What's the best mp3 player?

16 posts

Flag Post

I’ve just taken up jogging and need an mp3 player. I’ve checked out the samsung yp-k3 and really liked the look of it, but it gets VERY mixed reviews.

So what do you think is the best mp3 player out there at the moment?

Flag Post

I use an Ipod, works fine for me. But if you go for that, you should add better quality earplugs/headphones than the standard ones.

Flag Post

Thanks Theo.

I do like the ipod nanos, but it’s a little out of my price range. @.o

Flag Post

Get an ipod shuffle if its just for jogging. Not really serious discussion… More off-topic…

Flag Post

I posted there too. XD

Flag Post

Ipod, if not for the ease of use then for the sheer fact that you can find just about any accessory for it. I’m still saving for the usb powered toaster attachment.

Flag Post

Why dont you get a walkman or other music phone.

Flag Post

My phone plays music, but it’s too heavy and bounces round in my pocket. It nearly fell out twice the other day. >.<

Flag Post

then the cheapest thing would be to wear clothes with a zip

Flag Post

I was in a similar situation to you, toxic. When I picked up jogging, I wanted a good MP3 player for some tunes. I ended up with a Coby. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s cheap and does the trick. I got an earlier model, but this one is on sale for $25 on Amazon (normally $50) and it’s a 2GB model that comes with an arm-strap so you can just keep it on your upper arm. Works nicely, is plenty large enough (heck, I have a 512MB model which is way more than enough for a really good running-music mix), and it’s dirt cheap. Then, if you keep up the jogging for, say, 6 months, you could reward yourself with a better one, if you think you need it (though I doubt you will).

I also recommend getting some new headphones – the earbuds that come with the Coby suck, unless they’ve changed since my model. I got one set that was great but, as all the reviews said (and I sadly ignored), they broke after a couple months’ use. I ended up getting these instead ($9 on Amazon) and they work very well for me. Sound quality is fine (who really cares when jogging?), but more importantly they stay in place as you move and are pretty comfortable.

Flag Post

Thank a lot! That’s dirt cheap and well worth it. =)

Just the kid of thing I’m looking for.

Flag Post

I’m a fairly dedicated middle distance runner and it may just be the shape of my ears but I hate Ipod-style earphones, real pain keeping them in. I recommend either any rubber ear canal earphones or ones which loop round the back of each ear.

Flag Post

If this is your player for running you want cheap and rugged. Don’t go with any player that uses a disk drive, go with a player that uses flash memory.

On the headphone front, I own a pair of Koss in ear headphones . They work great and are dirt cheap. When it comes to DAPs, I own two, one is the Sansa Express 1 GB and the other is vibez 8 GB on the high end.

Both are usb plug and play(they show up as a drive, which you can drag files too) unlike the ipods which require you to use itunes if you want to do anything, there are third party apps but not all work with the latest firmware because apple keeps moving the goal post, so only itunes will work with the lastest/updated ipods, until people figure out what apple changed.

Flag Post

Good stuff. Thanks a lot freyer.

Also I agree with your point Phooltk – the ipod ear phones are a bit of a pain in the arse.

Flag Post

I love my Sansa e280 but if you are looking for reviews of the latest DAP/MP3 players, or if you are seriously into buying a new one, modding or finding out more about them then have a look at anythingbutipod.com (unbiased reviews – apart from not reviewing any ipods), this is where I found out about the Sansa when I brought but I also looked at a lot of reviews all over the internet.

Samsung P2 seems to becoming out at the top. but at the end of the day its all down to personal taste and what you need from the device and how much you money you have.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator