How different would USA be seen if... page 2

48 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by GentleGyroGinger:

Some foreign assholes would say we don’t care about our people, some assholes would say we care to much.

we just act like we care
lol

Flag Post

To JohnRulz;

Well, I can’t say anything more, I agree with you in pretty much everything you say haha. In fact I knew you would think that way from what I read in previous posts. That’s nice, at least it shows some people think the right way. I also don’t understand why we only hear about the murderer, but not about the victims. It’s disgusting.

About what you said about armed officiers. You are right, it might not be the best solution, but you admitted it will result in fewer deaths in mass shootings. What we want is to avoid mass shootings, not lower the amount of casualties. However, from a practical view, it’s better than nothing, I guess. And from what I heard in the news locally, it isn’t likely that people in USA want to do drastic changes to avoid those mass shootings. *sigh…

I don’t think USA overreacts about everything. They just have a different way to deal with their troubles. And because it is currently the most powerful nation in the world, we just hear about them everytime. Not like we care, but sensationalism is what seems to be the best way to sale the news, and a lot of people around the globe are actually liking those news.

Flag Post

I think we would be seen different if we didn’t have such a materialistic, famous because you’re famous culture. Also, I think that the fact we really don’t seem to give a shit about the rest of the world. Just look at American news. Pure US bullshit. That’s why I switched to BBC. Anyway, we have a society that celebrates idiocy and looks down on intellectualism. We have bubblegum culture full of selfishness, nothingness, plastic, and bullshit. We do things that are harmful to us, even though we know it’s bad, like electing George W Bush. We start random wars for no reason, and spend way too much on military. We have no universal healthcare (only developed country to not) and have a HUGE military. If we can spend money to kill, why not spend money to save lives? We have more homophobia, racism, and radical religiosity (like, being horrid people justifying via religion, not believing, so please don’t give me any bs) than any other developed country. We stopped dreaming. We landed on the moon. Then we descended into a greedy, fake society, while the rest of the world move forward. That’s probably why other countries look down on us, or at least why I look down on the country I call home.

Flag Post

LOL please. The US doesn’t care about our people. We give tax breaks to oil companies and rich people, we allowed SEEDS to be copyrighted, patented property, and we basically say “fuck the poor and homeless, we want more guns”. That is the govt and much of society at least.

Originally posted by bugso:
Originally posted by GentleGyroGinger:

Some foreign assholes would say we don’t care about our people, some assholes would say we care to much.

we just act like we care
lol

Flag Post
Pure US bullshit. That’s why I switched to BBC.

Gentlemen, allow me to present the hipster in its native environment.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

Pure US bullshit. That’s why I switched to BBC.

Gentlemen, allow me to present the hipster in its native environment.

LOL you got me there. If you look at it though, American media is US-centric, and filled with fluff stories. Like you don’t see a story about a cute local kitten on the BBC.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cdledzep13:American media is US-centric

I wonder why.

Originally posted by cdledzep13:Like you don’t see a story about a cute local kitten on the BBC.

Nearly all news outlets, especially major ones, do fluff pieces. Here is a fluff piece the BBC did on some local kittens: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-20266653

You have fallen victim to the anti-American bandwagon. The bandwagon that says that America is just full of itself, and doesn’t have anything nearly as good as foreign stuff. America has reached saturation for the rest of the world, and it has become the vogue thing to do, the trendy thing, to rail against American stuff and flaunt the fact that you use something other than American. Whether that is news, or politics, or education, or music, or games, or whateverthefuck… I can’t wait until the bandwagon goes from vogue to cliche. Then, when everyone realizes that the rest of the world has its faults, just like America does, and that it is nothing new, and they begin to give credit to the US when it is due, then people like you will fall off the bandwagon. People like you who do stuff because you see other people doing it. People like you who follow culture and trends, who recite the same bullshit they read somewhere, or heard someone else saying. When people like you fall off of one bandwagon, and quickly jump onto another, I’ll be the same place, down here, pointing out the inane bullshit you guys preach, too busy having your heads up your asses to realize that you’re absolutely wrong. To busy nodding in agreement and patting each other on the back to realize the trend you follow exists just because it is a trend, and not because it has merit. You are person #5,748,433 in a large mass of people who are unable to think for yourself, so you all think for each other, in one massive, idiotic, lump of annoying shit.

