Should we leave these people alone?

77 posts

Flag Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7426794.stm

I say no. We want to keep them untouched because of a sense of sentimentality for primitive ignorance, when we forget the hazards of primitive living. Maybe, just maybe, they’d like some penicillin?

Flag Post

It’s so cute how they brandish their spears and bows to the camera! I say leave ‘em. It’s the closest thing we’ll ever have to a human zoo.

Flag Post

say say we greet them and say we are gods and recreate history!

Flag Post

Why would we want to bother these people? What reason other then the want to bulldoze their land is there to bother them? We think we are just so civilized and need to make “primitive” people just like us. Well they actually wouldn’t need that penicillin if didn’t approach them with diseases they have no immunity to. The only thing that will happen is that some assholes will bring death and disease all in the name of progress or the need to bring them into our just spectacular way of life. Because, of course, our way is the only way and all those who are living different must change their way of life to suit us. Hell why not just take out all cultures considered primitive? Their way of life is just to last century to be allowed to continue. I wonder how, with that multitude of hazards, they managed to survive so long.

How about let them live as they are? Who are they bothering? Why do so called civilized humans beings have the need to downplay and destroy any native or drastically different culture we see. Is it because we think are truly better then they? Because we can go on the internet our way of life and us as people are just better. Maybe, just maybe, our way of life isn’t the only feasible way to live. That seems very hard for some people to comprehend. A life without computers and tv! Without AIDS and pollution! Without running water! Oh my god say it isn’t so! Yes they are missing some good things but things they never had and therefore can’t miss. Leave them in peace.

Flag Post

Why would we want to bother these people? What reason other then the want to bulldoze their land is there to bother them?

To give them the freedom to choose their way of life based on modern technical advancements?

We think we are just so civilized and need to make “primitive” people just like us.

Giving them medicine would not make them “just like us.”

Well they actually wouldn’t need that penicillin if didn’t approach them with diseases they have no immunity to.

So the only thing anyone ever needs antibiotics for are diseases brought by foreigners? I’m sorry to tell you that these people probably have their own sicknesses and disease that we likely have the cures for.

Hell why not just take out all cultures considered primitive? Their way of life is just to last century to be allowed to continue. I wonder how, with that multitude of hazards, they managed to survive so long.

Why must we condemn these people to an eternity of living in straw huts when they have so many other options in the modern world? I say we introduce them to what the world has to offer and let them choose what lifestyle they want. To do otherwise is condescending and selfish.

That seems very hard for some people to comprehend. A life without computers and tv! Without AIDS and pollution! Without running water! Oh my god say it isn’t so! Yes they are missing some good things but things they never had and therefore can’t miss. Leave them in peace.

It’s not that I can’t see the value of their way of life. But right now they’re living in ignorance. If one day they come out of the forest and see the modern world what do you think they’ll say? “Oh God, why couldn’t we have stayed as we were?” or “Oh God! My mother might still be alive today if we had only known!” Let’s treat them like human beings, not zoo animals, and give them the freedom to choose.

Flag Post

They probably have their own version of penicillin, think of all those plants/fungi in the Amazon. I say we approach them in person and try to talk to them – that means no aeroplanes or helicopters. A row boat would be ok I guess.

Flag Post

I say we approach them in person and try to talk to them

In what language?

Flag Post

Sign language (the basic kind from films), photographs, videos, anything but shouting ‘We come in peace’ at them through a megaphone from a chopper.

Flag Post

These people have been living the way they have for a very long time. Who are we to disturb that? We shouldn’t try to “help” them. Leave them alone. There is to much of a culture shock if we try to educate them. Let them live the way they have for the last 3000 years or so. We shouldn’t try to change them just because we can.

Flag Post

It’s really pretty amazing that people still live like this nowadays. If it’s a choice between either contacting them or allowing their environment and way of life to be wiped out, then obviously the former is the way to go. Depending on where exactly they are, it’s possible that climate change will mean they have to change how they live sooner or later anyway, what with drought/flooding, extinctions of the animals they hunt, and spread of disease all possible. I think we’d have a moral obligation to help them if that became a real threat.

Flag Post

These people have been living the way they have for a very long time. Who are we to disturb that?

Compassionate human beings who would rather help these people than stare at them under glass while they live and die in pre-medieval conditions?

Flag Post

They do not realize that they are. If anything, seeing modern humans will just drive them insane. Ever see the movie Gods must be Crazy? Even that is sort of a comedy, it has a very real message towards people like that. It isn’t being compassionate to try to force modern technology on a group of people who will not understand it and will probably die because of it. Should we force the Amish to start using electricity also?

Also, there is a lot of these sorts of people in Africa. Bushmen still do exist.

Flag Post

Actually, according to a recent National Geographic article I read, the Amish actually (but very rarely) use electricity. Mostly electric lightbulbs and things, and they need permission from the…leader, or whatever, but they don’t actually think electricity is evil.

Anyway, the Amish know what they don’t have, while this tribe hasn’t got a clue.

As nice as it sounds to help them, I believe they would be scared stiff to see us coming down in helicopters, and would probably attack us. It would be like an alien invasion for them. Not to mention we can’t speak their tongue, so we can’t inform them that we mean no harm.

Flag Post

That’s an invalid comparison. The Amish know what they’re giving up. Here we’re making that decision for these people, effectively trapping them in their isolated and primitive conditions.

Yes, I’ve seen the Gods Must Be Crazy and it was awesome. But those sorts of movies really romanticize primitive living to probably an outrageous degree. Everyone assumes they’re happy as can be in their little pre-modern bubbles, that given the choice they’d take the potential famine, disease and short life spans over having to check a Blackberry ever few minutes and pay rent. And I say if that’s true, then great. They should be able to live their lives how they want. But by taking that choice from them you’re forcing them to live in a lifestyle you assume is blissful and simple when in fact pre-modern living can be hard, backbreaking and savage.

It’s supposed to be arrogant to assume that our modern world is better than the primitive simplicity of earlier times. I’m sorry, but it is. And if you want no part of it, then that’s absolutely fine. But it’s the height of superiority to assume you can make that decision for a group of people, when they might have real problems we might be able to easily solve if they wanted us to.

Remember, in the Gods Must Be Crazy, it was not technology that brought a curse upon the tribe, it was scarcity – as useful as the coke bottle was, there had been only one. Had there been more, they would have been perfectly happy to make use of it.

Flag Post

I still believe that they will not enjoy the sudden changes. It will probably kill them. It also took us 3000 years to adapt to our technology, we did it naturally. If we just introduce it, it will not work. It never will. There is such a great difference of culture that it just will not work.

Flag Post

Leave them. We’d either steal their land, or give them any number of diseases.

Besides, I love how the brandished their little spears at the plane… Its about as funny as when my dog walks into the glass door.

Flag Post

So basically we are to ignore them, and keep them in perpetual ignorance, never giving them or their children a chance of a better life, because of some sense that we might change their culture?

Flag Post

I think we should put them in zoo’s.

Flag Post

Why destroy a peacefull village. I am thinking of studying them secretly. See how humans would act without our interactions.

Flag Post

Who is we?

Flag Post

Society.

Flag Post

Right now legends are being made there about the gods in iron birds… Maybe we should help them. Even if they are happy, they are happy in this meaningless bubble.

Flag Post

I find it a tremendous arrogance to try and introduce them to a Western way of life on the assumption our lives are superior.

>Even if they are happy, they are happy in this meaningless bubble.

There’s right and wrong types of happiness? ok…

Thing is, we live in a meaningless bubble too.

>To give them the freedom to choose their way of life based on modern technical advancements?

Real life has no blue pill.

Flag Post

This is just another version of globalisation. Which contry should get the privalige of greeting these people? If the Americans did it, they would probley adopt a modern american veiw of the world, and the same for every country. And I think that they are happy with ther way of life, even if it is hard. If we gave them technolodgy, would they have much of a choice to reject it? ignorance is bliss. It would probly divide the village in people who want to be part of the modern world, and people who don’t.

Flag Post

It’s so cute how they brandish their spears and bows to the camera! I say leave ‘em. It’s the closest thing we’ll ever have to a human zoo.

i dont know whether to laugh or fight someone, but seeing as its greg, ill laugh. laughs

Even if they are happy, they are happy in this meaningless bubble.

yehh, phooltk is right. we have no idea what other life is out there, were a meaningless bubble. But ims ure if we did know what life was out there we’d be under invasion and unhappy. so perhaps the meaningless bubbles, are when life-forms are there happiest