Corporations... in space! page 2

69 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by sanii:

I think its okay for corporations, to operate edge of space enterprises and space transportation, but the people who actually go down on new , astroods and the such should be all gerernment to prevent these huge coperations from going to war over minral rights.
If coperation X finds a minerl rich planet at te same time as corperation Y, and they actually have the funds and tech to make mine-ing it profitable, I doubt they would be beyond killing each other over it. I read a awesome sci-fi book about this very senairio, but I froget the name.

it’l be like the wild west sept instead of cattlre ranchers and gold prospeters, well have massive corperations armed to the teeth.
plus, since this is space, itll be alot harder for gouvernment to interveen.

(my auto cerréct is in french and I suck at spelling. Sry.)

Corporations aren’t allowed to go to war over mineral rights, especially if they’re both from other countries. From there it would be who gets the permit for it first.

also since this is space, it’ll be alot harder for the government to intervene

Not true, those corporations will be based on Earth, all the governments have to do is go lock up the CEO or other high ranking people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by basicbasic:

Not true, those corporations will be based on Earth, all the governments have to do is go lock up the CEO or other high ranking people.

For now, yes. Longer-term, assuming we can perfect artificial biodomes, it may make considerably more sense for the headquarters to be located elsewhere.

It brings a whole new meaning to a ‘corporate town’.

Flag Post
auto cerréct

i’m so sorry i burst out laughing at that one.

aar, it’s interesting to move on to this stage of space exploitation. this is a quite different scenario from exploration missions. i think it will be very tricky, because i agree with you it would be very difficult to enforce any laws, and you may get a type of lawlessness similar to the Wild West, whether it be corporations or governments theoretically in charge of it all. this is exactly what happened in the colonisation periods of the Americas.

in theory, yes. but in practice so many things could happen behind closed doors, and any investigation to what happened is still gonna have to be done remotely. advanced communication and recording devices we have now we didn’t have some centuries ago should make it a lot easier, but none the less…

i’d fear them going rogue.

also, if we find new materials and such, who would lay claim on them? mining them is one thing, but whose resources are they in the first place?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

also, if we find new materials and such, who would lay claim on them? mining them is one thing, but whose resources are they in the first place?

They belong to the people who mined them. It is their perogative to keep them or sell them for additional financing.

Flag Post

that would imply a mining free-for-all, which that far away will certainly get bloody. sabotage would be extremely commonplace.

i’d figure there’d be competition for the rights to the unmined resources, and only those licensed to mine certain known resources will be allowed to. for one thing, parts of the moon are already owned. if we find resources on those locations, these rich celebrity bastards will certainly try to claim those rights.

others who may try to claim those rights are those that discovered the resource. which may be further disputed between the person or group doing the actual finding, and who commisioned, or funded or w/e the operation that caused it to be discovered.

Flag Post

that would imply a mining free-for-all, which that far away will certainly get bloody. sabotage would be extremely commonplace.

Not necessarily, another alternative is that countries own those asteroids/planets and it continues how it does today, another of the ways we could get our act together is with permits which is given out by a board who are part of the UN.

Flag Post

This issue is one which may be ending up in a situation which nobody wants yet everybody votes for. A few big, profitable, strong firms will eventually start ruling space and beyond while the rest remains poor. We’re luckily not ready for space exploration yet, but I certainly hope the future will include making sure there is no way to “claim ownership” of a planet or rich asteroid. In fact, hopefully, by that time we should no longer be worrying about “countries” and instead combine the whole of humanity.

All just speculations, though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

This issue is one which may be ending up in a situation which nobody wants yet everybody votes for. A few big, profitable, strong firms will eventually start ruling space and beyond while the rest remains poor. We’re luckily not ready for space exploration yet, but I certainly hope the future will include making sure there is no way to “claim ownership” of a planet or rich asteroid. In fact, hopefully, by that time we should no longer be worrying about “countries” and instead combine the whole of humanity.

All just speculations, though.

I was hoping that, however its unlikely that we would unite just yet. Though I really do think continents should unite (Eg. Canada and America, Central and Southeren America, Australasia, Asia, Middle East, Europe [Russia would be forever alone, or maybe bring back the good ol’ soviet union :P])

Flag Post
Not necessarily, another alternative is that countries own those asteroids/planets and it continues how it does today, another of the ways we could get our act together is with permits which is given out by a board who are part of the UN.

i was responding to the scenario that proposed it wasn’t owned by anyone, and anyone could lay claim if they mined it regardless of permits.

if countries own it, then which countries?

