Can homosexuals be changed? ( Genetics is the topic )

1339 posts

Flag Post

I know little about genetics, but I was wondering.

If homosexuals are proven one day to be born gay and it’s in their genes, would it be possible for parents to run a test on the child in the womb and change it’s genes so it won’t be born gay? Or vice versa?

Imagine the shame of a conservative couple who have a child that tests show will be gay. Instead of the shame of having a gay boy or girl, they can change him/her to be in their eyes ‘normal under god’ or something.

Imagine the shame of a lesbian couple who find out their daughter will be born sadly straight. This cannot stand because all of their gay friends will make fun of them for not fighting the good fight vs. the ‘dinosaurs’ ( straight people ). No problem, they can go in and force the baby to become gay like them.

Now I did some research and I think if I am right we are or are close to being able to determine the sex of a baby 100% of the time, and soon hair color, height, average build, breast size, penis size, even if the child will be athletic leaning or brainy. I could easily be wrong about some of them..

Does this start to get into eugenics? If the parents own the fetus and the fetus is legally NOT human, they can do anything they want to the fetus, correct? (legally) Even abort the fetus..

I would also like to announce that this is my first post in trying to give out a better overall fair sounding post. I tried to think of both sides, but I admit I am not gay so I had to think like I think gays in the future will or something. On the other hand, I am sure republican church going people will still be the same as I wrote 25 years from now.

I would like feedback on my new diplomatic approach. I am doing this since people have told me I come off as rude and abrasive. I was even called a troll which I deny 100%

Well, enjoy the topic.. I think lots to talk about!

Flag Post

If homosexuals are proven one day to be born gay and it’s in their genes, would it be possible for parents to run a test on the child in the womb and change it’s genes so it won’t be born gay? Or vice versa?

If homosexuality is proven to be purely genetic (which isn’t likely), and if we can find all the individual genes that make someone homosexual, and if we’re one day able to pick and choose our children’s complete genetic makeup (which is slightly more likely, but a long way away) then sure, it’d be possible.

I’d hope that by that point in the future no-one will care about something so irrelevant though.

Flag Post

I don’t think you should be able to change anything about it. It’s going to be a human being not a cup of coffee.

Flag Post

Why don’t we “fix” the genes that give someone black skin too?

Flag Post

That’s kind of racist.

Flag Post

It’s about as discriminatory as the suggestion in the OP is. Which is the point I’m trying to make.

Flag Post

That’s kind of racist.

Isn’t that kinda the point? The only difference is that “fixing” homosexuality refers to “fixing” sexuality instead of skin pigmentation.

Flag Post

Actually his post wasn’t biased. He said gays and lesbians could have gay kids instead of straight too.

Flag Post

Actually his post wasn’t biased.

Can homosexuals be fixed

Yeah. Sure it wasn’t.

Anyway, my point isn’t biased either. Black people can have black kids instead of white ones too.

Flag Post

No you only said

He said

Imagine the shame of a lesbian couple who find out their daughter will be born sadly straight. This cannot stand because all of their gay friends will make fun of them for not fighting the good fight vs. the ‘dinosaurs’ ( straight people ). No problem, they can go in and force the baby to become gay like them.

And

Imagine the shame of a conservative couple who have a child that tests show will be gay. Instead of the shame of having a gay boy or girl, they can change him/her to be in their eyes ‘normal under god’ or something.

Flag Post

Can homosexuals be fixed

That is the opening of this thread. Are you trying to tell me that that statement is somehow not demeaning to people of homosexual orientation?

Flag Post

The OP assumes that straight people are always going to be ashamed of having a homosexual child and that homosexuals would be ashamed to have a straight child. That assumption is already absurd.

He then goes on to say:

No problem, they can go in and force the baby to become gay like them.

therefore assuming that homosexuals would force their way by nature. That’s not the case at all.

Flag Post

Come on Jabor… I said ‘fixed/changed’ to represent two different sides!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vanguarde:

Come on Jabor… I said ‘fixed/changed’ to represent two different sides!

