Is having sex at the age of 12 right

238 posts

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Simple question, simple answer:
Depends.

That is, if that is a question. I mean, there’s no question mark and the OP doesn’t help either.
“Is X right i have”
What is that supposed to mean?

Flag Post

I flagged it.
The OP needs “a lot of help”.
S/he should either emend it or start all over.
Hint…hint.

Flag Post

if both parties enjoyed it, knew what they were doing and didn’t have to be persuaded it’s fine. “right” is not an attribute that would fit.

(edit) if you’re asking this because you have doubts, and it’s a secret, it’s most likely not fine at all. consult adults.

Flag Post

that is illogical.
sex is for breeding.

rather spend your free time playing video games and not waste it on sex and relationships.

Flag Post

You’re a little too young to be doing the naughty touch.

Flag Post

Here’s some interesting related info.

Most animals attempt to breed as soon as they reach fertility. However, for some reason, it is different with humans. Humans reach fertility in thier early teens. Yet most humans do not attempt to reproduce for quite a while after reaching fertility.
Why is this? Why are humans the only animals that willingly wait so long after reaching fertility before reproducing?

Flag Post
Originally posted by fma1:
Why is this? Why are humans the only animals that willingly wait so long after reaching fertility before reproducing?

It’s a micture of sex drive, consiousness, and society.

Flag Post

it’s been said that we become fertile at younger ages because of eating habits. some say healthier food, but probably it’s food that’s rife with hormones. in fact our drinking water is full of hormones.

but also, we didn’t use to wait that long to reproduce. that’s because children weren’t raised purely by parents, but instead by tribes or extended families.

Flag Post

Is making a life altering and permanent decision like re-procreation the type of decision a 12 year old should be making? Can a 12 year old responsibly raise a child? Stupid questions.

Most animals attempt to breed as soon as they reach fertility. However, for some reason, it is different with humans. Humans reach fertility in thier early teens. Yet most humans do not attempt to reproduce for quite a while after reaching fertility.

Animals start breeding as soon as possible to make as many young as possible because there is a good chance the young will die. The way to keep a species going, is to make as many offspring as possible. Humans aren’t in the same position. Our young stand a good chance of survival, especially in modern times, and our species is in no danger of extinction. Appealing to nature isn’t a good argument for 12 year olds having sex.

Flag Post

sex ≠ reproduction.

Flag Post

Depends on the country you live in. In the United States, that would not be legal since you are still a minor.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

Is making a life altering and permanent decision like re-procreation the type of decision a 12 year old should be making? Can a 12 year old responsibly raise a child? Stupid questions.

Animals start breeding as soon as possible to make as many young as possible because there is a good chance the young will die. The way to keep a species going, is to make as many offspring as possible. Humans aren’t in the same position. Our young stand a good chance of survival, especially in modern times, and our species is in no danger of extinction. Appealing to nature isn’t a good argument for 12 year olds having sex.

I wasn’t saying that I think that 12 year olds should have sex. I was simply referring to how, in the matter of reproduction, humans have diverged from other animals in the sense that we reach reproductive maturity long before we actually start trying to reproduce. No other animal willingly waits so long before reproducing.

Flag Post

Each case must be judged on its own merits, but, in general, 12 is too young. The individuals concered have neither proper access to all the facts to make an informed decision about the risks, nor do they have fully-formed brains capable of assessing the long-term repurcussions of such an act.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

sex ≠ reproduction.

So, what? Children should have sex for recreation, and this should be argued for or against? Fucking disgusting.

Flag Post

twelve year olds have been having sex for thousands of years. It’s only in recent times – victorian era – that it’s fallen out of fashion. That is, however, the word for it: a fashion.

Also the bible has several instances of underage marriages, so it’s certainly not against Christian tradition.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:a fashion

It used to be fashionable to offer human sacrifices. However, we don’t do it now because it is simply “unfashionable”. Further, because it is or is not in fashion doesn’t make it simply a matter of fashion. Since something once was “ok” with society doesn’t make it irrespective of morals, of right and wrong.

The fact that I have to explain this to you worries me.

Flag Post

We don’t perform human sacrifices anymore because killing someone in the name of a religious ceremony is kinda fucked up. Also kids having sex is not at all analogous with human sacrifice.

The fact that I have to explain why we don’t perform human sacrifices to a CHRISTIAN bores worries me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

twelve year olds have been having sex for thousands of years. It’s only in recent times – victorian era – that it’s fallen out of fashion. That is, however, the word for it: a fashion.

