Creation vs. Evolution page 27

763 posts

Flag Post

Moon
Well, I don’t quote POSTS.
But I recently learned how to bq. parts of it. :D

BSG
I can’t live in a dual world like DR suggests – having “scientific” and “religious” beliefs separately.
Thus, I’m looking for their synthesis.
So far, no problem ever was left unsolved.

Flag Post

Well, I don’t quote POSTS.
But I recently learned how to bq. parts of it. :D

As you like.

Originally posted by TheBSG:

I don’t disagree with anything you just said Moon, and it is pretty much exactly how I view religion. I quite love studying religion for the values I gain from those exact discussions. It’s when a theist attempts to compel me that these things and parables they have discerned must be true, and satisfy all the laws of physics and evolution. It just isn’t necessary.

What you are referring to is exactly why I am now an agnostic. In my opinion I think that the extreme forms of bias held by certain theists is what creates the tension between science and religion. There’s absolutely no rational reason, for example, for it to be anti-religious to study the theory of evolution.

Flag Post

So, give me a live dino!
You can’t?
So who said science IS right – if you can’t prove it FIRST-HAND?

As a general comment towards everyone, this is not criticism of science, but rather a personal choice to reject certain types of evidence. This is not how science works.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:
Originally posted by MyTie:

The problem I have with this is “vs”. I understand that either one or the other is true,

Uhh, no, actually, they can both be true, just creationism would have to be taken a little less literally.

but the question is irrelevant. People who believe in God, believe He is omnipotent.

Kind of a given, isn’t it?

Anything is possible with Him.

Especially cheating at football.

That means that presenting scientific evidence that light has been traveling for millions of years from far off stars is pointless, because God could have created the universe aged, so it could still be the Biblical 6K years old.

It could, but there isn’t a single shred of evidence that points to that, and then there’s the logical inconsistency about why it would be made like that.

Christians shouldn’t be trying to explain the actions of God,

Yet they do.

and atheists shouldn’t be trying to present scientific evidence vs the ethereal.

Why?

This is not a “vs”. It never has been. It never will be.

… Why?

They can both be literal. God didn’t explain “how”. If God is, then He is, and it is possible, regardless of the “how”. So, the question we are really asking is “is God”. Let’s ask that question, as it is more direct. Placing evolution vs creation is like placing science vs supernatural. Science is the study of the natural universe. God is beyond that. We don’t know the "how"s. We weren’t told. So we must grapple with the only question we can try to answer, “is God”. Further, since Christians are not told how God did it, to conjecture of how God did it, is just that, conjecture, and is useless and even misleading.

Flag Post

This can’t be a good thing, this congressman sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology and yet is spouting that evolution is a lie from the pit of hell

How do these people get elected into office?
Sometimes I have to shake my head and wonder what is the future for America if the people in charge can’t understand basic science.
Evolution isn’t really that hard to grasp, right?

Flag Post

Creation.

Believing in evolution is like believing that all the dice you will toss will turn out into 6, forever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

How do these people get elected into office?

An excess of money, and backers in the right places usually. As the saying goes, it’s not what you know, its who you know.

Sometimes I have to shake my head and wonder what is the future for America if the people in charge can’t understand basic science.
Evolution isn’t really that hard to grasp, right?

No, its not.

The same thing will happen to America in the the future, that has been happening to an increasing extent now: We will slip further and further behind in research. Other countries will pick up the pace and reap the rewards.

If I might, I’ll remind you of why my own research takes place in the UK and not back home in the states. It’s beause the UK is over a decade ahead of the states in sensory research, so much so, that the US military contracts a Scottish firm to handle their personnel. That’s a trend that will continue to increase as the years go by.

Flag Post

Who believes in fairytales?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnDoe2:

Creation.

Believing in evolution is like believing that all the dice you will toss will turn out into 6, forever.

I’m not sure you know what evolution is as that makes no sense at all. If anything you’d get less sixes as the ecological niche for sixes is taken by the first six.

Evolution is not all things aiming to be the same and just taking their time getting there, it is about things being different so they can fit into the environment around them. If there are no twos in your dice rolls then you will start to get twos not more sixes as only a certain number of sixes can co-exist and there is an opening for more twos.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

No, dd is trying to say that evolution depends on each generation being different from the one before it, in the same way as you are different to your parents. Over and over this process repeats, with isolated populations evolving separately (consider all the ethnic groups in humans, for example) until, if they’re isolated long enough, two new species form, where interbreeding is impossible.

Over time these new species look for niches which there is no other species filling, and slowly become better and better at filling that niche. They may split into two or more separate populations, each one slowly moving further and further from the original, until there are 2-3 separate species derived from each of the original two, and the process continues on and on.

It’s how we came from the one or two original species, to many millions around today.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

that picture is the awesomest reply i’ve ever seen. never have i seen anyone so loudly and concisely tell people how stupid he is. congratulations!

There is nothing wrong with my explanation of evolution, using the dice metaphor that JohnDoe2 used, for anyone with a competent level of reading comprehension.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

There is nothing wrong with my explanation of evolution … for anyone with a competent level of reading comprehension.

I hate to be the one to say it, but that was your problem right there.

Flag Post

I have meet a few Christians that believe evolution is the work of God. My question is then where did Adam and Eve come from?

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

I have meet a few Christians that believe evolution is the work of God. My question is then where did Adam and Eve come from?

You know that is one of the questions that haunted me as a kid. “If Adam and Eve are real, then where is the Garden of Eden?”

I vote for evolution, there is evidence to back creationism but then again, evolution is just a theory anyway.

Flag Post

Where is the evidence to back creationism?

Evolution is a theory precisely because it has so much evidence supporting it.

Flag Post

Creation.

Good Analogy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chris2Fly:

Creation.

Good Analogy.

It’s a good analogy for showing how some people have no understanding of evolution.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chris2Fly:

Creation.

Good Analogy.

Believing in creationism is like believing that you bought some dice – each one from a different place – that all had manufacture errors so that all of them have 5 6-sides and one 7-side and all of them land on the 7, forever. Also, the dice actually float above the table instead of falling down. You know, they’re supernatural.

With creationism you may get one answer, but in exchange for that you get a whole bushel of new questions. It makes so many assumptions with no evidence for it whatsoever that it is a bit difficult for me to understand how this debate can actually play a role in today’s world.

Flag Post

I’d figure it more the equivalent of allowing the dealer to tell you your rolls without seeing the dice.

Flag Post

Evolution holds that the dice roll 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 in equal frequencies, and survival-of-the-fittest selects whichever number provides the best chances of procreation.

it is precisely Creationism that simply infers it always rolls a 6 because of magic.

Flag Post

EPR89

It makes so many assumptions with no evidence for it whatsoever that it is a bit difficult for me to understand how this debate can actually play a role in today’s world.

Well unfortunately, as my previous link showed, there are people in positions of power that are making it a debate. But you are right, it is difficult to understand how this debate is still kept alive.