Searching Existing Topics

40 posts

Flag Post

Since searching our forums is not the easiest thing to do, you can use the following methods to utilize Google to search the Serious Discussion forums.

While it’s still not the greatest method and suffers some very obvious shortcomings, it should at least help out some of you; particularly when you wish to create a new topic. I find this method a lot better than using the internal site search when it comes to searching a specific forum.


Search Provider For Your Browser (OpenSearch format)

Click the above link then click the “Kongregate SD Forums” link to install. It’s just an XML file that you can manage with your browser. Tested on Firefox 4 and IE9 succesfully; should work on others as well.


Bookmark

You can optionally create a bookmark in your browser that prompts you to enter a search term, without installing a search provider.

1. Create a new bookmark in your browser. How you do so will vary, but the easiest way may be for you to bookmark the current page, then modify the new bookmark.

2. Copy and paste the following code into the location field in the bookmark options:

javascript:Qr=prompt('Search%20Serious%20Discussion%20for','');location.href='http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.kongregate.com/forums/9/+'+escape(Qr);

The following is what this looks like in Firefox 4:

3. Position the bookmark on your toolbar or another convenient location.

4. Click it and it will generate a popup window, where you can enter you’re search term and press enter.

Your browser may optionally allow the results to be displayed in a sidebar.


Google Search Link

Click the above, type in a space and a search term after /9/ and hit enter. This is the method used by the search provider and javascript bookmark.


Forgive me if there are any errors, I put this together fairly quickly.

 
Flag Post

[reserved]

 
Flag Post

Sadly people will just keep creating new threads…

Good intentions though.

 
Flag Post

aC…I’m not arguing AGANIST your offering,,,,,nor the idea for which it is offered.
In fact, I do think a modicum of effort to find & read previous offerings on an issue one has interest in is a reasonably good idea.

Rather, I’m parroting someones previous thought that: If that much effort need be made to “continue some new thinking on an issue”…then, perhaps it is time to “start afresh”.

I don’t see much “harm” if a thread is started on an issue that was covered “eons” ago. If it has merit and interest today….it will be active. If not, it will merely “fade away”. Of course….the OP should NOT bump his own thread (well, maybe once…lol).

I say this because possibly tacking a new response to an old thread would likely cause readers to feel//have a need to delve deeply back into previous posts. A “fresh” thread on the issue might elicit some fresh thinking….thinking unbiased by the “old” of the old thread.

Besides…..how many threads on religion are there? I see little difference in starting a new thread on a religious issue than simply adding a “new thought” to ANY existing one. As I said….if the “new thought” has merit….it will draw appropriate responses.

Fershur…there are going to be new threads that DO NEED to be moved to an existing one,,,,esp. if the existing one is on the first page. LOL

 
Flag Post

Most threads on topics already covered (but a while ago) do no harm at all… and the old ones invariably get cluttered and far removed from the original post anyway.

But relating to this topic… how hard would it be for Kong to make a decent forum format that allowed proper searching? Seems odd that such a top site has a forum barely a step up – and in some cases a step down – from a basic PHPBB.

Obviously it looks nicer than one of those, but functionally I’ve never really taken to it.

 
Flag Post

A perfect comment of the “status” of most older threads.

That’s not to say that such “wanderings” are wrong….
esp. when the OP seems to have pretty much been “talked to death”.
After all,,,,,,MOST ANY discussion (of a civil nature) that is in-the-ball-park of a serious tone can’t be all that bad.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

But relating to this topic… how hard would it be for Kong to make a decent forum format that allowed proper searching? Seems odd that such a top site has a forum barely a step up – and in some cases a step down – from a basic PHPBB.

This forum is unlikely to be php based, considering php executes relatively slowly, and this forum receives a lot of visitors. Kong would have to set aside several dedicated computers if a forum of this popularity (all forums on kong) was php based.

Most likely its a dedicated, compiled CGI. C, C++, or similar. Its never straightforward to edit those. One change and you have to recompile the whole thing.

 
Flag Post

I don’t believe I mentioned anything about my intent or about issues with new or old threads. My post was pretty simple and clear in it’s intent; please don’t muddy it up. This was posted simply to make it easier to browse through existing topics, for whatever your personal reason.

how hard would it be for Kong to make a decent forum format that allowed proper searching?

It would have been done in the beginning if it was easy.

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post

This will be very useful, thank you.

 
Flag Post

Yeah..It was a good intention. They have given us cool information.

 
Flag Post

 
Flag Post

Not sure where this goes, but I’d like to see a profile stat indicating how many posts that user has started (and what they are). I think it would be useful for demonstrating the usual level of quality in a given user’s argument, as well as what their views seem to be. The standard way to do that is by going through any post they make, which can give the wrong impression if the last posts the user made was a heated or frustrated exchange with another user.

I think this would have the immediate benefit of reducing the number of troll accusations spewed back and forth whenever users disagree over a topic, and it would also help new users figure out who’s who, or if a user hasn’t posted in a long time. It should apply to all kong forums, not just SD.
 
Flag Post

You’re going to have to speak to an admin about it, unfortunately, Jantonaitis. Speaking directly to one is more likely to get your feedback heard.

 
Flag Post

Which admin would you recommend laxara?

 
Flag Post

Likewise, I don’t know where this goes. (Maybe there should be a questions thread?)

I posted a thread called “Basilica: Evolution at its Finest?”, but it got locked, and I don’t know why…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Main_Zinc:

Sadly people will just keep creating new threads…

Good intentions though.

People create new threads because posting on a coment with 2000 other posts basicly ensures that nobody will see what they think, especially scince threads get so off topic.

 
Flag Post

Why don’t you just add a search box for the forums?

 
Flag Post

Exactly. Doing this;

Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Since searching our forums is not the easiest thing to do, you can use the following methods to utilize Google to search the Serious Discussion forums.

While it’s still not the greatest method and suffers some very obvious shortcomings, it should at least help out some of you; particularly when you wish to create a new topic. I find this method a lot better than using the internal site search when it comes to searching a specific forum.


Search Provider For Your Browser (OpenSearch format)

Click the above link then click the “Kongregate SD Forums” link to install. It’s just an XML file that you can manage with your browser. Tested on Firefox 4 and IE9 succesfully; should work on others as well.


Bookmark

You can optionally create a bookmark in your browser that prompts you to enter a search term, without installing a search provider.

1. Create a new bookmark in your browser. How you do so will vary, but the easiest way may be for you to bookmark the current page, then modify the new bookmark.

2. Copy and paste the following code into the location field in the bookmark options:

javascript:Qr=prompt('Search%20Serious%20Discussion%20for','');location.href='<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.kongregate.com/forums/9/+'+escape(Qr)" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.kongregate.com/forums/9/+'+escape(Qr)&lt;/a&gt;;

The following is what this looks like in Firefox 4:

3. Position the bookmark on your toolbar or another convenient location.

4. Click it and it will generate a popup window, where you can enter you’re search term and press enter.

Your browser may optionally allow the results to be displayed in a sidebar.


Google Search Link

Click the above, type in a space and a search term after /9/ and hit enter. This is the method used by the search provider and javascript bookmark.


Forgive me if there are any errors, I put this together fairly quickly.

will take way too long. If there is a search, we will save our time typing it, not reading the information and doing so. I don’t prefer searching, any-what. I don’t need help, and don’t take time searching through all of the forums. I just go on random ones and do what needs to be done.

 
Flag Post

You do realise that arcaneCoder’s post described multiple ways to search the forums?

Picking out the last one, how is clicking on that link, typing one space and then typing what you would like to search for too complicated for you?

 
Flag Post

Submission: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/9-serious-discussion/topics/237446-propaganda-enforce-or-condemn

 
Flag Post

I can’t search liberally- the search engine is rather dysfunctional at times- for topics, but at least I am no longer fettered to impending doom. My manacles have been loosened, although not removed altogether.

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post

i agree but dont keep high exspectation

 
Flag Post

igreee in a way i think it should do