If you want it to represent both sides change it to can/should homo/hetero-sexuals be fixed/changed.

Flag Post

It’s not absurd! What is absurd is you thinking that everyone will ACCEPT gays/straights without any possible backlash. Lots more people accept blacks than the 60’s, but there are may racists sadly still.

What I do know within the next 15 years if this is available people of both straight and gay sides WILL choose to fix the sex of their baby if they know it would stop it from being gay/straight.

And also, will it be possible to change the skin color, eye shape, etc? It is possible now? I really don’t know lots about genetics and genetic engineering

Flag Post

I am representing it from an ANGRY christian couple who find out their baby is gay, who go to church every day, pray, etc. Hardliners. I am sure they would use the slur ‘fixed’ when talking about their baby as if it were a disease. I think they gays would say ‘changed’ since they are already more tolerant and possibly have lesser faith in religion due to backlash to homosexuals. They are also more open to ideas.

Feel free to use homo/hetero-sexuals be fixed/changed though if it makes it easier to contribute to the talk.

EDIT: I am making an effort to better ‘feel’ each side in this battle. And in other threads as well, but over 12 years online have turned me into a VERY jaded, upset, sad, and at times angry person. When I started to use the net I was innocent, now I am so with the net I see right through it and it has changed me. I can still be good and polite, but now it takes effort where when I started it was natural and I had to be make an effort to be mean! TRUE story.

Flag Post

I am representing it from an ANGRY christian couple who find out their baby is gay, who go to church every day, pray, etc. Hardliners. I am sure they would use the slur ‘fixed’ when talking about their baby as if it were a disease. I think they gays would say ‘changed’ since they are already more tolerant and possibly have lesser faith in religion due to backlash to homosexuals. They are also more open to ideas.

Feel free to use homo/hetero-sexuals be fixed/changed though if it makes it easier to contribute to the talk.

If they were hardliners they would realize that the Bible says that you shouldn’t judge other people. That judgment is left up to God. They would be failing as Christians to be so judgmental about their child.

Flag Post

But I know for a fact hardliners tend to ‘ignore’ or ‘shuffle away’ or my favorite ‘re-interpet’ the passages to their liking when they need it..

Flag Post

But I know for a fact hardliners tend to ‘ignore’ or ‘shuffle away’ or my favorite ‘re-interpet’ the passages to their liking when they need it..

You assume all hardliners act one way. You seem to make assumptions that cover 100% of the people you are making assumptions about. Since your assumptions are flawed the rest of your arguments are flawed.

Flag Post

Yep. Is homosexuality “wrong” in your eyes, Vanguarde? If you fix something, it has to be broken-are homosexuals broken? Though I suppose if they could find out if a child was gay and the child’s parents were Muslim, it might be a preety good idea to change them…

Flag Post

yeah, fix implies its broken.

Flag Post

As this is based on the assumption that homosexuality has been proven to be genetic, the technology/techniques needed to identify the homosexual gene would be quite advanced. If scientists had managed to do this then there is a chance they would have advanced enough to be able to remove the geen in question. Whether this is ethically/morally acceptable is another question entirely.

Flag Post

Assuming sexuality lies in genes, I would deliberately engineer a retrovirus to turn all heterosexuals into homosexuals, just to spite the fundamentalists.

Now on a more serious note, you are missing a big part of all this Vanguarde. Most genetic ‘conditions’ exist for a reason. Arbitrarily wiping out what idiots deem to be ‘flawed’ traits will reduce the diversity of our species. Give it enough turns in the wrong direction, and such an attitude would be literally setting us up for extinction.

Does this start to get into eugenics?

It is eugenics.

Flag Post
even if the child will be athletic leaning or brainy

That seems to imply that those two qualities are mutually exclusive. Is there any proven tendency for people to be notably intelligent, or notably athletic, but nothing in between? I doubt it.

Flag Post

why so many homophobics