Wake up from that. See that product A that you slander and try to replace with product B, is, in essence, the same exact thing, often sold to you by the exact same person.

Flag Post

We don’t often agree, but that is SUM GUD RANT against the hipster pestilence.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:speaking english will be considered counter-culture.

Ugh. Then I’ll be trendy. I don’t want the bandwagon to join me. Guess I’d better learn Chinese.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cdledzep13:
American media is US-centric,

You mean that U.S news covers U.S news? How unheard of for news stations in a country focus on news in that country, it’s almost like they’re trying to share news to the people about things that are going on close to them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

I wonder why.

Originally posted by cdledzep13:Like you don’t see a story about a cute local kitten on the BBC.

Nearly all news outlets, especially major ones, do fluff pieces. Here is a fluff piece the BBC did on some local kittens: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-20266653

You have fallen victim to the anti-American bandwagon.

Ya mean like how jake-o is so anti-Federal govt? Ya mean how the many domestic & foriegn ppl are anti-American “gun saturation”, ya mean how these ppl are anti-American when it comes to things here such as: racism, homophobia, poor diets, pathetic healthcare for many, greatly disproportionate economic strata?

MyTie, this rant (by jake-o’s definition…lol) of yours appears to apply to MAINSTREAM America rather that the pennical of a pyramidal progression. At least that is how I’m seeing it. Of course, NO ONE is going to be able to address something as complex as American culture in 25-words-or-less.

The bandwagon that says that America is just full of itself, and doesn’t have anything nearly as good as foreign stuff.

And yet, there are a whooooooole lot of ppl who are getting damned pissed at just how shitty Chinese products are….compared to what was once manufactured in America?

America has reached saturation for the rest of the world, and it has become the vogue thing to do, the trendy thing, to rail against American stuff and flaunt the fact that you use something other than American.

Hmmmmm…I guess one would have to agree w/ ya there…IF ya have a look at all the foreign cars on the road. But then, maybe ppl aren’t doing it to “flaunt” anything….maybe the product is just BETTER.

BUT, maybe this anti-America depiction is nothing more than the typical quest by most ppl to want “something new” and such just isn’t “made-in-America” any longer because so many American businesses have shipped jobs overseas. Ergo, even our own capitalist are being anti-American.

Whether that is news, or politics, or education, or music, or games, or whateverthefuck… I can’t wait until the bandwagon goes from vogue to cliche.

It always does….DUH. How else would there be the “grass-is-greener-….” effect that generates “NEW & IMPROVED”?
The following rant seems to be a little harsh on cleddzep as well as overly presumptive and a (typically?) conservative view…“my country, right or wrong, is the best”.

Then, when everyone realizes that the rest of the world has its faults, just like America does, and that it is nothing new, and they begin to give credit to the US when it is due, then people like you will fall off the bandwagon.
God forbid America once was exporting so much of the very thing YOU speak of. Even today, via wars we are trying to export democracy. I guess foriegn trade is a bad thing.

People like you who do stuff because you see other people doing it. People like you who follow culture and trends, who recite the same bullshit they read somewhere, or heard someone else saying. When people like you fall off of one bandwagon, and quickly jump onto another,…

WOW….alert the media. A new human phenomenon has arisen! It’s about time we had some FOLLOWERS for all of these self-proclaimed LEADERS.
I think the term ya were shooting for is: supporter, fan, admirer, hanger-on, devotee, disciple, adherent, etc.

I’ll be the same place, down here, pointing out the inane bullshit you guys preach

, too busy having your heads up your asses to realize that you’re absolutely wrong.

MyTie…didn’t I see somewhere that YOU are a religious PREACHER? Don’t preachers usually have a “flock” to “shepherd”.
To busy nodding in agreement and patting each other on the back to realize the trend you follow exists just because it is a trend, and not because it has merit

All kinda SUBJECTIVE, preachy itself, and highly JUDGEMENTAL. Ergo, full of shit itself….by YOUR OWN definition.

You are person #5,748,433 in a large mass of people who are unable to think for yourself, so you all think for each other, in one massive, idiotic, lump of annoying shit.

