Why are you Atheist?

3495 posts

Flag Post

There has been a lot of debate on this forum about religion. In these debates I have noticed there are a lot of atheists on Kongregate. My question is to you atheists: What led you to atheism, Why are you atheist now and your thoughts on the future without religion. If you are not atheist, post your views on atheism with respect to your own belief system.

Flag Post

I’m not atheit, but they have more of my respect than most orginized religions. I think that a lot of people become atheist by just looking at the religion as if they were an outsider. You start noticing a lot things that help you form an opinion, and as soon as you have a basic outline, it just leads you to a more logical belief that, “I’m ______ because my parents are.” For many people, it is athiesm, for even more is agnosticism.

Flag Post

I find athiests make the same assumptions most theists make. They make general assumptions on a topic they can’t begin to fully understand, and then claim it’s 100% true. I’m never content to believe in anything 100%, and as a result, I’m agnostic.

Though I’m ashamed to say many people claim to be athiest because it makes them look or seem more intelligent. If you can corner and athiest and get them to contradict themselves, or fumble over a simple logic test, it’s a bandwagon athiest. Those people annoy me beyond all others. The people that claim beliefs they don’t even understand, and cannot possibly defend, for the sake of being cool, or intelligent looking.

Flag Post

Not an atheist.

Atheists are fine unless they push their views on me and insist they’re always right and God is a joke. At that point, they’re almost as bad as the wacko-christians that force their views on everyone.

Flag Post

Simply put, I’m an atheist because I can not bring myself to truely believe there is any kind of God as we call them.

Flag Post

Kasha4890, I find your evaluation a bit harsh – after all, you could make the exact same claim in your second paragraph, using “Christian” or “Jew” or any other religion in place of “atheist”.

Most believers in anything are of the bandwagon variety – it is nothing particular to atheism.

Flag Post

One thing I don’t understand about athiests, as said by kasha, is how they can argue against religions, and then do the same thing. I don’t understand how someone can say they have no proof for god, then say there has to be no god. Thats why I find agnostics overall smarter than atheists.

Flag Post

True, but athiesm is the most common one to pick to appear “intelligent”. It’s misunderstood by a large number of it’s “members”(appropriate term I hope). Instead people just say “oh I’m an athiest” but the moment you question them on their beliefs, you see just how flawed they’re beliefs truly are.

I accept that one could be a bandwagon christian, or jew, but athiests are often grouped as a whole to be more intelligent and rational than thiests(not to say thiests are irrational. I know plenty of intelligent rational thiests. The assumption[sorry for this] is that athiests are usually the intelligent ones, and thiests are not. People latch onto that assumption and use it to appear “cool”. It’s a poorly conceived idea, but it’s present all the same.). Because of this, people pretend to be athiests more often then they pretend to be christian.

Though, in all of this, I have only assumptions =P

No factual evidence or support of any kind. Simply my own observations of my relatively small town, which in no way represents the whole of humanity =P

Edit: Had to.

bq One thing I don’t understand about athiests, as said by kasha, is how they can argue against religions, and then do the same thing. I don’t understand how someone can say they have no proof for god, then say there has to be no god. Thats why I find agnostics overall smarter than atheists.

He finds agnostics smarter than athiests. That’s not supported by factual evidence of any kind. but it’s still accepted as true by most people. Soon we’ll have bandwagon agnostics eyeroll.

Flag Post

I think it’s just the use of Occam’s Razor to believe in the possibility that makes fewest assumptions as to why people say they’re atheist instead of agnostic. There’s no empirical proof one way or the other. They might also claim to be atheist because they don’t believe in Christianity, or whatever religion they were raised as a member of, and haven’t been exposed to other religions. Might also lack the vocabulary or knowledge to express beliefs like pantheism, or indeed agnosticism.

I mean I’m functionally atheist because I don’t go to church or pray etc., but I say I’m agnostic because it just seems silly to completely discount the existence of a god, even if I don’t ‘believe’ in it. ‘Nontheism’ probably covers it. It really doesn’t affect my life either way,

Flag Post

Kasha,

I don’t have any personal experience to either refute or deny what you say vis a vis atheism and the perception of intelligence, so I won’t venture an opinion either way.

