We should let the old and weak die? Or not? page 2

88 posts

Flag Post

We have a right to live, not an obligation. If you are in a living hell such as described in the OP, I think you should have the right to end it. Who are we to force a person to go trough years of slow and painfull death?

Flag Post
Originally posted by kirdaiht:

We have a right to live, not an obligation. If you are in a living hell such as described in the OP, I think you should have the right to end it. Who are we to force a person to go trough years of slow and painfull death?

It’s okay if the suffering person asks for it. If he can’t communicate his wills, then it must be assumed that he wants to live as long as possible, no matter how badly he suffers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Beryllium8:

It’s okay if the suffering person asks for it. If he can’t communicate his wills, then it must be assumed that he wants to live as long as possible, no matter how badly he suffers.

Why?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Flypurplehamster:

Why?

Because death is irreversible. Until someone dies, there is always the chance of recovery: a very small chance, but a chace nevertheless. Killing somebody because they’re in a bad position is akin to shooting a man caught under a building. It is little more than murder.

Flag Post

We have a right to live, not an obligation. If you are in a living hell such as described in the OP, I think you should have the right to end it. Who are we to force a person to go trough years of slow and painful death?

Why?

Because death is irreversible. Until someone dies, there is always the chance of recovery: a very small chance, but a chance nevertheless. Killing somebody because they’re in a bad person is akin to shooting a man caught under a building. It is little more than murder.

There are many times and situations where one must be a proxy.
A death decision is NOT one of them…..as least to be taken in ANY SENSE lightly.
Beryllium has it right.

AND, just as this personal decision should be inviolable for others to make it…..
so should it be just as sacred for one to make it for them self.
This can be accomplished in many ways.
A living will is one of the better for those times when one becomes uncommunicative. Esp. the DNR clause.

If what happens to ya is all that important…
THEN, for gawd’s sake…..make it known what ya want,,,
AND, put some LEGAL teeth in it.

Flag Post

Why?

Because death is irreversible. Until someone dies, there is always the chance of recovery: a very small chance, but a chace nevertheless. Killing somebody because they’re in a bad position is akin to shooting a man caught under a building. It is little more than murder.

So spend money, for fear of a possibility that they might want to live, because we cannot ever let someone die, even when it happens all the time?

Flag Post

Why?

So spend money, for fear of a possibility that they might want to live, because we cannot ever let someone die, even when it happens all the time?

Pretty much, yeah. The right to live cannot be taken away.

Flag Post

The right to live cannot be taken away.

Perhaps… Who or what gives the right to live anyway….

Flag Post

Beryllium, you missed the sarcasm. America lets people die constantly, in our militaries and ghettos.

Flag Post

Beryllium, you missed the sarcasm. America lets people die constantly, in our militaries and ghettos.

We try to save people, but sometimes, our best isn’t good enough. That’s no reason to stop trying, though.

And, @Aneslayer, it’s the very foundation of the original principles of my home nation: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Note that first one: life. If killing a sick patient is okay, then why can’t we go on homicidal rampages killing everybody who fell victim to a catastrophe and resulting poverty?

Flag Post

We have a right to live, not an obligation. If you are in a living hell such as described in the OP, I think you should have the right to end it. Who are we to force a person to go trough years of slow and painful death?

Why?

Because death is irreversible. Until someone dies, there is always the chance of recovery: a very small chance, but a chance nevertheless. Killing somebody because they’re in a bad position is akin to shooting a man caught under a building. It is little more than murder.

Absloutely….and, I’m talking about LOTS of money,,,,
usually money the person doesn’t have.

A-FUCKING-GIN…this is why a LIVING WILL is sooooooooooooooooo important.
Why put your family in the position of having to decide between “pulling-the-plug”—thereby being $$$$$ sane—and prolonging a life that is, for all accounts, on it’s “way out the door” anyway?

I’d suck off a shotgun before I’d rob MY precious family of $$$$$ I worked my ass off for so THEY could benefit from it…..NOT ME in some fucking bed in pain, soiling myself, out of my mind (not knowing who anyone is), etc. spending it on wildly expensive medical care.

Guys….it’s a simple case of diminishing returns
Live life to its fullest….EVERY FUCKING DAY.
Stay away from BORING things…..do what ya luv doing.
AND, when the end is near….embrace it, be at peace w/ it.
Cuz, ya know full well that ya “let it all on the field”.
Don’t be childish and make others “suffer” cuz ya somehow think ya can “buy” immortality.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Why?

