Flag Burning

22 posts

Flag Post

So, is it wrong to burn a flag in protest of what one country does/acts like?

Flag Post

No, it is freedom of expression. Unless a person is doing that just to incite violent rallies, it is fine. The conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia even ruled that it was freedom of expression not that he agreed with it though. I used to think it was horrible that a person would burn the U.S. flag but then I got over that patriotic phase after realizing how royally screwed up America’s foreign policy is and why the world hates America.

Flag Post

Not wrong in the least. But burning a Canadian flag always seemed silly to me, it’s like burning a go-bot, nobody cares. But yes to remove the ability for a citizen to deface symbols of the state I would find problematic.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

It depends on your concept of right and wrong. In other words it really depends on the system of beliefs you learnt growing up. In some countries like the US, there is nothing held as intrinsically wrong with it. In others, it is seen as an act of treason.

I think the UK still holds desecration of the Queen’s image as treason, for example. Beauval will likely be able to say for sure when he reads this.

Flag Post

It’s stupid, wasteful and doesn’t say anything but “disagree” while trying to create a stronger emotional appeal, but there is nothing wrong with being stupid. As long as it’s your possession.

Flag Post

just so long as it’s not the flag of my country. that would be offensive.

Flag Post

I think the UK still holds desecration of the Queen’s image as treason, for example. Beauval will likely be able to say for sure when he reads this.

Perhaps during the reign of the first Elizabeth (1558-1603), although the closest I can find is that defacing money (which carries the monarch’s image) used to be classified as treason. There have been some pretty weird ways of committing treason, but I don’t think this was one of them.

The Queen has had many portraits painted, and several of them could be seen as desecrating her image. I know she would agree with me about that. I also remembered this. The Sex Pistols are still around to tell the tale (well, most of them, anyway), in fact I saw Johnny Rotten on a political discussion programme recently.

Burning the union flag is not an offence, although a few years back there was an attempt by some old school Conservatives to make it one, in response to a spate of flag burning by muslim agitators. Thankfully the idea sank without trace. As far as most of us are concerned, if you bought it you can burn it. Not many of us do, but then that sort of thing is all a bit too melodramatic for us Brits.

Flag Post

I bet if we burned flags of Middle Eastern countries they’d respond with yet more violence.
Moral Dissonance seems to define fundamentalists who pervert there own religions. God gave us Free Will for a reason

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

I don’t believe so… I’ve heard of that ‘law’ so many times but I don’t think it actually exists. Certainly doesn’t fall under treason, but suppose there’s a possibility it might exist elsewhere, buried in old legislation that no one ever bothered to repeal.

But if it does exist, it’s not enforced. Tourist attractions have little machines which deform and re-print 1p coins, and every person who uses one defaces the Queen’s image. Perhaps beauval might know for sure.[edit – wandered off for half an hour while writing this, he ninja’d me in the meantime)

However, I believe having sex with Kate Middleton would be treason.

Flag Post

It is never wrong to burn a flag. Ever.

Flag Post

Not sure if sarcasm. It is wrong when it is not yours. I certainly wouldn’t call it freedom of speech if you burn someone else’s flag (without permission).

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

FlabbyWW, don’t see this as being contradictory to your statement.
Rather, see it as merely some “qualifiers”.

Having the RIGHT to do something doesn’t mean it is right to DO IT.
One really must be rational and prudent in such actions that can very easily be seen as volatile emotional-appealing.

Let me compare it to: Pick your battles…..or, picking your “weapons”. Would the burning of a flag (or even effigy or other cherished icon, etc.) truly be reflective of your intended “statement”? Would it be “overkill” and, therefore, do more “harm” than good?

