The Flying Spaghetti Monster

43 posts

Flag Post

What are your thoughts on the Flying Spaghetti Monster? In my opinion, there is less proof for most religions than Pastafarianism. If you don’t know what that is, go to this site http://www.venganza.org/.

Flag Post

I don’t think people really believe in it… It’s just a joke based on a South Park episode.

Flag Post

I know that, but I wonder if there is anybody who is outraged by it. And there might be someone who does believe it. The internet is a very big place.

Flag Post

It is a joke based on a joke… I doubt anyone is going to be offended by a religion copied from a television show.

Flag Post

FSM basically serves as an illustration to use when trying to educate people who believe there’s evidence for the existence of a supreme being. That’s it. It’s not a religion, anyone calling themselves a pastafarian is probably an atheist/agnostic with a sense of humour.

Flag Post

Mildly funny, but dumb. Seriously. And I’m saying this as a relatively non-religious person.

The reasons for people having faith in any particular religious tradition have very little to do with the ease with which one can construct a sham one.

Flag Post

LOL FLYING SPAAGGHEEHTI MONSTERRR SO WACCKY!!!@@ HAY GUYZ IMA PASTAFARIAN LOL!

Flag Post

May you be touched by his noodley appendages.

Flag Post

Lol, I remember this thing being used as an opening for the discussion of evolution in my bio 11 class.

Flag Post

I don’t think people really believe in it… It’s just a joke based on a South Park episode.

i’m pretty sure the south park episode was based on the FSM joke, not the other way round. The Church of the FSM was founded in 2005 by its prophet Bobby Henderson to protest the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to require the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to biological evolution.

Flag Post

It’s just a basic point to show, all religions have the same amount of evidence as the flying spaghetti monster.

Flag Post

It’s just a basic point to show, all religions have the same amount of evidence as the flying spaghetti monster.

Yeah all religions suck and no one can prove anything. Science is my new religion.

Flag Post

Yeah all religions suck and no one can prove anything. Science is my new religion.

Science should be exactly the opposite of blind faith, but maybe people just want to believe in something.

About the FSM: Funny shit, they made a good point.

Flag Post

In my opinion, there is less proof for most religions than Pastafarianism.

In my opinion, religion isn’t about who has more proof. It is about faith. If you make or believe a ‘religion’ solely to spite others, you are really no better than those religious people who insult others who hold differing or uncertain beliefs.

Flag Post

I disagree. FSM isn’t made to insult the other religions, but is instead a rhetorical point about the validity of religions in modern thought and education. It serves no place, and doesn’t belong. God is just as ridiculous to science as FSM is.

Flag Post

In my opinion, there is less proof for most religions than Pastafarianism.

This is an absurd statement. Pastafarianism has no proof and is an admitted hoax. It may have just as much evidence as other religions, but it certainly doesn’t have more.

Additionally, as far as I know, no one actually takes the FSM seriously. It was a protest, as has been mentioned before (and thank you for correcting them – it was most certainly not based on the South Park episode), and it served it’s purpose well. Now people have latched on to it as a symbol of logic and reason, admittedly poking fun at other religions.

Flag Post

TheBSG – I am not saying the premise is wrong per se. The way you state it is fine; to adopt it as a method of proving the ‘foolishness’ of religion in general is wrong as I see it.

a rhetorical point about the validity of religions in modern thought and education.

If you say science specifically then sure, but I do see many ways religion can fit quite well into modern thought and education in general.

Flag Post

Right.

Flag Post

This is an absurd statement. Pastafarianism has no proof and is an admitted hoax. It may have just as much evidence as other religions, but it certainly doesn’t have more.

but it does have a more logical approach to contradictions, because they state that facts that seem to contradict Pastafarianism are deliberately created by the FSM to deceive the heathens. pretty funny stuff.

Flag Post

Ramen my brothers… Ramen.

Flag Post

The part about the FSM drinking when he created the earth seems to make more sense than other religions, you would think an omnipotent being could do better than our world.

Flag Post

Wow. I love the irony in the opening letter. It sounds like most other religions, and any Christians who can prove me wrong by contrasting the two gets a cookie.

Flag Post

I have now been converted.

Anyone know where to get a good pirate suit?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aaron_:

South Park did NOT invent the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Flag Post

the statement " I don’t believe in God just like I don’t believe in the flying spaghetti monster" is a big fat fallacy. First off it is a false analogy(for example is the flying spaghetti monster credited with creating the universe and being omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent?) ( is God credited for being a big hunk of spaghetti?), second it is a straw man argument. rather than focusing on God he focuses on the flying spaghetti monster and how ridiculous a flying spaghetti monster is. He also uses a lot of humor in his writing with makes it more appealing.