Quote Discussion, Current quote: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” page 23

815 posts

Flag Post

Edison vs. Tesla.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dartval:

This quote’s discussion has died down, so here is the next one:

“Hell does not exist to punish sinners. Hell exists to ensure that no one sins.”

-Jun’ya Ota

My opinion on this quote is that just the threat of a negative consequence can discourage an action. Sort of like how the best weapon is one you don’t need to fire.

No best weapon is the one you need to fire once.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:

No, the best weapon is the one you don’t have to use.

Anyway, back to the current quote.

Originally posted by slasher:

Edison vs. Tesla.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Edison vs. Tesla.

Flag Post

Edison vs. Tesla.

That weapon doesn’t exist and will never exist.
Unless its use leads to total annihilation of everything, including the user, in which case it arguably wouldn’t be the best one.

Flag Post

New quote:

“It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.”

~Helen Keller

Flag Post

seeing is wasted on the sighted.

Flag Post

You can see, meaning you are aware of the world around you. However, you are incapable of seeing what isn’t yet there. In other words you cannot look into the future and see what might be there, or where something might go.

An example might be a factory worker, who is aware of the current way things are done, but is unable to comprehend changing the way things are done in order to increase productivity. They can visualise the current processes, but cannot take that visualisation and alter it in their head, to see what could be done instead.

Flag Post

Perhaps there are two quotes that somewhat address the current one of Dartval.

One “Some men see things as they are and ask why I dream things that never were and ask why not”

Since I am a devotee of the “triumvirate” event of nature,,,
I think there is a 3rd parameter that could (should?) be tacked on.
“Many men don’t even bother to look at things at all and if they did, would hardly think of even asking why.”

The # one quote & my addendum would be demonstrated by:
Two There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened.

I think I’ll toss in a little something more:
" Let your dreams be bigger than your fears, your actions louder than your words, and your faith stronger than your feelings."

Related: “Never let your memories be greater than your dreams”
This one is engraved on a key ring fob I carry w/ me.
I also have inexpensive coins similar to my fob that I give to ppl should conversation w/ them merit so doing.

One that is at the front of my mind ALWAYS: “It’s NOT what happens TO you that matters so much in life…it’s what you DO about it that tells the merit of your mettle.”

My apologies, Dartval, if I somehow “crashed your party” by my use of quotes to comment on yours.

Flag Post

New quote:

“Placed in the middle am I, is it futile to try to be separate as one?”

~T Stebbins

A little bit of background: This is from a song. The song is a reference to a character from a game. This character is a person who is basically split between two very different lives. She is neither one or the other, but somewhere in the middle. There are no others like her besides her own ancestors who are in the middle of the two opposites. What those two opposites are, I’ll leave up to your interpretation.

Flag Post

One cannot function independently, either due to direct repercussions or overhanging reciprocation in the long haul, as distinguishing himself from the corresponding community in the absence of opportunities. All in all considered, i don`t find this citation very meaningful. However, i might have missed something in my analysis

Flag Post

I guess that quote didn’t really work out. Time for a new one.

“He who is not a good servant will not be a good master.”

~Plato

Flag Post

mr. Broad-shouldered the wrestler did more advocacy of obediance to authority. this seems like “obeying is good for you”.

but maybe i’m undercrediting a little. they had master-pupil relationships in Greece (well Athens anyhow), that’s how the intellectuals worked. these relationships were often (homo)sexually consummated as well…heh. anyway, maybe he just made a point about judge of character, like how people say “to judge a man’s character, look at his friends”.

Flag Post

Perhaps it is intended to be along the lines of the master saying: I wouldn’t ask of//expect my men to do anything I wouldn’t myself be able//willing to do.

This part might very well hinge on the concept that the master has a very deep knowledge//understanding of the life//role of the servant….either by strong empathetic skills or having actually lived as a servant for a considerable amount of time.

Flag Post

This is a saying I’m quite familiar with from a practical standpoint, and it is quite true. Anyone unable to deal with the pressures involved in being subservient to another, is going to be unable to impose those same pressures on themselves, and stick to them – the process known as mastery of the self.

If they are unable to master themselves, how can they then be the master of another?

Flag Post

New quote:

“The most effective way to kill an opponent is to slice through the man next to him”

~real world source unknown

Flag Post

these video game quotes may not work too well, as they often rely on context that we don’t know, and which may involve game-mechanics which aren’t very serious discussiony.

Flag Post

New quote:

“The most effective way to kill an opponent is to slice through the man next to him”

Da fuq did I just read

Flag Post

New quote:

Da fuq did I just read

That quote’s from League of Legends.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champions/86/garen_the_might_of_demacia

What exactly are we discussing, OP?

Flag Post

I think what that is saying, is it is easy to kill the opposition by that method, not necessarily the person behind the opposition. Its a kind of psychological attrition method of attack, where instead of targeting the person who opposes you, you kill someone random near that opposing voice, every time they open their mouth to oppose you.

By doing this, the person in opposition to you knows that every time they speak out, they will get another random person killed and will have to watch them die. Over time, this makes them less and less likely to speak out against you.

It also avoids the martyr complex. Instead of killing the person at the height of their opposition – thus making them a martyr for the cause – you force them to wind down their opposition, making them less and less a person of import, until you reach the point where their death would have no positive effect on other followers of the cause at all.

A related tactic is often used in hostage situations. In those, if a hostage moves, the hostage next to them is killed. Many people are willing to risk their own lives, whilst far fewer are willing to risk the lives of others. Far fewer still are willing to see someone else die on their behalf, in front of them, a second or third time.

Flag Post

that would so not work on me.

Flag Post

I’m going to change the quote a little early.

“Follow love and it will flee, flee love and it will follow thee.”

~John Gay

Flag Post

Bitches be crazy.

Flag Post

Bitches be crazy.

LOL…grasshopper.

A watched pot is slower to boil.

Man chases woman until she catches him.

That which is deeply desired already has you as its prisoner.

If ya want someone to like ya….don’t be “easy to get”.

Aaaahhh…love,,,,ain’t it grand.

Flag Post

If you actually think about love and try to get it too hard, you will get lost trying. If you just simply ignore it, excuse my french, but bitches ’ll be mirin.