What would you do if you heard a nuke alert

54 posts

Flag Post

Well preety much what i said what would you do if you heard it (if yo don’t have them, act like you do) from what i know, the bomb arives arround a half and hour after they go off, so you CAN survive,
This is also assuming you don’t have bomb shelters.

Flag Post

Depends on where it would hit and the size of it, really.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Well you wouldn’t know what it was, if you heard it that just means that one is coming,

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

Well you wouldn’t know what it was, if you heard it that just means that one is coming,

Well let’s see, a “regular” atom bomb would wipe out 4 square miles, and then there’s the fallout, there are also bigger bombs like hydrogen bombs that would, more or less, destroy the entire country.

I’d assume that it’s big enough and close enough to set off the alarm, so I’d either do nothing, or go and find someplace underground to hide, because there isn’t much escaping it if it’s able to wipe out a large enough area.

Flag Post

Wait.

Flag Post

I’d need more information than that, but I’d run outside and I’d go and get someone to jump on the highway and go West and then southwest to get out of the obvious target, Houston.

I’m just assuming it’s coming for my city, and not another city states away, even if it was going for another city I’d still leave the city as fast as possible.

Flag Post

I would do what the Simpsons do

Flag Post

If someone were going to nuke the USA, they would start with the populated areas, or military centers, or both. I live out in the middle of nowhere. If enough nukes, or strong enough nukes were used that even my house would be in the bomb radius, then there are so many nukes and so much power being used, that I have no chance of running anywhere or hiding anywhere. This would be a total destruction of the entire continent. Basically, this is asking me what I would do if I found out my family and I have a half an hour to live. My wife is at work right now, so I’d call her and tell her how much I loved her and how great our life has been together. Then, I’d sit down with my kids, and read them a book. I wouldn’t tell them what the alarm was for. I’d just present faux calm. I’d put them at ease. I’d make sure their last half hour of life were happy.

Flag Post

Call Sarah Palin for protection.

Flag Post

Hide in a refrigerator obviously. If you had a giant concrete underground shelter stocked with supplies, that would work well too.

Originally posted by bjjdude:

Well let’s see, a “regular” atom bomb would wipe out 4 square miles, and then there’s the fallout, there are also bigger bombs like hydrogen bombs that would, more or less, destroy the entire country.

I’d assume that it’s big enough and close enough to set off the alarm, so I’d either do nothing, or go and find someplace underground to hide, because there isn’t much escaping it if it’s able to wipe out a large enough area.

Where do you live, the Vatican? Here’s the largest ever bomb tested and its radius of destruction:

Huge yes, but not to take out a whole country.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Wait, what was the name of the bomb you were talking about again ?

Flag Post

^that actually seems big enough to take out my country…

you just don’t realise the size of many countries. the Vatican, btw, would be almost invisible on the scale of that image.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

^that actually seems big enough to take out my country…

you just don’t realise the size of many countries. the Vatican, btw, would be almost invisible on the scale of that image.

True. But still the vast majority of countries would be much bigger than that large circle.

Wait, what was the name of the bomb you were talking about again ?

Yup, that one.

Flag Post

Resume normal activity.

Flag Post

what vast majority? most European countries would be small enough to be basically entirely destroyed by it. Latin America has a bunch more of such countries, as well as many Oceanic countries. Africa has several, as does Asia.

i’ll bet more than half the worlds countries are small enough to fit the high density parts in that circle. and that’s just the total destruction circle of a very old bomb, that’s definitely not the biggest possible.

in fact with two such bombs, you can blow up London, Liverpool and Manchester, and if it’s slightly bigger than that circle, Birmingham too.

or, if it’s some’ bigger, imagine throwing it at the western border side of Bangladesh. you could blow up Kolkota and Dhaka with one bomb. that should be hundreds of millions of casualties from just the bombs total destruction core.

Flag Post

Okay, I’ll play along. That’s not a lot of time. If there were survival options I would fight for my life. If not I would spend the whole time unburdening my soul through prayer. Hey, you asked.

