The Meaning of Life

87 posts

Flag Post

Some people climb mountains to find the meaning of life, some read every book in a library to find the meaning, a lot pray talk to their god to find out the Burning Question that much of the World goes to great extents to find the Answer.

Maybe some of you have climbed mountains, read books, or prayed to find this answer and you would be willing to share.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAmazingAlo:

Some people climb mountains to find the meaning of life, some read every book in a library to find the meaning, a lot pray talk to their god to find out the Burning Question that much of the World goes to great extents to find the Answer.

Maybe some of you have climbed mountains, read books, or prayed to find this answer and you would be willing to share.

I have never climbed a mountain, read a book, or prayed to any divinity to find the meaning of life. And I haven’t been bothered by its mysterious nature. I only concern myself with living my future and daily life. Why fret over something that, though it may ease some people, is unimportant to me?

Why not just concern yourself with living your life and settling down (If you’re into that) and enjoying what you’ve got? I’m sure religion could support you if you wondered, perhaps you should read the bible.

Flag Post

There is no “Meaning of Life” apart from that the right elements were around in the right compositions at the right time. That is “why we are here”, because the universe is so massive it was bound to happen sooner of later.

Flag Post

I’ve climbed many a mountain of drugs and women. Through this I’ve leared many things that mean almost nothing. So to answer your question.. Yes

Flag Post

dd has it in a nutshell:

Originally posted by dd790:

There is no “Meaning of Life” apart from that the right elements were around in the right compositions at the right time. That is “why we are here”, because the universe is so massive it was bound to happen sooner of later.

So the meaning is what you make of it.

Flag Post

This is a topic where objective discussion can’t take place in, so I would advice typing “In my opinion…” or similar before posting what you think. For example: “In my opinion there’s no meaning of life.”

A stone can’t have meaning of life because it can’t (put) value (on) anything (apart from not being alive), but we can, and therefore we have more or less (in some cases maybe none, but we can’t know for sure if it’s so) meaning in our lives. Answering/trying to answer objectively to a guestion of inherent subjective nature seems absurd to me. It’s like answering to a topic focused on discussing about basic human rights saying “Humans have no rights as our lives don’t have any inherent value”.

So meaning of life is meaning in life to me, and all meaning in my life is derived from things I (greatly) value.

Flag Post

TuJe, I take your point, but personally, I would argue that our lives do have inherent value. They come with sentience attached: the ability to change things around us according to plan and purpose as opposed to the random, chaotic changes of nature.

That ability is itself priceless.

Flag Post

Yes, but from objective POV nothing has value, as value needs a subject who places that value. That’s why I won’t adapt an objective POV in great many things. I do agree with you though :P

Flag Post

Meaning of life=Find out the meaning of life

Flag Post
Originally posted by blocky56:

Meaning of life=Find out the meaning of life

but that is self-contradictive. If the above is true, then when we find out the meaning of life, then we complete the meaning. That means that we could have not found any other meaning of life, cuz we just completed the meaning. However, the meaning we just completed requires another meaning to be found, one that was undiscovered before. Thus, we cannot complete it without another meaning of life, but we cannot have another meaning of life cuz finding the meaning out is THE meaning of life.
Totally and completely contradictory to itself, thus faulty. Funny thing about this topic is that you’ll never be able to truly prove any theory right, you’ll just be able to prove a few wrong.

Flag Post

I gain an understanding every now and then. But I don’t believe I’ll receive the full meaning of it all soon. But eventually.

Flag Post

nothing.

we dont have free will, so nothing mattes.

Flag Post

Life is random, and thus it is meaningless.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

Life is random, and thus it is meaningless.

nope. not random.

its calculated, thats why its meaningless.

there is a formula and science behind everything, thus making us not able to control anything, not even our own thoughts.

Flag Post

Life is the compound of cells
Some book says virus has life.

If you asked why I must born.
The answer should be no one can control yourself before being born so your parts are
combined and you were born.
every particles just want to lower their energy so they make a bond together. It is just diffusion but not particle it is energy.

The funny thing is after you were born.
There are many thing more than lower energy in each of your particles.

Flag Post

Galdos, Jaume, life is meaningless, yes. It is just organic chemistry, and piss easy to culture in a petri dish.

However, you both have something more valuable than life – you have sentience, and the ability to understand the world around you, and then affect change on that world, far beyond what life alone can ever do. So why not use it? Make your own purpose through sheer force of will.

Flag Post

I have meditated long on this question, and found the answer. Though, to understand it, one must clear one’s mind, and then consider life. Watch nature closesly, you will not see emotion. You will see many creatures struggling to survive, some at all costs. With our ability to think through sophisticated problems and ideas, we don’t always see this very clearly. A small part of every last being says “we are equal,” whether you feel it or not… That is the reason we cannot often see, for we often think everything happens for a purpose. Our own complex minds often refuse to believe that the reason is something mind-numbingly simple; The meaning, the purpose, of life… is to LIVE. not for emotional, material, spiritual, etc. fulfillment, but simply to survive.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Galdos, Jaume, life is meaningless, yes. It is just organic chemistry, and piss easy to culture in a petri dish.

However, you both have something more valuable than life – you have sentience, and the ability to understand the world around you, and then affect change on that world, far beyond what life alone can ever do. So why not use it? Make your own purpose through sheer force of will.

Jeez… somehow the two of our minds are very similar. I made my post before I saw this x.x

Flag Post

this might be a bit ot but:

atheists argue that they have more reason to not commit suicide than christians, but isnt it the other way around?

atheism makes everything pointless, since there is no afterlife, then whhy bother doing ANYTHING. logically you should just come to a standstill and stop doing anything.

christians say that their actions influence their afterlife(where they will go), so they have a lot of reason to be good and constructing and not to commit suicide.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zomgsilverore:

That is the reason we cannot often see, for we often think everything happens for a purpose. Our own complex minds often refuse to believe that the reason is something mind-numbingly simple; The meaning, the purpose, of life… is to LIVE. not for emotional, material, spiritual, etc. fulfillment, but simply to survive.

Yes, this is the problem with the human psyche, and is where things like conspiracy theories come from. By and large we refuse to believe that any complex event could have a simple explanation. The end result had extremely complex repercussions, so the events leading up to it must surely have been just as complex.

In the same way as a simple mandelbrot equation (fractals) leads to an infinitely complex result, a simple explanation is often the best fit, but not one the psyche can easily grasp. We tend to assign import where we see patterns, even if these patterns are illusionary or simply coincidental.

If you will, it is the negative side of our highly analytical, problem solving nature – we see patterns where there just aren’t any.

Flag Post

maybe to find out how existence came into existence ;) thats some illogical shit

Flag Post

Why is it illogical, please Galdos?

Flag Post

According to this esteemed book “the hitchhiker’s guide to galaxy”
The meaning of life is
you got your answer

Flag Post

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

if there is no meaning, why are you still alive?
by your logic, you should just come to a standstill.