Abortions- Are they really a bad thing?

1093 posts

Flag Post

Ever since abortions have been created people have deemed it as an evil thing that shouldn’t be done. But I think to myself is abortion really something bad?

I believe that abortions are in no way “evil” or “Sinful” as some religious people would put it.
To better explain what I believe I will give you a scenario.

Scenario I: A teenage girl gets pregnant at a very young age, The next day she gets an abortion and she lives a happy life knowing that something that wasn’t even alive yet didn’t suffer through out its childhood.

Scenario II: A teenage girls get pregnant a very young age, Since society has told her that getting an abortion is a bad an sinful act to do she should just keep the baby. As the months pass the baby grows older and the girl has to see her baby suffer because she can’t support her baby.

I know people have different views on this but the baby isn’t even technically alive until it takes its own first breath after birth.

To sum it all up its the girls body and she should have the right to what is and what isn’t inside of her. For other people who thinks its wrong guess what its not your life or your body so why should you care?

Flag Post

I know people have different views on this but the baby isn’t even technically alive until it takes its own first breath after birth.

Thats not true. The fetus becomes a baby after some time in the womb, which is why abortions are not typically done late in the pregnancy.

Flag Post

If you have to kill it, it was alive.

There are some interesting psychological effects that come along with abortion, even for people who have been raised to believe that it isn’t a big deal. A girl in my graduate program just dropped out because she is issues after having an abortion last year. She said that at the time it wasn’t a big deal, but when it’s first birthday came around she started freaking out about it. It is worse for people who have been raised to believe that abortion is wrong, but I thought it was interesting to see those things in someone who didn’t feel that way about abortion.

When you remove the negative consequences of people’s actions you cause problems.

To sum it all up, it’s the girls body, and if she didn’t want to get pregnant she shouldn’t have been having sex.

Flag Post

if she didn’t want to get pregnant she shouldn’t have been having sex.

Equivalently, if you don’t want to get struck by lightning, you shouldn’t walk outside.

Flag Post

Sex was made for the sole purpose of reproduction.

Walking outside was not meant for the sole purpose of being struck by lightning, though that analogy gave me chuckles.

Flag Post
Originally posted by philnotfil:

To sum it all up, it’s the girls body, and if she didn’t want to get pregnant she shouldn’t have been having sex.

To sum it up, its a girl’s body, and you shouldn’t have any concern over what she does with it.

Flag Post

To sum it up, its a girl’s body, and you shouldn’t have any concern over what she does with it.

Can we close the topic now?

Flag Post

It’s not like we don’t have billions of other topics about the same, exact issue…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Yreval:

if she didn’t want to get pregnant she shouldn’t have been having sex.

Equivalently, if you don’t want to get struck by lightning, you shouldn’t walk outside.

Brilliant.

A few problems. If a rape victim didn’t want a baby, she shouldn’t have been…raped? If a married couple doesn’t want babies at the moment they are not allowed to have sex?

Sex wasn’t made, it is an efficient means of genetic transmission that came about as a result of evolution. Not all sexual acts among humans or animals are purely for procreation.

Flag Post

That is an incredibly prudish way of looking at it.

Flag Post

Eating was made purely for nutrision, we should no longer have bypasses, its the persons fault for eating so much, let them suffer.

Flag Post

its the best thing ever, + masturbation is silent genocide!

Flag Post

My biology teacher said anything that respriates is alive. So you are killing something when you are having an abortion. Hardly matters, you kill billions upon billions of bacteria in your life.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RMcD:

My biology teacher said anything that respriates is alive.

That is a terrible definition.

Flag Post

Define “respirates”.

I mean, fire takes in oxygen and outputs carbon dioxide. Is fire alive?

Flag Post

It really depends on YOUR view of life. That’s really all there is to it. It’s like several topics around here-some people agree and think it’s a wonderful thing, some people don’t and think it should become illegal.

I really don’t care whether it is illegal or not. To be honest, some people have abortions just so they can say, “Hey guys, I’m not gonna be a parent anymore ’cos I had an abortion!” Those people are SICK. SICK I tell you, SICK.

But then you have those people that will only do it if they have to, say they can say to their friends, “Hey guys. I’m not gonna be a parent anymore. I had to have an abortion.” Those people are normal people.

But then you have the third type of person. The one that gets forced on way or the other because of either their financial situation(can they really afford to have a baby?) or their religion(it might say somewhere abortions are wrong and that they sholud never do it)

But really, in the end, it depends on what YOU think. You can decide it’s wrong and not have one, or you can decide it’s right and opt to have one. Like many things in life, it’s up to YOU.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jabor:

Define “respirates”.

I mean, fire takes in oxygen and outputs carbon dioxide. Is fire alive?

a. The oxidative process occurring within cells by which the chemical energy of organic molecules is released in a series of metabolic steps involving the consumption of oxygen and the liberation of carbon dioxide and water.

I don’t see any water coming off fire.

Flag Post

Your definition of “living things” involves a process that occurs in living things. See the problem?

If not, let us ask what defines “living cells”.

Flag Post

you see i say no obortion… lets say that your parents got an abortion on you. what would you and they feel like if you were just dead.

an example is that: a woman got an late abortion. the baby came out and it was barely alive. so the docter just threw it in his supply closet and a nurse came by and nursed the baby until it died 1 hour later. Obama said that was okay and that we should do that.

Flag Post

*abortion

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

Your definition of “living things” involves a process that occurs in living things. See the problem?

If not, let us ask what defines “living cells”.

Fixed. I didn’t proof-read it.

Flag Post

an example is that: a woman got an late abortion. the baby came out and it was barely alive. so the docter just threw it in his supply closet and a nurse came by and nursed the baby until it died 1 hour later. Obama said that was okay and that we should do that.

Umm, your talking about back alley abortions, which legalized abortion greatly reduces.

RMcD, or you could just define it as anything that metabolizes, thats what your going at.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rakuth:

Umm, your talking about back alley abortions, which legalized abortion greatly reduces.

RMcD, or you could just define it as anything that metabolizes, thats what your going at.

Ok. I’ll do just that.

Something which is alive metabolizes.

Also, why would the women get the late abortion, why in the world would the nurse nurse the baby, why would he toss it in his supply closet (was there a lack of bins), why in everythings name would it be alive?

Flag Post
Originally posted by gytg:

you see i say no obortion… lets say that your parents got an abortion on you. what would you and they feel like if you were just dead.

I’d doubt I’d have much feeling about it, since I’d be dead.

Flag Post

Making abortions illegal harms more than it helps. Women can just turn to illegal abortions which carry an obvious medical risk. Cross apply the argument about bypasses and eating to counter the abortions for sex idea and we’ve got a solid argument for legalized and justified abortions.

But everyone here seems to be forgetting something key. Abortions for teenagers are often so the girl can avoid the consequences of her parents finding out. Pregnancy is really easy to spot after a few months. It’s an easy way out of dealing with the consequences your parents would give you, though I think your morality would be a harsher consequence.

There are perfectly acceptable alternatives to abortions as long as the woman is willing to go through with them. Adoption, parents taking care of the child, etc. All of these require the woman to go through pregnancy, to accept that they got pregnant.

And there are other times abortions may be necessary. Picture this, a woman is raped. She becomes pregnant by her rapist, and now has to deal with the idea of giving birth to this horrid man’s child or killing it. Would you want to bring the child of a monster(Assumedly by your views) into the world? I certainly wouldn’t.