Hmmm…sounds like a bunch of ppl in need of…A PREACHER. Let’s give Jesus a call. Let’s revive Elvis, reunite the Beatles (yeah, they were fucking FORIEGNERS….part of the “British invasion” of ’60’s music), hope there can be LEADERS for all of these “followers”.
Wake up from that. See that product A that you slander and try to replace with product B, is, in essence, the same exact thing, often sold to you by the exact same person.

While this is certainly true for some (a LOT?) of goods, ideas, practices….a shitty attitude of “conserve-the-status-quo” and reject ANYTHING NEW would likely have us still squatting around a fire in a cave.

We don’t often agree, but that is SUM GUD RANT against the hipster pestilence.

Yeah, hate to tell ya, but that particular “pertilence” died (was replaced) long ago …in the ’50’s along w/ the beatnik.

And, also quite interesing…YOUR concept of a hipster is #5 in this particular link,,, with #1 being exactly the very thing MyTie is barking FOR:

“Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20’s and 30’s that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although “hipsterism” is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too “edgy” for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The “effortless cool” urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities."

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

I wonder why.

You have fallen victim to the anti-American bandwagon. The bandwagon that says that America is just full of itself, and doesn’t have anything nearly as good as foreign stuff. America has reached saturation for the rest of the world, and it has become the vogue thing to do, the trendy thing, to rail against American stuff and flaunt the fact that you use something other than American. Whether that is news, or politics, or education, or music, or games, or whateverthefuck… I can’t wait until the bandwagon goes from vogue to cliche. Then, when everyone realizes that the rest of the world has its faults, just like America does, and that it is nothing new, and they begin to give credit to the US when it is due, then people like you will fall off the bandwagon. People like you who do stuff because you see other people doing it. People like you who follow culture and trends, who recite the same bullshit they read somewhere, or heard someone else saying. When people like you fall off of one bandwagon, and quickly jump onto another, I’ll be the same place, down here, pointing out the inane bullshit you guys preach, too busy having your heads up your asses to realize that you’re absolutely wrong. To busy nodding in agreement and patting each other on the back to realize the trend you follow exists just because it is a trend, and not because it has merit. You are person #5,748,433 in a large mass of people who are unable to think for yourself, so you all think for each other, in one massive, idiotic, lump of annoying shit.

I’m sorry for making this so long, but I don’t know how to quote only a portion. You got me there, there is obviously fluff pieces on the BBC. I recede that point.
Also, I’m not a hipster. I don’t do things because they aren’t mainstream. I don’t dress in “vintage” clothing and only listen to indie rock while riding my longboard and writing a screenplay on my mac. I listen to Led Zeppelin for gods sake. I have a hipster friend, he’s so goddamn annoying. His tastes constantly change, and he’s so fucking predictable. Anyway,

I am not anti-American. I am frustrated with many things about this country, and other countries happen to do right. Like healthcare. We are the only country developed country in the world where people go bankrupt because they get sick. Your healthcare is tied up in your work. So, if you lose your job, you lose virtually everything, because, guess what? Your retirement plan is ALSO covered in your job. So you have to start rebuilding your future, your health insurance, nearly everything from square 1 without your job. Also, in America, we are full of ourselves. Another thing I see wrong here is that we live in a culture of waste and excess. I’m not saying other countries do it better, maybe some do, maybe some don’t. I haven’t travelled the whole world. I’m also not saying I am not victim of this too, because I am. Nothing here means anything. The line from Pulp Fiction sums it up best “I’m American, our names don’t mean shit.” That’s really true about the whole society. Nothing here means anything. Or at least, how I see it.

I think there are many failings of the United States, but nothing we can’t fix. And no world or no country is perfect, never will be, but that doesn’t mean we can’t try. Although we’ll never reach perfection, always persist to try.

Flag Post

I’m sorry for making this so long, but I don’t know how to quote only a portion.

You know how to use html coding to shrink or enlarge words? well you basically do that (put small or big inside this: <>) only with “blockquote.” Without the quotation marks, obviously.

You can also see this quoting function be done automatically by looking at the first thing you see when you press the quote button.