What I will say, is that the reasons for being a bandwagon-member of religion X are perhaps different but just as powerful. I read a fascinating study in university pointing to the fact that the members who rated themselves as only “somewhat affiliated” with an organized religion were also the least tolerant of those holding different views, while both those indicating “no affiliation” or “strong affiliation” to a particular religion were both very tolerant of differing views.

The conclusion the author of the study drew, and I have to agree, is that people who feel they are loosely affiliated with a particular religion do so more for reasons of being able to define boundaries, separating “We” from “The Other” if you will, than for reasons of spirituality.

Flag Post

^^ I do see that alot of the intelligent athiests on the SD forums also state what they agree with more like Secular Humanism, etc. Most porminantly in the Religion poll, where almost every athiest stated something besides, “athiest.” But on the flip side, alot of the sub 100 posts members just say “athiest” in their post.

Flag Post

Sounds pretty interesting indeed mrjake.

Do you still have that study? I’d honestly enjoy reading that.

Flag Post

I really wish I did – it was one of the highpoints of my studies. I only had it on a photocopied set of papers the professor passed out, and I wish I’d taken better care of them now.

I’ll let you know if I can find the study anywhere online.

Flag Post

Aww =\

Thanks anyways =]

Flag Post

Because they have no or lost faith in god.

Flag Post

Because they have no or lost faith in god.

Probably because they don’t believe god exist in the first place… You can’t really have faith in something you don’t believe in to begin with.

Flag Post

Yeah your right

Flag Post

I think I’ll tweak the answer to suit me a bit.

Why were you Atheist?

I was an Atheist because I assumed that religion was just.. religion. It was something people believed in to suit their own needs. So they could judge others. So they could say they were perfect.

Flag Post

What led you to atheism, Why are you atheist now and your thoughts on the future without religion.

Science and logic, I guess. It is really hard to say because it is a gradual change that took place over the time. The more I learn about science, the more I find it hard to accept that all these events and happenings are due to the work of a higher being (a.k.a god).

If there is no religion in the future, things might remain as it were. There will not be wars fought on religious grounds but people would still go to war nonetheless, if not for the same reason. People never changes and so do wars.

Flag Post

I was an Atheist because I assumed that religion was just.. religion. It was something people believed in to suit their own needs. So they could judge others. So they could say they were perfect.

You don’t know nothing ’bout religion!

:D

If there is no religion in the future, things might remain as it were. There will not be wars fought on religious grounds but people would still go to war nonetheless, if not for the same reason. People never changes and so do wars.

There will be no wars in the future because of MAD.

Flag Post

Out of topic, but here goes…

There will be no wars in the future because of MAD.

MAD does not prevent people from going to war. It simply makes people think twice about deploying weapons of mass destruction.

Flag Post

I’m an atheist because:

1) Christians just piss me off with their arrogant, close-minded beliefs trying to force me to join them. So I become an atheist to convey my hatred towards them.
ex.
Christian: you must believe in God or you will go to hell
Me: what about the rest of the religions? Buddhism? Hinduism? etc
Christian: They’re lost.
Me: what….?
Christian: God is real and God is true. You must believe in him.

2) I would in a heartbeat believe that God exists if he shows me sufficient evidence or some sort of miracle that no science or anything can explain it. Or even, all God need to do is simply mention “Google”, or “Youtube”, or anything in the bible that can prove he’s actually omniscient and can foresee the future. Of course he can mention that the world’s going to end but.. thats just way too broad.

3) I believe this whole idea of religion is just a method of control from men of power, filling in the blanks (how world’s created), and something we can lean towards during our shitty times (hope; life after death)

Flag Post

Yes, well okay I’ll change that.

There will be no wars in the future because of MAD, except those started by mentally insane people (as opposed to pyshically insane).

Flag Post

1) Christians just piss me off with their arrogant, close-minded beliefs trying to force me to join them. So I become an atheist to convey my hatred towards them.

yeah, no. don’t generalize. you’ll just piss off people with actual thoughts of their own.

Why are you atheist now and your thoughts on the future without religion.

atheism is religion though. its a set of beliefs, or thoughts on the subject of that matter. basically the only way to get out of the religion religious clause is to believe that everything is essentially non-existent and that would be pretty hard to logically believe.

Flag Post

Collins English Dictionary says

religion n system of belief in and worship of a supernatural power or god

So no it’s not