I would argue that as our civilisation advances, it becomes less and less necessary for 12 year olds to engage in sexual practices. We can educate and inform as much as possible, and if absolutely necessary, employ other safeguards to prevent it on a case by case basis. Sex before the age of consent (when the brain has matured enough to fully understand the potential consequences) is a poor idea in much of the rest of modern relationships, so why not here as well?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:We don’t perform human sacrifices anymore because killing someone in the name of a religious ceremony is kinda fucked up.

Exactly, and screwing a 12 year old is equally fucked up.

Originally posted by Jantonaitis:The fact that I have to explain why we don’t perform human sacrifices to a CHRISTIAN bores worries me.

I know that human sacrifices are wrong, which is why I brought them up. You aren’t explaining anything, and stop making this about Christianity, because that has nothing to do with this topic. If you keep making pointed arguments against Christianity, directed at me personally, in a topic that has nothing to do with Christianity, I’ll have to assume your an obvious troll.

Flag Post

My main point is that consent laws are a recent phenomenon, and the result of our cultural moeurs changing – but not necessarily the logical progression of civilization. Before the Victorians, children dressed in adult clothes. By adolescence they were deemed simply to be a younger versions of their parents, not incapable of making mature, responsible decisions. Hence why child labour was a thriving practice in western society right through the industrial revolution. The division between ‘child’ and ‘adult’ – and the beginning of the consent laws, which, you’ll note, actually removes the ability for the child to choose – happened because of a cultural backlash to this sort of thinking. Thanks to culture critics like John Ruskin in England, Children were reinvented as ‘innocent and pure’ beings who need protection from the evils of society.

Now, with the internet promising virtual anonymity, widely available contraception, as well as a few throwbacks (those fashion shows where children come out in halter tops and spaghetti dresses? That’s not new and insane, it’s just last century’s fall lineup), there’s space developing for children to reclaim their near-equal status with adults. So yes, sex education, certainly. But if a child wants to have sex at 12, I see no reason to prevent it.

I’ll have to assume your an obvious troll.

You seem to believe I would take this as a crushing loss to SD. Please do. Given the other people you deem ‘trolls’ (DR, Johnny), I’d be in good company.

Human sacrifice has everything to do with christianity. The whole point behind it is that Christians no longer have to make human sacrifices because Christ is the sacrifice. For you not to realize that and pretend it’s the same thing as 12 year olds having sex is blindingly ignorant of your own religion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:We don’t perform human sacrifices anymore because killing someone in the name of a religious ceremony is kinda fucked up.

Exactly, and screwing a 12 year old is equally fucked up.

If you’re an adult, but if you’re also twelve or close to it, it gets a little blurry.

Flag Post

Age is unimportant (Except for the problem with ripping tissues many unaged humans have, but that is a physical problem, not a moral one, and is much more likely to happen if it is a fully grown human engaging in damaging intercourse with a child, not between humans of the same physical maturity engaging in intercourse that does not involve penetration.). Everything needs to be judged case by case. Most twelve year old are unknowledgable about what they do when this happens, and it seems unsound to do such a thing without knowledge, whether you are twelve or twelve hundred. If you know what you are doing and can do it safely, then I see no reason why it should be objected to, whatever the age.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

But if a child wants to have sex at 12, I see no reason to prevent it.

The reason I see, is they are incapable of informed consent. That’s why if you try to have sex with a 12 year old, Janton, it is frowned upon, because you are having intercourse with a person who cannot by nature of the stage of brain development they are at, give full and informed consent as to the consequences they are letting themselves in for.

Since they cannot be considered an equal partner in an adult relationship (because their brain is incomplete, and lacking long-term reasoning ability), and are not capable of informed consent, then the same logically should apply to unions between two 12 year olds. Neither is capable of informed consent, so measures should be put in place to minimise the consequences for them.

Ideally, I’d do it by implant. Disable the cervical nerves entirely, until the cerebral cortex starts to reach maturity. This occurs when the amount of grey matter starts to thin, to be replaced with white, and new structures start to form in the central sulcus, the gap between it and the parietal lobe. As near as we can tell via fMRI, this area matures at around 12-16 depending on the individual’s rate of matuity. Females tend to be a couple of years faster than males, on average.

Once that is formed, their mature decision-making process is largely intact,and the sensory blockade can be lifted. Before that point, their reasoning abilities are severely stunted, regardless of the capabilities of the rest of their brain. After that point they are capable of informed consent. Before the connections are made there, they are not.

Flag Post

Human sacrifice has everything to do with christianity. The whole point behind it is that Christians no longer have to make human sacrifices because Christ is the sacrifice.

Nooooooo, not quite. Animal sacrifices were used, not human sacrifices. However, on the point that Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice you are correct.