Flag Post

Yeah, hate to tell ya, but that particular “pertilence” died (was replaced) long ago …in the ’50’s along w/ the beatnik.

Yeah, maybe you shouldn’t be lecturing me about what x is when you’ve never heard of it (can’t spell it either), had to look it up online, and STILL keeps mistaking it for some other thing that sounds similar.

Also, in America, we are full of ourselves. Another thing I see wrong here is that we live in a culture of waste and excess. I’m not saying other countries do it better, maybe some do, maybe some don’t. I haven’t travelled the whole world. I’m also not saying I am not victim of this too, because I am. Nothing here means anything. The line from Pulp Fiction sums it up best “I’m American, our names don’t mean shit.” That’s really true about the whole society. Nothing here means anything. Or at least, how I see it.

You treat pulp fiction like a deep-thinking narrative but you’re not a hipster. All righty. :-)

Yes, that’s true of our whole society. And by that I mean western civilization, all in. Big chunks of the east, too. Nothing means anything and hasn’t for, well, take your pick, the rise of consumerism? post-modernism? the cold war?

When I was in Korea, it really bugged me that I couldn’t understand what the koreans were saying. Couldn’t participate in any discussions that ‘mattered’. Later, though, once I studied the culture more, and noticed that they were basically a culturally shoddy version of stereotypical ‘main street USA’ with better tech, and a few other things, I realized that it didn’t matter if I didn’t speak korean because the vast majority of them had nothing worthwhile to say. They talk about simple stuff: girls they like, baseball, office gossip, that kind of thing. When I was there the North Koreans were getting ready to test their missiles. I can tell you, no one was talking about it. Even existential threats to their existence weren’t fit subjects to talk about, not at home, work, the bar, anywhere. In fact, the one time anyone talked about politics, it was over some idiotic island dispute they had with japan, and they had no difference of opinion – they all parroted exactly what their media was saying. Now, they’re not an unfree society. They’re just, by and large, an unthinking society, at least when it comes to introspection about self or state.

I mention this by way of pointing out that, yes indeed other countries act the same as the US, or worse, something you’ll figure out for yourself the more you travel. The only reason the US gets hit so hard, as mytie points out, is because of media saturation and their superpower status – the US is the elephant in the room, and whenever it moves, the rest of us better move with it or get stomped on. That tends to breed resentment on both sides. Lastly, it’s NOT fixable. Jhco’s pointed this out a few times…this forum, or forums like it, aren’t accurate representations of ‘society at large’. Not even american malaise society. Liberalism always thinks there has to be a ‘solution’ to social problems, and that idea has drifted into the mainstream. But any solution to this would require unacceptable curtailments of freedom. If you want to make a more informed citizen, a more self-aware society, you have to build these things at the nation state-level. It’s not feasible, and you wouldn’t like the results.

Flag Post
But any solution to this would require unacceptable curtailments of freedom. If you want to make a more informed citizen, a more self-aware society, you have to build these things at the nation state-level. It’s not feasible, and you wouldn’t like the results.

How would it demand ‘unacceptable curtailments of freedom’? One of the challenges inherent in modern partial solutions, is finding ways to decrease social problems without any visible curtailment of rights. It is doable, not easy, but doable. Mostly because we’re not limited to the ways things have been done in the past. New technologies demand a complete paradigm shift.

Much of the problem lays with education, and teaching individuals to think critically, whilst maximising their learning potential. Not easy to put it mildly, but certainly doable when we reach a sufficient level of development to be able to assign an individual teacher to each student.

Many of the other problems focus around a lack of interconnectivity. A lack of services to connect minds together, using methods that have a minimal – or no – learning curve. Give people the resources to help improve their social lives, their health status, and improve access to basic material goods whilst dropping the manufacturing price through the floor, and you will begin to diminish the social unrest and isolation issues which are much of the core of the problem.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

I’m sorry for making this so long, but I don’t know how to quote only a portion.

You know how to use html coding to shrink or enlarge words? well you basically do that (put small or big inside this: <>) only with “blockquote.” Without the quotation marks, obviously.