Flag Post

what vast majority? most European countries would be small enough to be basically entirely destroyed by it. Latin America has a bunch more of such countries, as well as many Oceanic countries. Africa has several, as does Asia.

i’ll bet more than half the worlds countries are small enough to fit the high density parts in that circle. and that’s just the total destruction circle of a very old bomb, that’s definitely not the biggest possible.

in fact with two such bombs, you can blow up London, Liverpool and Manchester, and if it’s slightly bigger than that circle, Birmingham too.

or, if it’s some’ bigger, imagine throwing it at the western border side of Bangladesh. you could blow up Kolkota and Dhaka with one bomb. that should be hundreds of millions of casualties from just the bombs total destruction core.

Actually, modern nuclear bombs wouldn’t do any more damage individually. It was a different time back then, where every bomb needed max potential, because it was very difficult to get even one dropped. According to wikipedia, after the 60s, research "focused primarily on increased accuracy, miniaturization, and safety. The standard practice for many years has been to employ multiple smaller warheads (MIRVs) to “carpet” an area, resulting in greater ground damage."

Flag Post

yeah duh. but that’s a different topic. you are now discussing how we went form dropping ultra-heavy nuclear bombs out of strategic bombers to using modern jets to launch remote controlled missiles.

we were discussing strategic nuclear bombs specifically, so lets stay on topic.

Flag Post

Actually, modern nuclear bombs wouldn’t do any more damage individually. It was a different time back then, where every bomb needed max potential, because it was very difficult to get even one dropped. According to wikipedia, after the 60s, research "focused primarily on increased accuracy, miniaturization, and safety. The standard practice for many years has been to employ multiple smaller warheads (MIRVs) to “carpet” an area, resulting in greater ground damage."

Well that’s interesting… As well as making sense.

But, just for the sake of argument, let’s say that the bombs are damn near, if not at, max potential, what do?

Flag Post

The thought that nuclear weapons could carpet the Earth in destruction is somewhat of a myth.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2009/how-i-learnt-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb/

Flag Post

I’d grab my family, pets, and some belongings and head west or south, since the target is probably Portland.

Flag Post

yeah duh. but that’s a different topic. you are now discussing how we went form dropping ultra-heavy nuclear bombs out of strategic bombers to using modern jets to launch remote controlled missiles.

we were discussing strategic nuclear bombs specifically, so lets stay on topic.

If you didn’t know modern nuclear weapons aren’t gigantic, it’s okay. No need to play the ‘yeah duh’, ’that’s a different topic’, and ‘so lets stay on topic’ cards.

Well that’s interesting… As well as making sense.

But, just for the sake of argument, let’s say that the bombs are damn near, if not at, max potential, what do?

Well, I guess we could place the max damage radius at 50km as a high estimate. This would be about large enough to take out the world’s 80 smallest countries. (Assuming the were all perfectly circle shaped ha ha) So it could do a ton of damage, but not as much as some people expect. What country are you from curiously?

Flag Post

Well, I guess we could place the max damage radius at 50km as a high estimate. This would be about large enough to take out the world’s 80 smallest countries. (Assuming the were all perfectly circle shaped ha ha) So it could do a ton of damage, but not as much as some people expect.

Don’t forget about the fallout and rest of the country (if there was any left), that would do enough damage to severely cripple even a big country, especially if it hit the right places.

What country are you from curiously?

The U.S., and while a bomb that size wouldn’t really destroy the entire country instantly, if it hit the New England area, (also basically where I live) it would do a lot of long-term damage to the entire country.

Flag Post

The person was talking about nukes. Tzar Bomba was a hydrogen bomb.
Hydrogen bombs have a larger impact radius, whereas the destruction of an atomic bomb is largely influenced by weather conditions since it’s not the initial impact that causes havoc, but the fallout (radioactive dirt and dust). This fallout is extremely detrimental to crop growth and general health of the affected population. Also, when used in large quantities, either hydrogen bombs or ‘nukes’ may cause what is called a “nuclear winter”, in other words, the dust and dirt that is blasted into the air blocks off the sunlight for years or even decades, efficiently destroying all forms of life that require sunlight.

Flag Post

I live in SE Long Island, and that area is rather small, unless said Atomic Bomb were to head for NYC. I would go out and spend 10 minutes buying canned food and water, gas masks and walkie-talkies to give to my friends. I would then spend the next 10 minutes building a steel wall with no openings but a door that opens from the inside and put me and a few select people inside and wait. After about 1-2 days (calendar), some of us would put on gas masks and find a veichle to escape in.

That that would be if they bombed NYC, which is about a 45 min. drive…