Someone can shit on my cherished Red, White, & Blue and then wipe their ass w/ it. What I “feel” will be dependant upon what their “purpose” is. At the very least, it is obvious they don’t know the difference between a flag & toilet paper…..lol

BUT, seriously, to gauge much more than the action of that individual (or relatively FEW involved) in any real depth…..one really ought to know a whooooole lot more about what all is “behind it”. One shouldn’t hate all “towel-heads” because a few of them burn an American flag. C’mon now. Hell, some nutsack of a news reporter hard up for some sensationalism PAID those guys to do it. I mean, the “flag-burnings” I’ve seen have been done by ppl that I would take serious about much of anything anyway.

NOW, when the Swedish ski team passes me on the highway in their bus and they all moon me as they go by….NOW THAT IS SOMETHING I WILL GIVE DUE CONTEMPLATION ON…..after all, these ARE professional athletes.

Speaking of “mooning”,,,
just what “statement” do ya think these ppl were trying to make? LOL

That’s the whole point: a person’s RIGHT to make a statement. Such covers a whooooole lot of territory & thus is very hard to be consistently fair in making decisions on what is legal & illegal…..just waaaay too much gray area between the two.

Flag Post

It’s illegal to burn anything in the street.

You’re going to get tackled by cops if you set fire to a bed sheet in a public place, why is a flag any different? That’s not freedom of speech, that’s public endangerment.

Flag Post

Barring some sort of absurdly large flag, or dry season, or logical additional factors, no public is in danger from the minor combustion.

Flag Post
Having the RIGHT to do something doesn’t mean it is right to DO IT.

I agree Karma….I think burning a flag is mostly a stupid idea…but does it make it wrong? I guess all I’m saying is that even though I’d never do it, I don’t think it’s such a big deal…so while I might not agree with it, I don’t think it is wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:

It’s illegal to burn anything in the street.

You’re going to get tackled by cops if you set fire to a bed sheet in a public place, why is a flag any different? That’s not freedom of speech, that’s public endangerment.

Not that I’m actually “challenging” what ya’re saying here, Azolf….I’m just “spit-balling” to see what sticks to the wall.

One: There’s a lot of difference in burning a sheet & burning a flag….a whoooole lot of difference. I have no idea about what kind of “statement” burning a sheet would make. BUT, I think we can (most?) all agree that burning a flag makes a huge statement….to varying degree to differing ppl.

Two: I wonder if one could get a permit to burn a flag as part of a public protest….much the same as they need for a public political rally//parade?

Three: I’m glad Darkruler brought up the subject of OWNERSHIP of a specific flag being burned. BUT, if ya’ll bear w/ me and streeetch your mind on this…..I see a different kind of “ownership” involved in a flag. A flag that stands for a particular group//entity tacitly belongs to them, also. Yet, it also belongs to the person burning it….this, obviously, is only true if that person is represented by that flag (as opposed to a foreigner….a “northerner” burning a Dixie flag would be seen as a foreigner).

For me, it is totally a freedom-of-speech issue. I view it to be one of a rather extreme nature. But, sometimes ya gotta use the “2×4” to get the mules attention. Hopefully, ones “message” has enough merit on its own to attract the necessary//adequate attention one desires.

Flag Post

I don’t see what the big deal is it’s just a flag…I mean it’s probably a bit insulting the the party/group/nation/organisation that it represents but still, c’mon!
I bet it just the depends on how you were raised, your view on current things and what your country is like at this stage…
I mean to me, it’s just a piece of material, it’s not like there some FIRST FLAG hanging somewhere with some type of almost holy symbolic meaning, with gold trimming where the flag itself is silk…
But then again it almost always comes down to the meaning the protesters were trying to express, that leads to the feelings people get from it. But still it’s freedom of expression.

Flag Post

If you want to send a real political message, set fire to a pile of money.

Flag Post

Just make sure it’s not your money. Use your mother-in-law’s money.

Flag Post

As much as I abhor it, one has every right to do so.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Just make sure it’s not your money. Use your mother-in-law’s money.

Ha! Must be a half moon tonight, everyone’s cracking jokes.

Flag Post

People have the right to do it but i still think it can be inflammatory and wasteful.