You can also see this quoting function be done automatically by looking at the first thing you see when you press the quote button.

ugh. american internal punctuation…can’t you yankies do anything without offending some or other senses? but aar, of course no media should be believed without any scepticism, but everyone knows that American media is horribly corrupt and uninformative. i don’t know that much about the BBC, i didn’t find much difference between BBC World and CNN, but then what American watches CNN? … anyway American media is atrocious, because it has to be, because American culture is. any media that’s not so far up it’s own butt all it could see is Sponteous Combustion, were that to exist, wouldn’t get any viewers in the USA.

but of course, reality is only some stupid interest of hipsters, eh…

Flag Post

Much of the problem lays with education, and teaching individuals to think critically, whilst maximising their learning potential. Not easy to put it mildly, but certainly doable when we reach a sufficient level of development to be able to assign an individual teacher to each student.

Ah yes, education – the liberal solution to everything. Want your kids to be more rational? More education. Dump all the judeo-christian superstition? More education. Greater awareness/interest in the Green Movement? Education. And so on, extending all the way to ‘reducing the surplus right-wing population’. I had one on one education in high school, as did everyone else at my school. It had almost no discernable effect.

By my count we’ve had critical thinking in classrooms across north america and europe since the early 1990s, in some places earlier. And what do we have to show for it? Critical thinking INCREASES isolationist anti-social mentalities. I’m sure everyone on this forum thinks of themselves as ‘critical thinkers’…that’s why they’re here, after all.

And finally, the standard vika answer: New technology, perhaps via a hive mind / heavy duty socialism will save the day. It’s funny you talk about paradigm shift but I might easily have mistaken you for one of those Fabian cultists from 90 years ago.

Flag Post
Ah yes, education – the liberal solution to everything. Want your kids to be more rational? More education. Dump all the judeo-christian superstition? More education. Greater awareness/interest in the Green Movement? Education. And so on, extending all the way to ‘reducing the surplus right-wing population’. I had one on one education in high school, as did everyone else at my school. It had almost no discernable effect.

A proper education will help rational thinking, absolutely. But it has nothing to do with ‘dumping all the judeo-christian superstition’. That’s a symptom of a bad education system. They’re not encouraging the kids to make their own minds up, but instead trying to make them fit a certain mold. That is precisely the opposite of what a good education system should be doing.

A good system works to the strengths of the individual, giving them basic facts, teaching them how to research, how to delve deeper,and giving them a wide array of cognitive tools. A good system will not suppress any information, but encourage exploration, and above all make learning fun.

You can only really do that with 1:1 tuition, a dedicated teacher for every student, and access to considerable massed resources of knowledge and access to specialists. A dedicated dynamic learning plan for every individual student is necessary.

This kind of massive investment is only going to be possible when you augment the human teaching staff with resources that have never before been available. Artificial minds, synthetic consciousnesses – intelligent autonomous agents who can bond with the children as personal learning supervisors, and who can discuss with the subject teacher (if we even still have a traditional subject teacher) where the individual is failing, and where extra support might be necessary.

So long as the basics are covered – high degree of literacy, critical thought, inquisitiveness, basic facts about biology, physics, chemistry, are covered. Then the individual is free to roam as deep into any religiousity as they like – and teaching all of them from an inclusive point of view is to be encouraged. Equally so, as deep into artwork as they wish to go should be encouraged. Teach the basics about form and function, about how various effects are achieved. Make sure they are safe using whatever tools they require, and give them access to deeper knowledge if they so desire it.

Education is supposed to guide and instruct the students on their own chosen course, not choose that course for them.

We’ve ended up with a sausage factory mentality, and ‘teaching to the test’, as we’ve never had the resources to do it properly in all but the most elitist of schools. It is insanely difficult to design a curriculum tailor-made to th strengths and weaknesses of each student on a personal level. It has always been cost-prohibitive to employ as many tahing staff as there are students, and the risks of bad teachers always follow when you employ too many, or don’t provide proper oversight.

Only through such methods as artificial minds tailor-made for such purposes, that don’t have all the usual human baggage (such as exhaustion, frustration, a need to eat, and draw a wage to survive), and considerable investment in support infrastructure – both human and computational – can such a paradigm shift occur.

By my count we’ve had critical thinking in classrooms across north america and europe since the early 1990s, in some places earlier.

Nope. We teach to the test. Its a factory mentality. Teahers essentially preach to the children, trying to force a particular point of view in. This information is regurgitated for the test, then it is forgotten, unimportant in the race to cover the next test. This isn’t education, but indocrination.

A lot of that is a mad scramble to trey and produce meaningful, measurable results to compare schooling to a flat set of criteria. A lot of the rest of it, is a drive for standardised education for each individual, with the pupils graded according to how they fit a standard criterion model. For the human mind, that sort of approach is never ideal. The fundamentals must be covered, yes absolutely. But education’s purpose is not to force a particular point of view down the students’ throats. To do that is a corruption of education.

And finally, the standard vika answer: New technology, perhaps via a hive mind / heavy duty socialism will save the day. It’s funny you talk about paradigm shift but I might easily have mistaken you for one of those Fabian cultists from 90 years ago.

Providing these ‘fabian cultists’ you speak of, changed things for the better, using methods and procedures that were completely impossible for our race to achieve prior, going down new pathways that the human mind alone was utterly incapable of, then the analogy fits.

If they did not, then the analogy breaks.

Flag Post

On the subject of the BBC, a small piece that may be of some interest to those participating in this thread: link

Tries to examine/explain the British view of Americans. Can’t say I agree with all of it, but it’d be a boring world if we all agreed about everything.

Flag Post

Yeah, maybe you shouldn’t be lecturing me about what x is when you’ve never heard of it (can’t spell it either), had to look it up online, and STILL keeps mistaking it for some other thing that sounds similar. Just a thought, dumbass.

Oh crap, now I’ve gotta report to the arena for 50 lashes ‘cuz of a TYPO….lol
Really “mature” of ya to point it out, tho. 0¿~
BTW…since there are times my spell-check craps out on me, ya’re highly likely to see many misspelled words….I am a horrible speller.
BUT, I attend a support group for it….Misspeelers Anonamus

Oh, kiddo….I have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of “lecturing” YOU.
Hell, I don’t even have an INTEREST,
I don’t even give a fuck if YOU read me or not.
So, please don’t “flatter” yourself on my dime….LOL

NOW, I think I just might make effort to be sure I’m able to sort out all of that crap ya just barffed up there.
Are ya meaning “x” as in ecstasy?
Or, “x” to mean just-about-EVERYTHING?
OR, is “x” now the new antecedent for “it”?
Do YOU seriously think I actually had to look HIPERSTER up on line….as if I didn’t already know what it is….BECAUSE I LIVED IN THE TIME IT WAS A POPULAR TERM?
So, are YOU gonna keep this “..some other thing that sounds similar” to yourself?
Maybe it is YOU who really doesn’t know this issue as well as YOU PRETEND. LOL

Do ya know: I’m hep…hep cat…cool cats….daddy-o
Hell hath no fury like a child scorned. Duh! ha ha
Truce?
NOT!
Too much fun as it is.

OH, btw…vika just handed ya yer ass on the topic of the value of “education of the masses”.
She obviously sees the world’s “glass” as being half-full and a fountain (of knowledge) nearby.
YOU, on the other hand, present yer typical, pessimistic, disdainful (but “interesting”) perspecitve of the glass being half-empty and the “rot-0-society” eating away at the whole of it.

Are there social issues on this planet, esp. in the U.S….SURE.
However, it is ppl who have a POSITIVE attitude about solving the problems, rather than gloating because they so well know them, that will those who merit listening to.

With the recent (AND future) advancements in technology that affects the accumulation of & distribution of knowledge….EDUCATION is poised to take a huge leap that will have a profound impact on social structure.

Man stumbled upon fire before he had build a good fire engine.
We learned far too much about things we really weren’t ready for….
NOW, we have the tools with which we can rationally use our knowledge.
Isn’t THAT pretty much what a truly successful society really comes down to…a widespread sharing of knowledge, resources, economic merit, etc.?

It’s a lot like that saying: An army travels (advances) on its stomach.
Well, a society advances via its SHARED KNOWLEDGE.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cdledzep13: I don’t do things because they aren’t mainstream.