Because death is irreversible. Until someone dies, there is always the chance of recovery: a very small chance, but a chance nevertheless. Killing somebody because they’re in a bad position is akin to shooting a man caught under a building. It is little more than murder.

A-FUCKING-GIN…this is why a LIVING WILL is sooooooooooooooooo important.
Why put your family in the position of having to decide between “pulling-the-plug”—thereby being $$$$$ sane—and prolonging a life that is, for all accounts, on it’s “way out the door” anyway?

I’d suck off a shotgun before I’d rob MY precious family of $$$$$ I worked my ass off for so THEY could benefit from it…..NOT ME in some fucking bed in pain, soiling myself, out of my mind (not knowing who anyone is), etc. spending it on wildly expensive medical care.

Guys….it’s a simple case of diminishing returns
Live life to its fullest….EVERY FUCKING DAY.
Stay away from BORING things…..do what ya luv doing.
AND, when the end is near….embrace it, be at peace w/ it.
Cuz, ya know full well that ya “let it all on the field”.
Don’t be childish and make others “suffer” cuz ya somehow think ya can “buy” immortality.

Because I value life over money.

Flag Post

We try to save people, but sometimes, our best isn’t good enough. That’s no reason to stop trying, though.

And, @Aneslayer, it’s the very foundation of the original principles of my home nation: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Note that first one: life. If killing a sick patient is okay, then why can’t we go on homicidal rampages killing everybody who fell victim to a catastrophe and resulting poverty?

No, we don’t. If we did, half our budget wouldn’t go to “killing people”.

Flag Post

No, we don’t. If we did, half our budget wouldn’t go to “killing people”.

It goes to defense. To prevent others from killing us.

Flag Post

That’s the advertised reason, but we both know that plenty of Americans die trying to kill others.

Why does human life have so much value?

Flag Post

That’s the advertised reason, but we both know that plenty of Americans die trying to kill others.

Would you like it if a guy came in this night and killed all your friends and loved ones?

Flag Post

Would you like it if a guy came in this night and killed all your friends and loved ones?

No, because I like them lots. My loved ones, however, are not much fun while they are brain-dead. So, assuming they aren’t recovering, I’d ask for euthanasia.

We both know that plenty of Americans die trying to kill others.

So what’s the value of human life again?

Flag Post

No, because I like them lots. My loved ones, however, are not much fun while they are brain-dead. So, assuming they aren’t recovering, I’d ask for euthanasia.

So, if your mother had Alzheimer’s, you would stop loving her? You make me sick.

Flag Post

Your family just made me face-palm so hard.

The hypocritical-ness of your family is terrible.

Example:

She cannot die because she has lived such a great life.

Your family is acting like a child would when they found out their pet had to be put down because it ate anti freeze and can’t move (i’ve been there).

I’m not insulting your family, I just think they’re acting selfish and childish. Honestly, if I had the choice between months in the hospital, in horrible pain, not being able to move, and hooked up to about 100 different devices or death, i’d pick death. Your grandmother appears to as well.

I doubt it’s your grandmother who said it because i’m pretty sure that if it appears as if someone wants to kill a patient, the hospital has the right to prevent that individual from seeing the patient.

Every person should have the right to end their life.

Although your family want to do what’s best for your grandmother, they’re doing the exact opposite
If I heard any talk in the next 60 years of my family putting me in a nursing home or anything of the sort… see ya, i’m taking a flying leap. This situation must be very infuriating and sad for you, and especially, your grandmother.

My conclusion:

I believe every human being should have the right to decide their own fate, no matter what their family wants. I think that assisted suicide should be allowed also, but some other thing should be implemented to ensure that it really was assisted suicide and not a flat out murder.

Suicide also shouldn’t be allowed in public.

Flag Post

So, if your mother had Alzheimer’s, you would stop loving her? You make me sick.

If my mother had Alzhiemer’s, that would be awful for everyone. Imagine yourself getting stupider and stupider, irreversibly. My mom would probably rather die.

Flag Post

Mercy killing is no different than murder. It’s ending a life without consent of the victim..

Flag Post

Mercy killing is no different than murder. It’s ending a life without consent of the victim..

However, there is still a difference between the two, so don’t call them equivalent.

Flag Post

So?

So it’s wrong. Easy as that.

Flag Post

So?

So it’s wrong. Easy as that.

Or not. Murder is different from mercy killing, even if they do share similar traits. After all, in mercy killing, the dying one is suffering, and ending suffering is generally good.

Flag Post

I don’t have friends. I don’t love my loved ones that much. I prefer doing what I love.