genetic mutation to stop disease and make people stronger faster and smarter

14 posts

Flag Post

there is a brand new science out,which allows scientist to genetically modify kids when they are in the whom to cure cancer before it happens, and make a stronger, faster, and change the gender. is it rite, what about the economics will there be a new a line between the rich and the poor. So is it good start disscuss.

Flag Post

….change the gender? sex change? like fish? XD

Flag Post

You ought to see the movie Gattica. It deals with this exact concept.

The issue there was, anyone who didn’t have good genes, simply couldn’t succeed. Unlike now, where a lot of money is always a significant boost, but if you give all your effort, and with a bit of talent, you will be successful, but in Gattica, only those with excellent genes and rich parents willing to pay for artificial implanted ones, for example ones that are known to produce Mathematical and Musical talent.

The thing that needs considering here, is imagine you are an unmodified human being, in that you didn’t recieve any optimisation during your mother’s pregnancy, which is extremely uncommon in the time you live in. You will instantly be regected from most professions that you might get into. Why take the committed guy if you can get the guy who’s very genes show they are committed? Essentially, you will become a permanent lower class. No matter how much effort you put in, you will never achieve your goals. That is why the idea of genetic engineering is bad for all things but the removal of genetic flaws.

The problem is though, once you start removing genetic flaws, then people will begin wanting genetic optimisation, leading to what I said above. If it was up to me, there would be only removal of pre-determined flaws, like heart problems, to give everyone, regardless of their genetic makeup an equal chance.

Flag Post

>if you give all your effort, and with a bit of talent, you will be successful

ah, the American dream. This isn’t necessarily true of course, but it’s convenient in a capitalist society for everyone to believe that.

Brave New World has a different and also interesting take to GATTACA on human GM.

Flag Post

wow i had a total turn around of opinions, i was thinking “hey why not, its for the greater good” now im think its awefull. i think that today money plays to big a role in your sucess, just image with this in effect

Flag Post

to the OP: i’d like some sort of source. you don’t even give a name of the treatment so i could look it up myself…

Flag Post

ok, i’m calling b/s.

Flag Post

Believe me, this is no B/S. Just from a zygote (fertilised egg) we can optimise it so only the best genes are the ones used. I am not a biologist (although I wouldn’t mind being one, it’ll certainly be in my elective subjects next year) but this isn’t too difficult to do. It’s the moral minefield that ensures genetic engineering is not going to start on humans any time soon. Just Google genetic engineering, and you should find some interesting blogs and such.

Flag Post

Believe me, this is no B/S. Just from a zygote (fertilised egg) we can optimise it so only the best genes are the ones used. I am not a biologist (although I wouldn’t mind being one, it’ll certainly be in my elective subjects next year) but this isn’t too difficult to do.

Err… okay.

Look around you. This is what we like to call “reality”.

Look at what you wrote. This is what we like to call “fiction”, probably GATTACA

We currently cannot optimize zygotes like you suggested. The human genome has yet to be entirely sequenced, and even if it had been we still haven’t got a bloody clue what genes lead to what traits, except in a very general fashion. There’s some genes that might be linked to intelligence, but then maybe not. There’s some that might be linked to strength, but maybe not.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. However, if anyone thought that this was feasible with modern technology, you’d definitely see people going off to China or somewhere in order to get designer babies.

Flag Post

Einar’s nailed it. As far as I know, the only knowledge we have are what genes are generally linked too what things: A person with gene X132 (made up, FYI) is more likely to be intelligent than a person without it, but the study could have been tainted by other genes that the researchers obviously couldn’t control for without an enormously complex computer code that isolates one gene, and that would require a sample size of a massive number of people just to give a really good lead if it is really that gene acting, on its own, to make you smarter. Basically: The human genome is really big. Even if people with one gene look smarter, it could be because most of them have a certain other gene or group of gene by coincidence, which you can’t figure out while sifting through the data.

Anyway, the only things we can do are some bacterial treatments where a harmless disease is injected with a certain gene. It goes into your body, goes into your cells, and HOPEFULLY that gene is put somewhere that isn’t important. If it is, your death could be slow and painful. Even that treatment is mostly used for genetically grown tomatoes.

I don’t have sources on any of this, so feel free to prove me wrong. This is just my current understanding based on things I think I remember reading.

Flag Post

Well, what they’re talking about here and in GATTACA was to sequence your ova and sperm and only pair together the ones that would produce optimum offspring. There wouldn’t need to be any genetic engineering like what you described. As the guy in the movie says, it’s equivalent to producing a hundred thousand children and only picking out the very best ones.

I personally see nothing wrong with this at all. Every time two humans produce offspring, they’re essentially playing a deranged lottery – you’re most likely to win nothing (normal child), there’s a reasonable possibility that the child will be deformed somehow (mentally or physically), and there’s a very, very small chance that you’ll hit the jackpot and your child will be a supar genius. As far as I can see, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with using technology to make the probability that your child will be a supar genius approach unity. I can’t think of any argument against such a treatment that wouldn’t also cover anyone who was born like this naturally.

I also find that GATTACA’s message was sort of odd. At the very end, the doctor says he and his wife are gonna have a natural child – however, this child will be the product of two people with near-perfect genes. Their offspring will be nearly as perfect as they are. Essentially, because their parents invested in this treatment, their children will benefit from the result.

Flag Post

I can only cheer at the thought that we would be able to cure cancer, for example, but I don’t find it correct to make children faster or stronger or smarter with such a treatment. Let nature have her way.

Flag Post

I also find that GATTACA’s message was sort of odd. At the very end, the doctor says he and his wife are gonna have a natural child – however, this child will be the product of two people with near-perfect genes. Their offspring will be nearly as perfect as they are. Essentially, because their parents invested in this treatment, their children will benefit from the result.

No, the doctor said that his son was a fan of Jared’s, that his son “wasn’t all they promised.”

Flag Post

A low IQ, uncreative child with poor dexterity and build, etc, is at more of a disadvantage than one with diabetes in the modern Western world. If you want to remove diseases but not allow gene optimisation, where should you draw the line?

Incidentally, did anyone read about the blind couple who wanted a blind child, on the basis they considered blindness a cultural difference rather than a disability? Or something very broadly along those lines.