You misunderstood me. I didn’t mean to say that you do stuff because it is mainstream, but I meant that you DO things because you think they AREN’T mainstream, which is, actually, a very mainstream thing to do. Counter-Culture has become the culture. All of the people who think they are unique, are just as unique as everyone else, who also think they are totally completely unique, just like everyone else. You think you are bucking the system, and a rebel, but so is everyone else, so you are mainstream. Which brings us to this lump of shit:

Originally posted by cdledzep13:We are the only country developed country in the world where people go bankrupt because they get sick.
What the fuck dude? If any line is overused, this one is. You name a country, and I’ll tell you something shitty it’s government is doing. Whether you agree with the US’s healthcare system, or not, pointing out ONE problem it has, and singling it out from among nations as somehow worse than all of them, is pretty shitty. You can do that if you can point to a wide and engulfing range of problems, like in North Korea, where people aren’t allowed to do shit without permission from their Dear Leader, but the US is a fairly decent country, by any reasonable account. Hating the US is simply the “in” thing to do, and the line you are using to hate it is a trendy one indeed.
Originally posted by cdledzep13:Also, in America, we are full of ourselves.

Pride is a problem isolated to the US? Or do you just get that impression from watching TV? Or are you speaking of people who are proud of their country? Is it wrong for a resident and citizen of the US to be proud of the past triumphs of the US? Or, should we be ashamed of our mistakes? Should we just hang our heads in shame? I hate this fucking anti-US attitude. It isn’t an anti-US logic, it’s an attitude. I can fight a shitty argument, but I can’t fight a shitty attitude.
Originally posted by cdledzep13:Nothing here means anything. Or at least, how I see it.
This is ambiguous and false. Things here “mean stuff”, to lots of people. People have rich, diverse, and varying ways of life. If all you see is the stereotypical red neck, then yeah, I can see how you would think the life pointless, but it appears to me that you are just watching TV too much, and haven’t gone out into the US culture and gotten to know anyone, except your shitty hipster friend who complains that the US doesn’t pay for people’s healthcare. WHAAAAAAA. Tell him to stop whining and get a job. I’m sick of the US being the only country you can see through stereotypes. Why not whine about the French because they all smell bad and don’t shave their armpits? Why not whine about Brits because they all wear monicles and drink tea. Why not whine about Iran because they all pray on rugs and want to kill the infadels? Why not whine about China because their eyes look funny and they eat rice? Why? Because that would make you look like an ignorant jerk. But, talk about the one country that it is trendy, that it is MAINSTREAM, to complain about, and no problems. Right? RIGHT? Fuck off.

@karma – I saw that you replied to one of my posts. I didn’t read what you said, though. I don’t read what you post. I don’t care what you have to say, about anything. Have a good day.

Flag Post

it’s a social brainwashing. We see the armies of opposing countries as enemies who wish intently for our destruction. Why? Because it’s the easy way to see things. Cuz if we had to admit that the enemy army is really just a bunch of people who would rather be at home, relaxing, but have come to defend their country, then we would feel like shit for letting them die.
This is not just a problem for Americans, but for any country. Whether you are Canadian, American, Japanese, African, English, etc; You will most likely feel this way. This goes for bad events unrelated to war, if they are not of our country, we usually dont care.

The only question at this point is why so many media sources care more about America’s cries for their dead than any other country.
Simple answer is simple; Power. America has alot of power, therefore people will try to please them so they wont get all pissy and shoot everyone’s head off. Yes, I think no one really wants to hear the whining of a country losing 3 soldiers while you’ve just suffered the death of 3000 people from starvation, but if you dont want American tanks knocking down your country’s houses, as a leader, you gotta keep your mouth shut and a tear in your eye.

Flag Post

I don’t think the US chooses its targets based on which country reported the least on its last loss.

I think the reason there is more reported about the US tragedy, is that the US just has more of a presence in reporting. There are more media outlets, better funded, more reporters, more outlets for it, more American ownership of foreign news agencies, and more users of the internet from the US than any other country. This is the “Spanish Flu Symdrome”. Look up why the Spanish Flu was called the Spanish Flu. It started on a US base in the US, but got the name the “Spanish” flu because Spain had better media at the time, and reported about it, so it came to be known as such.