Make-A-Wish

27 posts

Flag Post
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to make a wish from the make-a-wish foundation. (http://www.wish.org). I was diagnosed with Leukemia a few years ago and have recently been thinking about using my wish. I was looking for some ideas, please post them if you have them. I'll try to credit the person who has the idea. EDIT:GUYS, I'VE DECIDED ON THE XBOX 360 ELITE, I've also made it into an XBox 360 themed room makeover with all the xbox stuff and a room makeover. Here are the games/accessories etc I was planning on. (Yes, I know most of the games are rated M.) Also, if you reccomend any games not on here, please post. Btw, the complete list of backward compatible XBox games is here -> http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=bc&platform=1029&page_type=games&tag=subnav;xbox_compat. Thanks Again Make-A-Wish – Room Makeover Themed XBOX 360 + Accessories XBox 360 +Accessories and Games 1-XBox 360 Elite (Xbox 360 console, 120GB hard drive, wireless controller (black), headset (black), HDMI cable, Xbox Live Silver membership, 1-month subscription to XBox live Gold) 3- XBox 360 wireless controllers (1 blue, 1 white, 1 black) 4- XBox 360 controller rechargeable battery packs 2- XBox Live Gold Subscription (12 months) 2- XBox 360 Wireless headsets X- A total of 75,000 Microsoft Points 1-XBox 360 120GB external hard drive 1- Nyko Intercooler 360 for XBox 360 1- XBox 360 Wireless Network Adapter 1- Halo 3 Legendary Edition for XBox 360 1- Halo Triple Pack for XBox 1- Call of Duty 2 for XBox 360 1- Call of Duty 3 for XBox 360 1- Call of Duty 4 for XBox 360 1- Rock Band with Guitar, Drums and Microphone for XBox 360 1- Unreal Tournament for XBox 360 1- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for XBox 360 1- Mass Effect for XBox 360 1- Devil May Cry 4 for XBox 360 1- Gears of War for XBox 360 1- The Orange Box for XBox 360 1- Crackdown for XBox 360 1- Bioshock for XBox 360 1- Grand Theft Auto Trilogy for XBox 1- Grand Theft Auto 4 for XBox 360 1- Counterstrike for XBox 1- Half-Life 2 for XBox 1- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for XBox 360 1- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 for XBox 360 1- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell for XBox 1- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent for XBox 360 1- Project Gotham Racing 4 for XBox 360 1- Forza Motorsport 2 for XBox 360 1- Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for XBox 360 1- The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time for XBox EDIT 2: I've deleted a few games, and reduced the amount of microsoft points, added a few accessories and stuff. Also, I was planning on having my parents approve the list before I submitted it. here's the revised list, some more feedback is appreciated but no flaming please. Make-A-Wish – Room Makeover Themed XBOX 360 + Accessories XBox 360 +Accessories and Games 1-XBox 360 Elite (Xbox 360 console, 120GB hard drive, wireless controller (black), headset (black), HDMI cable, Xbox Live Silver membership, 1-month subscription to XBox live Gold) 3- XBox 360 wireless controllers (1 blue, 1 white, 1 black) 4- XBox 360 controller rechargeable battery packs 2- XBox Live Gold Subscription (12 months) 2- XBox 360 Wireless headsets 2- Microsoft XBox 360 Quick Charge Kit X- A total of 25,000 Microsoft Points 1- Nyko Intercooler 360 for XBox 360 1- XBox 360 Wireless Network Adapter 1- Halo 3 Legendary Edition for XBox 360 1- Halo Triple Pack for XBox 1- Call of Duty 4 for XBox 360 1- Rock Band with 2 Guitars, Drums and Microphone for XBox 360 1- Unreal Tournament 3 for XBox 360 1- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for XBox 360 1- Mass Effect for XBox 360 1- Mass Effect 2 for XBox 360 (if possible) 1- Devil May Cry 4 for XBox 360 1- Gears of War for XBox 360 1- Gears of War 2 for XBox 360 (if possible) 1- Crackdown for XBox 360 1- Bioshock for XBox 360 1- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for XBox 1- Grand Theft Auto 4 for XBox 360 1- Counterstrike for XBox 1- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 for XBox 360 1- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent for XBox 360 1- Project Gotham Racing 3 for XBox 360 1- Project Gotham Racing 4 for XBox 360 1- Forza Motorsport 2 for XBox 360 1- Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for XBox 360 1- Command and Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath for XBox 360 (expansion pack) 1- The Prince of Persia for XBox 360 1- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for XBox 360 1- Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold for XBox 360