I certainly hope the future will include making sure there is no way to “claim ownership” of a planet or rich asteroid. In fact, hopefully, by that time we should no longer be worrying about “countries” and instead combine the whole of humanity.

that doesn’t answer the question though. if nobody is to “claim ownership”, and the whole of humanity is combined in a countryless way, who gets the rights to the resources?

i guess it would be great if there’s some global democracy, and by that we commission the mining of such resources to be globally shared where…man, this is global democratic communism. it does sound a bit scary.

Flag Post

That sounds good news to me. If we launch space companies that lets say mine asteroids. that would be good for the economy

Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

So today the SpaceX CRS-1 mission is set to launch (9:30 EDT) so this brings into question whether or not private industries should be the leaders in space exploration. For those of you who don’t know, SpaceX is a corporation that is attempting to make sending satellites and extra terrestrial missions cheaper. If successful, the Falcon 9, the rocket that they are using for this launch, could potentially make launches cheaper by up to 30 million USD.

Flag Post

But then how would we agree on the government type?Some are gonna want communism and others democracy and other monarchy.

i was responding to the scenario that proposed it wasn’t owned by anyone, and anyone could lay claim if they mined it regardless of permits.

if countries own it, then which countries?

I certainly hope the future will include making sure there is no way to “claim ownership” of a planet or rich asteroid. In fact, hopefully, by that time we should no longer be worrying about “countries” and instead combine the whole of humanity.

that doesn’t answer the question though. if nobody is to “claim ownership”, and the whole of humanity is combined in a countryless way, who gets the rights to the resources?

i guess it would be great if there’s some global democracy, and by that we commission the mining of such resources to be globally shared where…man, this is global democratic communism. it does sound a bit scary.

Flag Post

I really love the asteroid ideas but how about other companies.Lets say like space exploration or planet colonisation and terraforming or even solar power stations???

Flag Post

Oh and a really good one.How about if we find one species trading with aliens!!!!!!!

Flag Post

Whoa cant you spell correctly please?

Originally posted by basicbasic:
Originally posted by sanii:

I think its okay for corporations, to operate edge of space enterprises and space transportation, but the people who actually go down on new , astroods and the such should be all gerernment to prevent these huge coperations from going to war over minral rights.
If coperation X finds a minerl rich planet at te same time as corperation Y, and they actually have the funds and tech to make mine-ing it profitable, I doubt they would be beyond killing each other over it. I read a awesome sci-fi book about this very senairio, but I froget the name.

it’l be like the wild west sept instead of cattlre ranchers and gold prospeters, well have massive corperations armed to the teeth.
plus, since this is space, itll be alot harder for gouvernment to interveen.

(my auto cerréct is in french and I suck at spelling. Sry.)

Corporations aren’t allowed to go to war over mineral rights, especially if they’re both from other countries. From there it would be who gets the permit for it first.

also since this is space, it’ll be alot harder for the government to intervene

Flag Post
Originally posted by VoodooCoffeeGuy:

Whoa cant you spell correctly please?

Whoa can you quit multiple posting please.

Flag Post

And there also space tourism.You know because the peoples wish to see the stars(a bit closer than from earth).

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

the falcon 9 launch cost 54million u.s. I read up on the h3+ molecule and nowhere does it suggest harvesting it on the moon.

Flag Post

He-3, not H3+ (that would be He3 with one less electron, and thus not Hydrogen, H) Also, you better check wikipedia.

Anyway, the Falcon 9 was a fair bit more expensive than that, although still several million dollars cheaper than anything NASA has put out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

He-3, not H3+ (that would be He3 with one less electron, and thus not Hydrogen, H) Also, you better check wikipedia.

Anyway, the Falcon 9 was a fair bit more expensive than that, although still several million dollars cheaper than anything NASA has put out.

no look it up, its h3+ POSITIVE molecule genius. check your facts again before you try to contradict what I say.
the falcon launch was MUCH cheaper than nasa go review that real fast too genius.

Flag Post

Woah, that was quite the stupid post.

Helium 3 is just a regular helium isotope with one less neutron (no effect on charge) and Falcon 9 was cheaper than NASA, I didn’t refute that. It wasn’t 54 million USD, though. If I remember correctly it was in the neighborhood of 100 million. Still a sizable bit cheaper than anything NASA has launched, converted to todays dollars.

Why is it that only trolls keep this thread alive? Absolutely disgusting.