The Space Program page 2

29 posts

Flag Post

@Yreval- bq. allowing traversal of the universe beyond the rate at which light would traditionally be able to traverse it

Isn’t that going faster than the speed of light?

There are many things that would require an “infinite” amout of blank to do. The way to solve it is to find a better way to do it. Not saying there is a better way and definantly not saying I know of one. But we’ve found better ways before. Why couldn’t we know?

Flag Post

It’s not the same – from both a physical and mathematical sense, traveling at a speed above that of light is impossible. While perhaps we’ll eventually be able to utilize wormholes or otherwise manipulate spacetime to our advantage (and thusly create “shortcuts” in the fabric of space – allowing traversal of the universe beyond the rate at which light would traditionally be able to traverse it), traveling at a velocity higher than that of light just doesn’t make sense; it would require literally infinite amounts of energy.

This is based on our knowledge about the world up to this point. We are not right in science. On the contrary, most things we study now in schools are probably wrong, but we study them because that’s the best we know.

Flag Post

Isn’t that going faster than the speed of light?

No, not in the important physics sense. From the human point of view, it’s close enough to be useful.

This is based on our knowledge about the world up to this point. We are not right in science. On the contrary, most things we study now in schools are probably wrong, but we study them because that’s the best we know.

Turmovak, I offer you the Relativity of wrong

Flag Post

It’s shturmovak but nvm :PP

You offer the Relativity of Wrong and I grasp it with both my hands. As I said before that’s the best we know, and we should stick to that.

There are small refinements we should do our theories, and it’s highly possible that in the case of light, they exist.