Flag Post

I feel for your illness man, but I’m not sure if this is going to generate much of a serious discussion.

Flag Post

I would suggest this go in the off topic forum, and sorry for your illness. For a wish how about working on a big film.

Flag Post

Well, we can turn this into a discussion about what people think is most important, or what they would wish for, if people think it’s not fitting here.

I’d probably suggest trying to meet someone, or having some experience, rather than those things. If there was ever some celebrity, or author, or public figure you looked up to and you had a chance to meet or talk with them (I don’t really know what you can or can’t do), that would probably be cool. Or if there was somewhere you ever wanted to visit, or something you want to do. If you like virtual reality stuff, or robots, or new technology, you could see if you can get to visit some research institutions and see what people are working on and meet the people making them. Mostly, I’m just leaning more in the direction of something that’s not as material :D

Flag Post

I have to agree with matt. Make A Wish I think generally attempts to give you the opportunity to do something you may not otherwise be able to do. Playing video games and zipping around on Segway’s might be fun, but it’s hardly once-in-a-lifetime. You can go play games at a friends house and you could rent Segway’s for a day for a fairly reasonable amount of money I think.

As for the thread, I don’t see any problem with it in this forum. It is very much a serious discussion and a big decision to make. Please don’t make the mistake of thinking that all threads in this forum must be debates or arguments. They must merely be a discussion of some serious nature.

Flag Post

I would suggest meeting with a famous person as well.

Flag Post

On the other hand, meeting a famous person lasts all of maybe an hour. A full on gaming rig will keep you entertained for a long time.

Flag Post

My honest suggestion would probably get me flamed.

I would shoot for an experience rather than something so material though. Meeting someone famous is really meh to me but then I’ve never really idolised someone.

Flag Post

Does Make-A-Wish dwell in wishes dealing with illegal substances?

Flag Post

Don’t do a material wish. I think that, yeah, meeting someone famous/you idolise would be good.

Flag Post

If I had a wish it would be rather simple. I would only want to spend some time with a few of close online friends.

Flag Post

Do a material wish. If you decide on a celebrity, it’ll be akward as all hell and you’d only embarass yourself.

As far as a material wish goes, ask for something exspensive.

Flag Post

I know a guy who’s wanted a motorcycle all his life, but Make-A-Wish doesn’t do autos of any sort. :\

Flag Post

thanks. I’ve kinda decided on the Xbox because I was thinking, if I met someone, once it’s over it’s over. Vs the Xbox which should last me quite a while. Anyway, I don’t really have an idol or someone I’d like to meet. Btw, I got off chemo treatment 13/14 months ago. Unless you knew you knew I had cancer, you wouldn’t have known I had cancer.

Thanks

Flag Post

how about instead of a small crappy ass wish you make a BIG wish like everything one could possibly want how bout wish for a cure and all the newst systems and games to use them

Flag Post

Hellwolf, I don’t think you quite understand. Make-A-Wish is not magical, despite their name. Wishing for a cure would not create a cure. Unless you meant to tell him to wish for The Cure. Then I suppose that would make sense.

Flag Post

haha

Robert Smith all turning up at your bedside.

“This isn’t what I wanted at all!” :’(

Btw, I got off cheme treatment 13/14 months ago. Unless you knew you wouldn’t have known I had cancer.

Glad to hear that.

Flag Post

any other suggestions?

Flag Post

Well, I have a couple of cuts for you. You have Advanced Warfighter listed twice (maybe you meant for one of them to be the sequel?), and there’s no reason to get HL2 for XBOX when you’re getting the Orange Box (which has HL2 in it, with much better graphics). Also, no reason to get the 120GB external drive since you’re getting the Elite anyway.

You also need either to get 2 quick-chargers for your battery packs, or 4 plug-n-play packs (with batteries included).

You might want to add Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold to your list. You sound like you’re planning on having bunch of friends over, and that’s a great 4-player game that can keep you guys interested for hours. Plus, it’s only $15 on Amazon these days. ;)

Honestly, I’d cut down on the game requests and get a nice 42 inch television myself (unless you already have one). If you don’t have a good HD set you’ll never really experience the true beauty of these games. Personally, I think 75,000 Microsoft points is absurd (perhaps you meat 7500?). You realize that’s almost $1000 in points? You’d have to buy most of the entire library of XBLA to spend that… I don’t know what your budget is like, but I’d consider dropping to maybe 10,000 points, dropping a lot of the original games. Honestly, are you going to spend the time to really play the entire GTA Trilogy when you have GTAIV sitting there? Same thing for Call of Duty 2, Advanced Warfighter 1, and Splinter Cell. In general, unless you have a particular affinity for the game in the first place, you’re going to find yourself wanting to play the newer ones. So, drop some of those and add a nice TV, and maybe a good surround-sound setup (the TV should cost around $1000, and you can get a decent surround sound setup for under $500).

However, I do have one major concern with this wish. You’re under 18. Many (most) of these games are rated M. I have no idea how the MaW Foundation is going to feel about buying a bunch of violent games for an underage kid. It might be fine, but you should be prepared for that response.

Flag Post

Wow. Talk about abusing their Make-A-Wish’s generosity. I feel your pain, but seriously, they get all their money from donations, and other kids want gifts too. I suggest you get rid of about 75% of that list, and leave the stuff you really want. They’d most likely refuse anyway, making everyone feel very awkward.

Flag Post

I have to agree with Phoenix about the rated M thing. There might be an actual legal issue with buying you rated M games for a minor. Can I just suggest making a short list of T rated games just in case. If it’s a non issue then I’d recommend Elder Scrolls (various) a bit older but I love it. If you don’t mind a bit of RPG thrown in to your list of sports and fighting, of course ;) Anyway, my heart goes out to you and I’m absolutely happy that you’re feeling great. I hope your wish turns out awesome when it’s completed. =)

Flag Post

this seems so strange >.<

i feel for your illness, but doesn’t it seem a bit overdone? i always get a weard fealing when i watch that show, like gifts is the only thing that can make a kid happy. or like that one day is going to make everything allright…..

hmm maybe thats just me, opinions please :)

Flag Post

Pyroball – I will still hold with what most of this thread has agreed with: an XBOX 360 is really not the ideal wish. If you’re done with chemo (huge congrats!!) and doing well, and likely to have a long, full life in front of you, then chances are you’ll make enough money to be able to buy games and systems in the future.

What you won’t be able to do is meet Michael Jordan. Or get a batting cage installed in your back yard. Or be in a “Got milk?” ad. Or go swimming with dolphins. Or meet Bill Gates. These are all things that other kids have gotten in their wishes. Are you sure there isn’t some experience you want? You’ll forget about the 360 in 10 years, but you’ll always remember some once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Flag Post

thats way cooler.

- or travel to the mount everest and go bungeejumping with a llama :D
- or meet madonna
- or spend a day in some tropical island (do they do travels?)
- or go snowboarding.
- atleast do something that is unique then you can brag to your friends :)

anways someone has an opinion about my last post?

Flag Post

Something I would wish for would be for my favourite band to sing a song that I wrote. Then I would probably request that all of the money generated from that song be donated back into the make-a-wish foundation.