt interfere with his family holiday.

EDIT: Poll Added:

http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/426564-89850

Flag Post

Hasn’t this been discussed elsewhere?

Flag Post

I searched for euthanasia and all I found was references to Pillage the Village and something from somebodies profile. Could you link me to it if you know where?

Flag Post

Oh, ok, just checking that there wasn’t anything prior to refer to. Feel free to discuss.

I’m not sure where I stand on Euthanasia…

Flag Post

I’m totally for it. If someone wants to die, let them. If they want to die and they’re unable to kill themselves, help them. If they want to die but they’re mentally incapable of understanding the ramifications of their decision, and that’s unlikely to change, still let/help them. If someone’s unable to communicate whether they want to live or die e.g. due to being in a vegetative state, give the responsibility to whoever was closest to them.

Flag Post

I agree with Phooltk.

Flag Post

I agree with Milski.

Flag Post

I agree with Mastry. (let’s start a trend :P)

Edit: I lolled when I saw SPs post. :D

Flag Post

I agree with Nithos.

Flag Post

The animal isn’t smart enough to know why its in pain, and will only grow more confused and stressed. I think it is a lot better to put the animal down than to have it live the remainder of its life in pain and confusion.

Flag Post

I’m with phooltk, but maybe not as extreme as that. I would only be willing to do it if the patient, the family, and a priest said it was ethically right. (I’m Catholic so I gotta be watching my back…)

Flag Post

Priests are notorious for waiting a month with people who are in immense pain and can’t live at all on their own stay until they deem it “right” once the family has already burned their money caring for the person, and it violates seperation of church and state to make a priest have to say it is OK. I say that it should be if the patient wants it, or if the patient is in provable pain and cannot speak for himself it should be left up to the family, and possibly decided on a case by case basis.

Also, this isn’t about animals, Hare.

Flag Post

I’m gonna take a conservative stance on this… It isn’t right to take away life (even your own) just for pain or emotional stress. If everyone who felt like killing themselves had an easy, painless way to do that, then there would be an enormous suicide rate. Alternately, the OP said that it was undignified to use painkillers (e.g. morphine) to help physical pain. But I don’t see how it would be even more undignified to give up and kill yourself…

Overall, no one has the right to take human life except for self-defense, and suicide violates both of these principles, so I don’t think that Euthanasia should be legalized.

Flag Post

I agree that it is a good idea, but circumstances vary.

I dont think it’s fair to identify if the person has a card saying they agree to euthanasia and then letting them go straight away. This is because under the actually event of a life threatining situation, the person may change their mind about being saved.
Yes, I do see the problem of not being able to say this when in a coma for example, I don’t know how to solve that problem either.
But apart from that, it is a more humane way to die than suicide and for some people, easier to face than death for a terminal illness. So, if you want to do it, go ahead :)